Linux

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

adding Linux packages support

yea
46%
NO WAY
54%

Total votes: 35

jcs4linus

Linux

Post by jcs4linus »

Does it run linux packages :?: :?:
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

I don't think that this thread has anything to do in the news section.
Lucractius

Post by Lucractius »

i dont either, seing as he asked it again somewhere else as well.
GvG

Post by GvG »

Moved from News forum to General Discussion
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

You need to use something like cygwin.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Not really need something like cygwin.

POSIX extention from Microsoft will run a lot of Linux apps.

Problem Microsoft Extention is out of date in a lot of areas.

Up todate Posix extention with a X11 display interface will run almost all Linux apps. Ie apps that directly access hardware will not work the rest would.

POSIX layor is not complete.

Reactos alreadly support elf exes. Posix interface. Runs more. Glibc would also be required.

Most people don't relize that over 90 percent of Linux apps run on BSD/Unix. Basicly anything with upto date Posix support and X11 support. This is not that hard of a jump. Think to be complete Microsoft compad we need the Posix section any how.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

i wouldn't consider myself a microsoft "fan", and i have used several distros of linux, but i hate the way linux software is distributed. package managers make installing programs easier, but overall, it's a pain. dependency hell is still a problem--it seems like every time i install 1 program the package managers always have to download 22 parts of this and that. whereas my only gripe with windows is that programs still try to add or overwrite files to the windows or system32 directories. (why can't they all just follow id's examples and install everything to one folder and use CFG files!) all well. (end rant)
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

oiaohm wrote: Most people don't relize that over 90 percent of Linux apps run on BSD/Unix. Basicly anything with upto date Posix support and X11 support. This is not that hard of a jump. Think to be complete Microsoft compad we need the Posix section any how.
POSIX compliance in Windows2K/NT pretty much halted when MS broke it off with IBM. i think it goes to v1.1 of POSIX support.

from MS's support database:
The POSIX subsystem included with Windows NT and Windows 2000 is not included with Windows XP Professional. A new subsystem supporting the broad functionality found on most UNIX systems beyond the POSIX.1 standard is shipped as part of Interix 2.2. The Interix subsystem can be certified to the NIST FIPS 151-2 POSIX Conformance Test Suite.

For more information about Interix 2.2, see the Microsoft Interix 2.2 link on the Web Resources page http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
jatos

Post by jatos »

Well if posix support was built into ReactOS, I would love as there some Linux programs that would be very handy in ReactOS.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Ok they pass 1992 standard NIST FIPS 151-2 POSIX Conformance Test Suite is IEEE Std. 2003.1-1992. This is the min standard you have to pass to be POSIX.

Last for numbers are the year of the standard. Does not help that IEEE 1003.1™-2001 is current inforced from 2003. Due to fight over Profile PSE54 of IEEE 1003.13-2003. It took a few years for everyone to agree over that bit.

Ok Microsoft Posix is majorly out of date. Lets think about it how would you go if I gave Win3.11 and Office XP and I want Office XP install on Win 3.11 by the end of day. You would be stuffed. This is exactly what Microsoft POSIX support is like.

Also they don't provide X11 services. Upto date programs expect alot more upto date functions. Note they say UNIX systems. Not FreeBSD and Linux systems. There are alot of dead UNIX's to lower the bar. Microsoft Posix does not provide all the functions that a modern day Posix program expects to do console let allown anything else.

A few places we whould have to hack. Verry few linux games directly interface with the joystick and the like. Most interface threw stuff like SDL. So as long as a working version of the interface dlls are provided everything will be nice. Same with most applications. Most CD burning programs interface threw cdtools or equal. These have windows versions.

Most programs in Linux that are OS dependent either are unrequired or have version already that work for windows.

Ok my gripe with Linux Standard Base. Why in heck did thay have to go with RPM. DEB had better tools that will do the downloading for you and tell you what the total ammount of downloads will be for the program plus dependancys. DEB distros are less painfull. I have had complete novices installing and removing programs without causing any trouble. Hopefully one day RPM distros catch up.

When I say microsofts posix ran lot of programs. I should have been more correct a lot of old linux programs from about 1994.

There is a free benchmark and test for Posix http://posixtest.sourceforge.net/. Its alot more upto date. Any one feel like sending there XP to hell. Its used to check that linux kernels stick to standard from 2001. Its very upto date.

I would say anyone developing a posix for Reactos should use this test as a min bar. And even the Linux does not pass everything.