HELP????!!!!!!!

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

dcib

HELP????!!!!!!!

Post by dcib »

:?: when i try 2 install reactos it says use add/remove programs 2 install
system components so i can't install ReactOS (im using win 2000 pro)
frik85
Developer

Re: HELP????!!!!!!!

Post by frik85 »

dcib wrote::?: when i try 2 install reactos it says use add/remove programs 2 install
system components so i can't install ReactOS (im using win 2000 pro)
You should reboot your pc and install it (-> no Win32 Setup available)!

Insert the ReactOS setup CD-ROM into a CD-ROM drive and reboot your computer. On the next boot, the ReactOS setup utility will start.
Follow the instructions on the screen to install ReactOS on your computer.
After the installation has finished, remove the setup CD-ROM from the CD-ROM drive and press "Return" to reboot your computer. Now, you can start ReactOS by selecting it from the boot menu.

More Infos: http://www.reactos.com/en/reactos_unifi ... etup_cdrom
dcib

tried (but thanx 4 replying)

Post by dcib »

i have tried that (set 2 boot from cd in bios)
says boot from cd: failure....
then loads windows
Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz »

As you are using Win2000 do the folowing :

1) Download the ReactOS ISO from Souceforge or the daily CVS build (the active work in progress version, not stable and more prone to bugs) from the Casper Hornstrup web page.

2) Extract it with WinZip or any other extracting software:

3) Now use Nero or any othe Software able to burn a CD image to a real CD. (if you have any doubt about burning CD image this tutorial can help)

4) Once you have created the ReactOS CD, restart your computer it will probably boot from the CD by default if it does not you have to enter in the BIOS to enable it (here a good tutorial).

5) You will be welcomed by the ReactOS setup page:

6) You are given the option to install the Bootloader in the harddisk (WinXP-2000 and NT recomended) or install in a Floppy (win 95-98 recomended). But last time I tried to install in a Floopy it did not work for me.(dont fear to install the bootloader in the harddisk, it wont touch the boot sector of your HD -unless you are using Win95 and 98-, it will only add a text line to the boot.ini file)

If you still have problems, post again and i will tell you a diferent (a bit more messy) way that relies into a boot disk.
dcib

tried

Post by dcib »

i ve already burned 3 cd's with sonic record (the first 2 times i thought there was something wrong with the cd)
still says boot from cd; failure...
then loads windows
ive already Set It To BOOT FROM CD in the BIOS.
Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz »

It seems a problem with the CD burning, get sure you are burning the CD with the option "burn a CD image" not just coping the ISO file to the CD. Maybe trying with other recording software.

If it still dont work this is the alternative option (is not optimal as you dont get the setup screen, but it works for me)

1) Download the ReactOS binaries (8 Megs) from sourceforge or the casper Hornstrup CVS site http://reactos.csh-consult.dk/index.php?page=snapshots

2) Use Winzip to extract them to C:\ that way a Folder called C:\ReactOS will be created with all the reactos files.

3) Download the Program Rawwrite for windows http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm and extract it to any folder you wish.

4) Download the Freeloader Floopy Disk image http://reactos.csh-consult.dk/index.php?page=snapshots and extract it to any folder you wish.

5) Insert a new formated Floopy Disk and Execute Rawwrite:

6) Select the image file from the folder you extracted the Freeloader:

7) Press write, and wait till the program ends writing the image to the Floopy.

8) Restart the computer booting from the Floopy Disk:

-------------------------------------

Tell me if it works for you.
Stof91

Post by Stof91 »

Lucio Diaz wrote:It seems a problem with the CD burning, get sure you are burning the CD with the option "burn a CD image" not just coping the ISO file to the CD. Maybe trying with other recording software.

If it still dont work this is the alternative option (is not optimal as you dont get the setup screen, but it works for me)

1) Download the ReactOS binaries (8 Megs) from sourceforge or the casper Hornstrup CVS site http://reactos.csh-consult.dk/index.php?page=snapshots

2) Use Winzip to extract them to C:\ that way a Folder called C:\ReactOS will be created with all the reactos files.

3) Download the Program Rawwrite for windows http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm and extract it to any folder you wish.

4) Download the Freeloader Floopy Disk image http://reactos.csh-consult.dk/index.php?page=snapshots and extract it to any folder you wish.

5) Insert a new formated Floopy Disk and Execute Rawwrite:

6) Select the image file from the folder you extracted the Freeloader:

7) Press write, and wait till the program ends writing the image to the Floopy.

8) Restart the computer booting from the Floopy Disk:

-------------------------------------

Tell me if it works for you.
This won't work if C: is a non-Fat partition, and if the drive Windows is installed on (C: ), isn't the first partition. :)
dcib

Post by dcib »

do u mean extract the file from the iso then burn it 2 cd ? if so done that
so im goin 2 have 2 do it the hard way.... :(
Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz »

No, not at all, once you have ReactOS.iso that is the file you have to Copy to the CD... but not the normal way by "coping a file" but with the option "burn CD image" that almost all burning software have (Nero, easy cd creator...).

This tutorial can help to burn an ISO

http://members.home.nl/lsnoek/iso.htm#Burning an ISO image

It "should work", if not, the alternative way.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

dcib wrote:do u mean extract the file from the iso then burn it 2 cd ? if so done that
so im goin 2 have 2 do it the hard way.... :(
No!

Use a cd burning program and select the iso-file and burn the image to cd.
dcib

Tried

Post by dcib »

ive got a copy of linux now anyway (p.s ive burned iso's onto cd before i don't need a tutorial! :roll: (how do u think i got win 2000 :wink: ))
Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz »

jejeje, there are users of every level, and some people have never burned and iso.

Still, if you want a funtional OS, reactos is still in alpha stage, and have a lot of work before it is funtional for final users.

Still i am amazed for the speed of development, i just tried yesterday the livecd from the latest CVS build and i became quite surprised.
rimeshot

ISO Image & Bootable CDs

Post by rimeshot »

I was wondering if after you unzip reactos-0.2.5-iso.zip you get ReactOS.iso. Then take WinImage and image the ISO to a folder of your choosing. After that burn the folder to a CD. Will the CD be bootable?
GvG

Post by GvG »

No, it won't be bootable if you do it that way. A bootable CD-ROM needs an "El-Torito" bootsector.