ScreenShooter

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mrkaras

ScreenShooter

Post by Mrkaras » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:35 am

I made a program almost a year ago to take screen shots of reactos running on real hardware because aparantly nobody could get any other ones to work, just recently i saw somebody mention this in a message so if it is still useful I have made an updated version.
It now has:
an icon
saves as .jpg rather than .bmp
you can now capture an area rather than full screen, just strech the form to cover what you want to capture and press the button.

I tested this on reactos 0.2.9 running in VMware player, real hardware shouldn't make any difference.
http://www.sharemation.com/lanmail/othe ... hooter.zip

GvG

Post by GvG » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:50 pm

What language is it written in? If C or C++, would you be willing to release it under the GPL so we can include it in rosapps?

temarez

Post by temarez » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:19 pm

It seems to be written on Delphi... :cry:

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

I will release the code if you like but yes it is writen in delphi.
It is quite symple. although I have done very little C it is probably a good place to start.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:51 pm

It needs to be in C to go into rosapps.

If you could convert it, or convince someone to do it for you, it would be a nice addition for people using ros on real hardware.

temarez

Post by temarez » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:52 pm

API for implementation of PrnScr behavior is no ready as far as I understood (as well as full-featured clipboard). So I think this snapshot utility will be very useful. Please translate it into C to make it available in rosapps and community won't forget you :wink:

Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:24 pm

Mrkaras wrote:I will release the code if you like but yes it is writen in delphi.
It is quite symple. although I have done very little C it is probably a good place to start.
Great Mrkaras!
You can start to code for ROS by making your utility in C, good idea!

counting_pine

Post by counting_pine » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:09 pm

Could you get it to save as PNG instead of / as well as JPG, please? JPEG compression artefacts look quite ugly in screnshots, and at the moment most ReactOS screenshots will probably be smaller as PNG than JPG.

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:03 am

I will see what i can do about png, Im struggling with C++ a bit, but i have somebody heare that can help a bit, I can't even get a button on a form at the moment but i'm getting there. There arn't any free c/c++ editors around with a form designer/RAD are there? I am useing dev C++ at the moment. C++ is ok for rosapps isn't it or does it have to be streight C?

BrandonTurner
Developer

Post by BrandonTurner » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:24 am

C is prefered.... if it is C++, the devs might need to discuss. However, if you can give us C++ we(i can volunteer myself) to convert it for you.

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:59 am

The ROS package manager should be able to handle it until it's ported.

Thanks for making this!

menn

Post by menn » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:15 pm

counting_pine wrote:Could you get it to save as PNG instead of / as well as JPG, please? JPEG compression artefacts look quite ugly in screnshots, and at the moment most ReactOS screenshots will probably be smaller as PNG than JPG.
i'm in favor of png, for the same reasons you are, but worst-case artifacts are far more an issue with high-compression... if his routine defaults with low-compression (high quality) or jpeg2000 (whatever happened to that?) then this won't be a problem. of course it won't be an issue when irfanview is fully supported... i understand it works pretty well at the moment and takes screenshots without prtscr- haven't tested it. i'd still love to see mrkaras' gpl util go into the ros project regardless :) gpl makes me incredibly happy.
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org

counting_pine

Post by counting_pine » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:21 am

PNG is the format of choice for ReactOS screenshots. It uses lossless compression, so the image looks better, and with screenshot-type pictures it usually gets a smaller file size than a reasonably compressed JPEG.

I did a small test on this screenshot (49867 bytes):
http://www.reactos.org/media/screenshot ... 9_pp95.png

Here's a JPEG that I made of the same image (50494 bytes):
http://img454.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... p959uq.jpg

The PNG has a smaller file size, and looks noticably better.

(By the way, I tried saving it in JPEG2000 format as well, and it came out as 206KB. PNG's lossless compression method works better on screenshots than JPEG2000)

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:56 am

Mrkaras wrote:There arn't any free c/c++ editors around with a form designer/RAD are there? I am useing dev C++ at the moment.
you can either download Visual Studio Express (which is free for download at the moment) or you can use a program called ResEd.

I can recommend Code::Blocks and ResEd for developing ROS applications as it's mingw. CB is better than DevCpp IMO.

However you aren't gonna get much better than VS for developing apps for Windows.

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:44 am

Thanks, Code::Blocks looks good, I have changed to that now but I were almost done anyway. Visual Studio Express is only free for a year, I didn't find ResEd but I will try again when i need a resorce editor.

I now have some code that almost works and have uploaded it for anybody to look at and fix. I can't get the bitmap to save properly. there are some other things that need cleaning up too but without saving a proper file that is useless.
if you want a go follow this link
http://www.sharemation.com/xythoswfs/we ... t_CSfKcgPj
you should be able to upload to there if you make it work (you will see an upload button). Hopefully you can see what I were trying to do. the save box isn't supposed to do anything yet (not implemented). any volunteers?