VMware Tools errors during setup

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

CrescentEclipse

VMware Tools errors during setup

Post by CrescentEclipse »

Hi, this is the first time I tried using a daily build. I used version 0.3.17 before and thougth there were no new versions out there :lol:

I am using VMware 6.0.7 build 2844087 and the ReactOS build 69349.
On 0.3.17 I successfully can install VWware Tools and even have audio.
On the daily I get some error messages, screen resizing does not seem to work properly and I have no sound at all.
These messages change a bit when I run the setup again.

I took some screenshots:

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/150924/o4t7l9a6.png
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/150924/56tadnvw.png

Besides, I tried the msvc version of the build and got a black screen after the CD booted for the OS installation.
gonzoMD

Re: VMware Tools errors during setup

Post by gonzoMD »

Hello and welcome.

It's known that at least audio regressed somehow in current trunk builds. The Error messages you show here, tell about missing exports in framedyn.dll
You should open a jira ticket that describes the bug and attach your Screenshot.
Some questions should be answered within: Does exactly the same VMware tools setup work under Windows XP or 2k3? Did it work under 0.3.17? When did the bug start?

The black screen is not a bug, it's a feature.
Our default build way is debug and our msvc versions simply wait for a debugger to be attached. Grab windbg from somewhere and attach it to your VMs virtual serial port. Now it will start and you can obtain useful debug information.
middings

Post by middings »

CrescentEclipse, you may have discovered a major bug. For step-by-step bug reporting instructions, I modestly suggest this post, Re: Another Bugs.

You have already written almost everything necessary for making a bug report with the ReactOS JIRA bugtracker bug reporting system's Create Issue form. (Yes, the What's New in JIRA 6.0 splash screen is broken. That has already been reported.)

You could copy and paste your post's title "VMware Tools errors during setup" into the Summary field and the body of your post into the Description field. In the Environment field, identify the number of the daily build you tried, the version of VMware you used, how much RAM you assigned to the virtual machine, any special VMware settings you use, and add the make, model, processor type, and amount of RAM of the actual computer you are using to experiment with ReactOS. You may add your screenshots as attachments to the bug report. Leave all the other fields at their default settings then choose the Create Issue button at the bottom right of the form. That is all that is necessary to create an issue that will go to the attention of the ReactOS development team. (However, I cannot say when a developer will take on your bug and try to tackle it. Please understand that ReactOS is a volunteer effort.)

Thank you for experimenting with ReactOS.
Heis Spiter

Post by Heis Spiter »

Before opening a bug report, it's important to check whether the issue is already covered by another bug report...

Regarding VMware, it is. Twice.
CORE-7457
CORE-7991
Pierre Schweitzer (aka Heis Spiter)
ReactOS kernel developer.
ReactOS systems administrator.
CrescentEclipse

Post by CrescentEclipse »

Thank you for your support!

Interesting feature in the msvc version, but I am not that familiar with debugging operating systems ;)

I tried to install VWware Tools again on 0.3.17 and the same errors occure. Additional a BSOD follows now.
I can't tell since when the errors popped up, because I can't remember the last tool version I used. I do not update them regularly.
But it seems that the bug reports posted by Heis Spiter really are related to this problem.
If that is the case, how can I add my screenshots there? Can I help somehow with additional information? Should I really open a new report?

Thanks for describing how to use JIRA, middings. I will read how to use the bugtracker for future error reporting.

LG Cres
middings

Post by middings »

You can look at the JIRA bug reports that Heis Spiter mentioned by clicking their links in Heis Spiter's earlier post.

To add your own findings to an existing bug report, first log in to JIRA by choosing Bugtracker at the top of this Forum page or by choosing Log In at the top right corner of a JIRA bug report page. Log in using your existing ReactOS.org credentials that you created in order to post here in the Forum. (Your credentials are automatically shared between the major ReactOS servers, but not instantly. By now you should be able to log in to JIRA.) Then review all the earlier comments. If you have new information, add a comment or attachment (screenshot, debug log, etc.).