Inaccessible boot drive

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

rrobin

Inaccessible boot drive

Post by rrobin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:18 pm

Tried ROS using the VMPlayer, loved it 8) Tried to install on a dedicated machine, failed.

Boots from CD, loads a few drivers, then halts the system with the message "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DRIVE".

Plus some gibberish like this;
ntoskrnl.exe: 1cdb>
ntoskrnl.exe: 1cf2>
ntoskrnl.exe: 6dfdb>
ntoskrnl.exe: 6ba2b>
ntoskrnl.exe: 4204>
ntoskrnl.exe: 6a553>
<0>

Tried a FAT32 primary partition of 20 GB, and when it failed, a FAT16 partition of 4 GB. Both failed. The harddisks were formatted from within Windows XP Pro, meaning that XP booted, formatted the HD, and shut down.

Running a P4, harddisk in question is a ST360020A (55 GB disk), connected to the second IDE bus, as a slave. A Sony DVD (DRU510A) is used for booting the ReactOS installation CD. I'm guessing that the harddisk should be IDE0, master - and preformatted from within DOS.

The "Live" CD won't boot either; after the "press a key" message everything goes black, and stays black.

Nmn

Post by Nmn » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:22 am

It prolly has to do with your brand of harddrive or if its Serial ATA(N alike). The cd thing is weird. Do you happen to use a SCSI cd drive?

I dont think SCSI support is a high priority; i believe it VERY WELL should be. But so far the os looks good. Im thinking of installing VC Enterprise 03 and my assemblers again and helping out, but its been a while since ive helped.

Back to topic, if you have an older pc, try it. Laptops, anything... Otherwise, use QEMU or VMPLAYER for as long as possible... You can get react os packaged with it. I enjoy the real feel of microsoft out of my system and direct hardware access myself, but you probably have different thoughts.

GvG

Post by GvG » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:05 am

Nmn wrote:Im thinking of installing VC Enterprise 03 and my assemblers again and helping out, but its been a while since ive helped.
Would be great, we appreciate all the help we can get. Just a small warning, although MSVC support is being worked on, it's not complete yet. You currently need the MinGW tools to compile/build ReactOS.

rrobin

Post by rrobin » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:15 pm

Nmn wrote:It prolly has to do with your brand of harddrive or if its Serial ATA(N alike). The cd thing is weird. Do you happen to use a SCSI cd drive?

I dont think SCSI support is a high priority; i believe it VERY WELL should be. But so far the os looks good. Im thinking of installing VC Enterprise 03 and my assemblers again and helping out, but its been a while since ive helped.
You were right obvious, twice. The CD-drive loads a SCSI compatible driver in XP, yet features an IDE connector. I never would've guessed it to be a SCSI-device.

It wasn't possible to install directly to the harddisk, but it worked using the VMWare workstation :D

For those curious;

Remove the default harddisk from the virtual machine, install a new harddisk which links to the entire physical drive (Access: using whole disk) and install there. Next, remove the XP-harddisk and boot from outside the virtual machine, directly from the freshly installed ROS-partition.

Boot time is 5 seconds in ROS 2.9, compared to the 43 seconds that XP Pro uses. A wireless USB mouse is working through an USB to PS/2 adapter.

I'm hooked - trying frantically to get OpenOffice to work now, keeps complaining about the Windows Installer tech. being outdated, and refuses to update. Haven't really looked were to file bugs however.. This would be much more tempting to do if there were a 'Submit bugs" link directly on the homepage, direct under the "latest release" section.

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:24 pm

There is a link to Bugzilla (where you submit bugs), though its not clearly marked if you dont know what it is. Im pretty sure OpenOffice v1.x installs and runs, but there are known problems with installing OpenOffice v2.x.

rrobin

Post by rrobin » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:23 pm

ScoTTie wrote:There is a link to Bugzilla (where you submit bugs), though its not clearly marked if you dont know what it is. Im pretty sure OpenOffice v1.x installs and runs, but there are known problems with installing OpenOffice v2.x.
What I'm missing is a small text, explaining "how to file a bug, and making sure that you don't file an exisiting one." Newbies like me aren't exactly here for bugtesting, and there would be more feedback I guess..

OpenOffice 1.4 works without problems in the Virtual Machine, but the platform itself doesn't feel stable enough to be used in a productive environment yet. Still, I'll be checkin' in regularly, as it probably won't take long before ROS becomes a serious alternative to Windows.

GvG

Post by GvG » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:25 pm

rrobin wrote:What I'm missing is a small text, explaining "how to file a bug, and making sure that you don't file an exisiting one."
Is this what you're looking for?

rrobin

Post by rrobin » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:04 pm

GvG wrote:
rrobin wrote:What I'm missing is a small text, explaining "how to file a bug, and making sure that you don't file an exisiting one."
Is this what you're looking for?
Exactly, thanks for the pointer! Been reading the Wiki on how to submit bugs and been scavenging some userblogs. The ROS-core is more mature than I initially would have guessed, I just installed networking on real hardware, and it works. Unstable and quite a puzzle, but it works!

The User-FAQ on the Wiki is depressing though. "Speedy deletion"? :shock: