1st time building a PC

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrgoogle

1st time building a PC

Post by mrgoogle »

all problems with 1st timers, here please; especially with font panel connectors
mrgoogle

Re: 1st time building a PC

Post by mrgoogle »

i know my motherboard is an old piece of crap but still, can u guys please help me with the "front panel connectors" or casing connectors ??

asrock 945gcm-s
middings

Post by middings »

A long time has passed since I built a PC from components. Apparently the connections between a motherboard and the chassis front panel are still not standardized, probably because many builders like to customize their front panels with special functions and connectors for them. The most basic front panels usually have three connections: one for the power switch, another for the power on LED, and a third for a disk access indicator LED. These connectors can usually be identified by what their wires go to.

The motherboard usually has some connecting pins similar to these examples pictured in this article in The Tech Report. Motherboards marketed to the individual builder are typically well marked and their manuals are usually available from the manufacturer's web site.

A motherboard from a lesser brand, an older motherboard, or an OEM motherboard taken out of a commercially manufactured PC may not be as well or colorfully marked as the examples in the linked article. A PC maker may have provided the front panel wiring with a wire harness that brings all the wires to a single connector in order to ease assembly on the manufacturing line. Another maker's case is unlikely to use the same connector and wiring pattern. In this situation, some detective work is required. Search the Internet for useful information about your motherboard front panel connections. Someone else may have already solved your problem.

If you are still stumped, try taking digital photographs of your motherboard, its connections, and the front panel connections. Then upload the photos to your favorite photo sharing site and provide descriptive links to them in your next post. Report everything you have tried so far and what were the results. Also, identify (as best you can) the maker, name, and model number of your motherboard and front panel. All this information will help others help you.
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

before anything else thanks a lot, may reactos succeed cause we all hate government spying- i love ubuntu based linux systems but unfortunately there aren't much of a software or applications to run there... going back to the issue.
since im sure that i've plug the wires wrong still; a begginer, i get a black screen and a buzzzy irritating sound from the PC. im still a college student doing our practicum on connecting motherboard to the power supply and casing wire/ front-panel connectors... i was so curious of what we were doing at school that i end up doing it at home as well.
and it appears im a noob, i carefully read the manual, carefully as well check the triangle or arrow that indicates its a positive wire and still it wont start, but before it was disassembled it was working perfectly fine. from my own understand from our training an old motherboard only has two power sockets to plug into; the 24-pin for the motherboard and 4-pin-connector for the cpu and the rest is for the casing wires/panel connectors

i still can't figure it out where i went wrong(i didn't damage it i was super carefull during those times) and did so many research and watch countless youtube tutorials before doing anything . w8 i'll just share or post the photos
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

what else are the motherboard power sockets should i plug with power supply and what are the casing connector should i still plug to the motherboard??
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

You need to find the specs for your motherboard and the wiring diagrams. Sometimes, you are lucky, and you have a single modular plug for most of the connections, or a jig you can wire from outside the case and then plug in. Once you have the motherboard manual and diagrams, it isn't too hard to find out what goes where. Most of the front panel connectors are labeled these days. If not, you have to trace each back to where it comes from to see what it is. On switches, polarity doesn't matter, but on LEDs, it does. And similar for the speaker if you have one. In some cases, they pack a cheap, tiny, piezo "speaker" you can plug in and leave dangling.

I've built PCs before and have built nearly all that I've ever owned, as well as quite a few professionally at one point.

Now, one common pitfall is having a motherboard (mostly Intel) that has an 8-pin power connector (EPS?) on the motherboard near the CPU, and the power supply only has a 4-pin, square ATX connector. You can in most situations plug that into half the EPS connector. However, that cable could get warm. The reverse is generally no problem, where you have an 8-pin plug going into a 4-pin socket and half the wires hanging off and not connected, assuming nothing is in the way like a capacitor. Also, one must be careful and not confuse the square 4-pin ATX CPU power connector with a high performance PCI-e video card extra connector. Not only are the plugs slightly different, if you manage to plug one in by force, the polarity will be wrong (causing you to blow the motherboard or video card).

Another situation is confusion over the speaker connectors. Many DIY cases are geared to AMD systems, and while you can put modern Intel boards in there, you might realize that the front speaker panel wires don't match up with the connectors in terms of role and names. There, you can just leave them unplugged and use only the rear connectors. Or you can try attaching what you do recognize and ignore the plug sensor stuff. Either way, that won't cause problems.

Another pitfall is accidentally unplugging something else or moving a switch. Some machines have a dual BIOS so you can boot after a bad flashing, and there is a switch to select which one, and if it gets moved to the center or some odd position, it won't boot.

Yet another pitfall is seating the RAM. It won't hurt to push down on all the modules to make sure they are in good.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

PurpleGurl wrote:You need to find the specs for your motherboard and the wiring diagrams. Sometimes, you are lucky, and you have a single modular plug for most of the connections, or a jig you can wire from outside the case and then plug in. Once you have the motherboard manual and diagrams, it isn't too hard to find out what goes where. Most of the front panel connectors are labeled these days. If not, you have to trace each back to where it comes from to see what it is. On switches, polarity doesn't matter, but on LEDs, it does. And similar for the speaker if you have one. In some cases, they pack a cheap, tiny, piezo "speaker" you can plug in and leave dangling.

I've built PCs before and have built nearly all that I've ever owned, as well as quite a few professionally at one point.

Now, one common pitfall is having a motherboard (mostly Intel) that has an 8-pin power connector (EPS?) on the motherboard near the CPU, and the power supply only has a 4-pin, square ATX connector. You can in most situations plug that into half the EPS connector. However, that cable could get warm. The reverse is generally no problem, where you have an 8-pin plug going into a 4-pin socket and half the wires hanging off and not connected.

Another situation is confusion over the speaker connectors. Many DIY cases are geared to AMD systems, and while you can put modern Intel boards in there, you might realize that the front speaker panel wires don't match up with the connectors in terms of role and names. There, you can just leave them unplugged and use only the rear connectors. Or you can try attaching what you do recognize and ignore the plug sensor stuff. Either way, that won't cause problems.

Another pitfall is accidentally unplugging something else or moving a switch. Some machines have a dual BIOS so you can boot after a bad flashing, and there is a switch to select which one, and if it gets moved to the center or some odd position, it won't boot.

Yet another pitfall is seating the RAM. It won't hurt to push down on all the modules to make sure they are in good.

can u please pinpoint those plugs by uploading an image of the motherboard(ASRock > 945GCM-S) where those plug your saying is highlighted/encircled in mspaint (im so confused with the manual) and paste the link here...
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

actually i did find the specs for my motherboard and the wiring diagrams. but i cant understand it on where the power,reset,sw and ect just goes and where the negative and postive and ground/gnd goes as well, its confusing me; https://www.facebook.com/arshal.metalli ... nref=story
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

im might purchase an amd if i was on a very tight budget however i feel like we don't have that financial issue yet thats why all our PCs are Intel
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

am i using the right plug or did i plug my power supply and panel-connectors to the rightful place https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 950&type=1 ???
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Okay, here's the diagram for the front panel header on your motherboard:
[ external image ]
(It's the orange connector on your motherboard)

I see that the cables from your case are labelled. Match them up, and assume that the white wire in those connectors is the negative. From this information, it should be fairly straightforward to get those connected. Judging by your photos, you seem to have had these in the right place, but it looks like the polarity was reversed.

As for power; it's hard to say 100%, but it looks like you have them connected properly. The individual pins are shaped such that it should be impossible for you to plug them in wrong / backwards.
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

karlexceed wrote:Okay, here's the diagram for the front panel header on your motherboard:
[ external image ]
(It's the orange connector on your motherboard)

I see that the cables from your case are labelled. Match them up, and assume that the white wire in those connectors is the negative. From this information, it should be fairly straightforward to get those connected. Judging by your photos, you seem to have had these in the right place, but it looks like the polarity was reversed.

As for power; it's hard to say 100%, but it looks like you have them connected properly. The individual pins are shaped such that it should be impossible for you to plug them in wrong / backwards.

what the hell is POLARITY??