OpenSource 'Unlocker' for ReactOS ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

h33m

OpenSource 'Unlocker' for ReactOS ?

Post by h33m »

Would an opensource software like the famous Unlocker be useful for ReactOS ?
If yes, i would gladly be in charge of designing, programming and testing this piece of software. And one last thing can you suggest a name for it.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: OpenSource 'Unlocker' for ReactOS ?

Post by vicmarcal »

hi h33m!
Well, if you mean if we'd include an open implementation of "Unlocker", it could be a nice feature but you may contact the ReactOS-Dev mailing list with such suggestion so it can be talked in the next meeting. But before an integration is done, the software must be available :)
A name...hmmm.... Openlocker? Or does it sound more as if it is a locker instead an unlocker?

justincase

Post by justincase »

I don't know if ReactOS will incorporate your 'unlocker' or not, but I'd certainly like an Open Source 'unlocker', whether it gets included in the OS or not.
vicmarcal wrote:A name...hmmm....
hmmm.... OpenLocker sounds like a locker, not an unlocker. ... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... I don't have any better ideas :(
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

vicmarcal wrote: A name...hmmm.... Openlocker? Or does it sound more as if it is a locker instead an unlocker?
GnUnlocker.

But wouldn't it be better if ROS wouldn't have this locked files windows "bug" at all?

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Unlocker is a utility to force locked files to let you manipulate them. I like it, and it is one of the first ones I add to Windows. But it is a somewhat advanced tool. If you don't know what you are doing, you can corrupt things or generate a BSOD. For instance, there is no valid reason to use it to delete the virtual memory file, since that WILL cause a BSOD under Windows since Windows expects that file to remain intact. (Unless maybe you disabled it in Windows and a virus has created a similar file, or it is on a different drive from the one in use.) Similar problems would occur if you use this on any part of the OS and particularly the kernel while in use. Now, if Explorer has things open that should not be open, or after it should have been closed, you could use Unlocker for that. That might work out just fine, or at worse, it would crash explorer.exe and it would either reload, or you would need to manually reload it.

I don't see why Unlocker needs to be incorporated into ROS, since anyone can install it free of charge. It shouldn't need porting. If it does, then we need to fix ROS to be able to use the existing one.

Konata

Post by Konata »

Why not just take the Unix approach and only let the admin mess with those files?
I know all accounts are essentially admin in Windows but I never got acquainted with user account rights and stuff like that.

justincase

Post by justincase »

Konata wrote:Why not just take the Unix approach and only let the admin mess with those files?
I know all accounts are essentially admin in Windows but I never got acquainted with user account rights and stuff like that.
Once NTFS (or another File System which supports ACL) is supported, then file permissions can be addressed.
This however is another matter.

Unlocker, and other similar tools allow the user to "unlock" a file by one or more of several methods. Files become 'locked' in several ways, and has nothing to do with being an administrator.
Being able to 'lock' a file is important to proper operation of lots of programs. Here's an example.
I'm accessing my email through a webmail client and attach a file to an email, then I delete the file from my PC as I no longer need it locally, then I send the email.

While my browser is uploading the file it opens a handle to the file, this 'lock's the file which prevents me from deleting it while it's still being accessed.
This is good, I don't want to upload (and send) a broken file because I was hit Delete before it finished uploading, I get an error stating that the file is in use, then I delete it after my browser is done uploading it and go ahead with my business.

The issue occurs with a program (my browser in this example) forgets to close it's handle for that file when it's done accessing it, leaving it 'locked'.
Now since I know my browser isn't accessing the file any more I can use a tool like Unlocker or the one h33m is considering creating to close that handle. Then I can delete it without issue.
Without such a tool I either have to wait a while, hoping that the program has put this handle into a queue which it will close later, or exit the program to be able to delete the file.

So I really don't think there's some kind of workaround that can be put into the OS to make this kind of tool obsolete. The closest possibility would be to incorporate a tool like this into the OS, ... which is what was suggested at the beginning of the thread.
PurpleGurl wrote:But it is a somewhat advanced tool. If you don't know what you are doing, you can corrupt things or generate a BSOD.
Yes. If the file is still in use, and you close the handle to it that the program is using to access it, all kinds of bad things can happen :D.
So I too think integrating it into the OS is something that should not be taken lightly (perhaps a checkbox in Folder Options which enables an otherwise hidden button in the 'File is being accessed by another program' dialog? and give it a very noticeable warning.)
However I would really like to have an Open Source file unlocker, whether or not it also gets integrated into ReactOS.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

justincase wrote:However I would really like to have an Open Source file unlocker, whether or not it also gets integrated into ReactOS.
I definitely agree! Unlocker is a tool I use only occasionally, but it's practically the only tool to do the job and save you from a restart in the middle of working. I say h33m, start it up! Develop for Windows and everything should fall into place after that. :D

And as for a name... DeLocker, UnlockIt, TOUT - The Open Unlocking Tool, FFUUU! - Free File Unlocking Utility Ultra!

h33m

Post by h33m »

UnlockIt would be a good name for it. Thanks everybody for your help.

justincase

Post by justincase »

@h33m: Keep us 'in the loop' and let us know if we can help, I'm really interested in seeing how this goes. :)