Speed...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nitro2k01

Speed...

Post by nitro2k01 »

I just discovered ReactOS, and I will try to install it. But there's a few things I want to know.
How is speed and memory usage compared to WXP? How much speed and memory does ReactOS itself eat compared to WXP?
GvG

Post by GvG »

Windows XP is faster at the moment, we concentrate more on implementing features than on performance. ReactOS uses considerably less memory (it runs in 32Mb although I think you need 64Mb during the install)
Benfica

Post by Benfica »

Hi, 1st post on your forum :)

imo it *could* be faster, just by using new compiling flags. I guess the existing is compiled with conservative optimization flags. No need to introduce new problems.
That doesn't mean that we couldn't recompile it ourselves. An give feedback here :wink:
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Welcome Benfica.

Most of Reactos slow downs are due to debuging infomation.

Flags help a little when the day comes to remove the debuging it will speed up alot.
kokodin

Post by kokodin »

at this moment ros is even 2x slower of windoza 95 :) (it is tested on qemu but not on real hardware) but on real hardware of new compurers faster that 500 mhz it is no meather because ros isn't (at this moment) a distro for home/ofis use :D but from 0.5 version that posibble will change :D
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Benfica wrote:Hi, 1st post on your forum :)

imo it *could* be faster, just by using new compiling flags. I guess the existing is compiled with conservative optimization flags. No need to introduce new problems.
That doesn't mean that we couldn't recompile it ourselves. An give feedback here :wink:
There are many different compiler tricks used throughout the codebase. You'll generally find every ounce is squeezed out of it.
Most of Reactos slow downs are due to debuging infomation
Debugging is removed for the official releases.
DorianC

Memory and speed

Post by DorianC »

I've been looking over the code and I think i can make a contribution to the memory management (in mm.c) and the general speed of ROS. I've done a lot of work of this sort before. (I used to do memory managers in the old DOS/Qemm/Qualitas days).

I've been haunting the forums and irc to look for some lead that would would tell me how to benefit the app and I think this is it.

I'll post the memory change first, hopefully, you guys will like the change. After that, I'll start some optimization work.

DorianC
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi a new cc manager are been working on in svn://svn.reactos.com/branches/cache_manager_rewrite

please look at it, beore u start any rewriten.

it is a new rewrtien of our cahce manager.
it is not finish yet. that why it lives own branch.
DorianC

Memory

Post by DorianC »

Thanks glad you told me, :)
I'll look at that.

I've done a lot of application programming so perhaps I can instead turn my attention to making some of the applications (like notepad) work fully with an eye towards helping to improve the speed of the OS. I want to avoid duplicating anyone else's efforts.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: Memory

Post by Jaix »

DorianC wrote:Thanks glad you told me, :)
I'll look at that.

I've done a lot of application programming so perhaps I can instead turn my attention to making some of the applications (like notepad) work fully with an eye towards helping to improve the speed of the OS. I want to avoid duplicating anyone else's efforts.
All help is needed, but with your experience in memory managers I would say start with the cache_manager_rewrite so we can get it to work, it is a long time ago this branch was started.
DorianC

Memory Manager

Post by DorianC »

Oh, great!
I'll download the branch you mentioned and see what I can do to help.
Could you tell me if the 0.2.9 release is the latest version of the source? f so, I'll work from there.
Thanks,
DorianC
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I'm no coder, but I'm sure that the trunk Branch is the newest "unstable" Source. 0.2.9 is the latest Release and the Source can be found on sf.net or in 0.2.9 branch.
GvG

Post by GvG »

Emuandco is right, the most up-to-date source code is in svn trunk. See the wiki for some information about Subversion (svn) and the way we use it.
DorianC

Speed..

Post by DorianC »

Yep,
I spoke with Alex as well, he put me on to the cache manager rewrite branch.
I'll make sure I'm up to speed with the most recent changes, but my understanding is that the cache manager is in need of being done.

I'm researching the subject now to make sure it meets with compliance. :)
Jaix
Moderator Team

Wonderful. we welcome you!

Post by Jaix »

Wonderful, we welcome you to the team!