Coordinated Hardware testing

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Coordinated Hardware testing

Post by 00010 »

I have seen here that we have coordinated software testing, such as the compatibility list for software and drivers. But I was thinking that documented testing basic real hardware systems needs to be done for compatibility aswell in like manner. Such as make and model numbers of mainboards that can install/boot ReactOS and such.

Thoughts and ideas are welcome.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Coordinated Hardware testing

Post by vicmarcal »

Seems a nice idea.
I know guys out there with plenty number of Hardware pieces willing to create FROSkensteins with them.
Hope they will join this thread.
It would be cool to find why ReactOS is not working (I remember a PC not working because a CardReader was attached), to find incompatible hardware and combination of working one :)

Pesho

Post by Pesho »

Yes, we really do need to start thinking more about real hardware compatibility. It's kind of hard to take an operating system seriously if it only works inside a virtual machine... The machines we'd be testing it on will have to be dedicated to this though, because there are so many devices which might have to be taken out, like that CardReader for example.

Post by 00010 »

My point exactly, the purpose of ReactOS is to run on real hardware. So hardware testing needs to be done. This would also be helpful as some device may cause ROS not to boot or other odd behavior on real hardware.

I was thinking about starting and maintaining an "H.C.L" or Hardware Compatibility List" and doing some testing of my own, I run across hardware alot that would fit the bill for ROS.

Basically ROS runs on Virtualbox real good, so finding a generic PC would be the best idea, we are just really looking to run the OS, not have cutting edge graphics and such.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

00010 wrote:My point exactly, the purpose of ReactOS is to run on real hardware. So hardware testing needs to be done. This would also be helpful as some device may cause ROS not to boot or other odd behavior on real hardware.

I was thinking about starting and maintaining an "H.C.L" or Hardware Compatibility List" and doing some testing of my own, I run across hardware alot that would fit the bill for ROS.

Basically ROS runs on Virtualbox real good, so finding a generic PC would be the best idea, we are just really looking to run the OS, not have cutting edge graphics and such.

There is a Hardware Compatibility list:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Supported_Hardware

But it would be cool to have a mantainer and an active tester for that. Or several.

Post by 00010 »

O.k, how would I go about to apply to maintain such a list and coordinate a testing group?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

00010 wrote:O.k, how would I go about to apply to maintain such a list and coordinate a testing group?

It would be cool to enter in contact with ReactOS members at IRC Freenode, channel #ReactOS. You may contact abragin (as the project coordinator), or any other member. :)

Post by 00010 »

Ok, good, I'll think I'll do that. :)