Whitix / USB?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aeneas

Whitix / USB?

Post by Aeneas »

Dear ReactOS Aficionados,

In the deep bosom of the Internet there slumbers oftentimes many an unexpected creature, and this is one I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitix

It seems to be an, unfortunately, unixoid System, though an own and unusual one, but the guy who does it claims to have successfully added in a USB stack. I do not know whether it may be of use to ReactOS, but maybe contacting that guy might not be in vain.

The project seems to not have received updates for three years already. Maybe you can hook him up to ReactOS?

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Whitix / USB?

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, usb is no problem anymore. Almost at least ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

igorko

Post by igorko »

ReactOS already can be booted from USB, though USB stack still has bugs. depends on different storage(USB sticks/HDD) and may crash. So mainly it's just matter of testing and bugfixing.

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

In this case I wish you good luck with what you have and congratulate you for coming thus far. I remember that USB was, for me, the "sore point" of ReactOS - I really think that once you get USB, network and Printing right, together with SATA, then you are "ready for prime time", because even if programs crash, your system is already useable.

You might still want to contact maybe that guy, because he apparently knows what ReactOS _IS_ - and if he has lost interest in Whitix, he may regain a new interest in ReactOS:

http://doc.whitix.org/wiki/Frequently_a ... he_like.3F

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, it could not harm. Maybe he could be invited to our ML.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Will the USB stack be finished in 0.4.0?

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Actually, the USB stack is looking really nice in the SVN builds. It is already recognizing a number of hardware chipsets, and works with mice, keyboards, and flash drives. There is currently some bug with flash drives causing a hang on anything other than VirtualBox and one specific ALI based PCI card, but once that is worked out I think it will be ready for a wider variety of testing.

What I want to know is how compatible will it be with third party Windows drivers (such as scanners) that need to communicate over the USB stack? Providing the needed APIs is not something that any random USB implementation addresses.

X512

Post by X512 »

I tested ReactOS bootcd-56782-dbg written to USB on 3 computers and it hang on all 3 computers. On 2 computers it hang when ReactOS splash appeared and progress come to ~75%, on 1 computes it hang on loading drivers before ReactOS splash screen.

I used QEMU to install ReactOS on USB drive. I selected USB drive as HDD and used Intel partition map.