Compatibiity in all windows version?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

benjieddt

Compatibiity in all windows version?

Post by benjieddt » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:44 am

Hello! I am new here and somewhat confused. I have read this site info and I'm starting to wonder if reactos is compatible with any windows versions?

jonaspm

Re: Compatibiity in all windows version?

Post by jonaspm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:00 pm

It aims to be compatible with 32bit and 64bit software designed for Windows NT(XP,2003,Vista,7,8)

iPick12

Post by iPick12 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:43 pm

If that's what you mean, no, ReactOS does not yet feature full compatibility with any version of Windows NT. But it can run many Windows programs and eventually it will be compatible with a specific version of Windows. ;)

Kriss3d

Post by Kriss3d » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:10 pm

Great job by the way. I just got here after reading a post about somone offering 20-100$ for a complete OS that basicly is like ROS. Only the job offer included it had to be hacker proof and a sleek design.

I was wondering. Seeing as this is a complete OS. And since the functions are open source. Are there any work done to directly implement this like WINE so I, running Linux would be able to have same compatibility level regarding Windows programs ?

My wish is to have the compability layer to be able to add windows drivers and such for my computer instead of linux drivers and use that to play heavier games which WINE doesnt support.

But I could imagine having ROS as a secondary OS to linux but for playing windows games would be awsome as ROS is way more lightweight.

milon

Post by milon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Welcome to the forum, Kriss3d!

I encourage you to take some time and read more of the forums. ROS is not (yet!) a complete operating system. It's still very much an alpha-stage operating system. It's not a layer, so no, you won't be able to run it on top of Linux (although you CAN run it inside a virtual machine, but that's no good for intensive gaming). Wine is a layer, and you'd run that on top of Linux. ReactOS is its own operating system so you'd have to have 2 operating systems on 1 system if you want to keep Linux installed. Bear in mind that ReactOS is not yet ready to dual-boot with anything else. It doesn't play well with many partitions, and a small error could render the whole harddisk unreadable.

tldr = ReactOS is not a layer, and it's not yet complete enough for intense gaming

BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:08 pm

jonaspm wrote:It aims to be compatible with 32bit and 64bit software designed for Windows NT(XP,2003,Vista,7,8)
Right now, it aims to be compatible with 32 bit software and drivers that work with Windows Server 2003.

Kriss3d wrote:Are there any work done to directly implement this like WINE so I, running Linux would be able to have same compatibility level regarding Windows programs ?
Many components are actually directly from Wine. Changes that need to be made to those components get submitted to Wine, and filter back down to ReactOS. Both parties benefit.
Kriss3d wrote:My wish is to have the compability layer to be able to add windows drivers and such for my computer instead of linux drivers and use that to play heavier games which WINE doesnt support.
Look up "Linux Unified Kernel" (Longene is an example of a Linux Unified Kernel which appears to use ReactOS code). If you want discussion from the ReactOS website, click this link: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... ied+kernel

jonaspm

Post by jonaspm » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:07 am

you can createa new partition in your HD,SSD etc. so you can install ReactOS on it, and have two running OSs...

but remember that ReactOS only supports FAT32 and in the future ext2