Binaries for Python Extension Packages

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fulea.stefan

Binaries for Python Extension Packages

Post by fulea.stefan »

A while ago I've stumbled upon SciPy - the scientific tools for Python. In their download page, there is referenced an unofficial collection of binary packages of python extension. The list is, like SciPy are saying, "impressive". I would dare to call it "useful" ...for ReactOS of course. Those packages are good supplements for Python 2 and 3 currently present in rosapps, turning ReactOS in this way a future heaven for Python developers - easy to access, easy to install, easy to use! Now, first step is "easy to access". What do you think about contacting the owner for possible future additions in rossapps?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Binaries for Python Extension Packages

Post by vicmarcal »

Does them work in ReactOS?

fulea.stefan

Post by fulea.stefan »

I've tested only NumPy (for Python 3.2) so far. It gets an "msvcr90.dll" related error at the end of package installation, after the files are copied, but it doesn't seem to affect the work. The imports were done with no fuss and everything was running smoothly.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Please install vc2008 redist package and retry.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

1) RosApps is basically a glorified download manager (minus some of the more useful download manager tools, unless we actually added them in). "Including" an application is nothing more than just adding a link.

2) All those libraries are open source, this person just happened to upload binaries of them. Permission is not required to "link" to them.

fulea.stefan

Post by fulea.stefan »

Haos wrote:Please install vc2008 redist package and retry.
Installed it, the same MSVCR90.dll problem.

@Z98: I'm glad that the procedure is simple. I hope it will be efficient, too. And about the download manager, unless there would be available a more structured classification, already even the (exclusive) "Development" category will become too crowded with only all those Python packages in it.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

This presumes there is any pressing need to include links to these packages.

fulea.stefan

Post by fulea.stefan »

Z98 wrote:This presumes there is any pressing need to include links to these packages.
No, I didn't had this in mind. All those packages will be useful for a Python developer when ReactOS will go stable. There isn't a pressing need. A presumption would be the needed for rosapps enhancement, and the eventual addition of that Python package collection is just an example that backs up that presumption.
I probably shouldn't have brought up that need for rosapps enhancement here, making it appear like an urgency.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@stefan

Could you please open a bug report and add the debug log? I think that Aleksiej would like to take a look at it.

fulea.stefan

Post by fulea.stefan »

@Haos: done! (bug report #6906)