some question about ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dels

some question about ReactOS

Post by dels »

ok 1st i'm newbie here, 2nd i never know about ReactOS before, 3rd i got some question :
1. what hardware requirements for ReactOS?
2. how easy the installation progress?
3. how much software that tested and work in ReactOS?(exp : Software Compability List?)
4. does photoshop and other adobe products works in ReactOS?(i need it for college work and i'm fully dont understand about GIMP)

thx all

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

ReactOs is not really useble yet as very-day-os. Photoshop won't work.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

These kind of questions are asked very often...

I think there should be a sticky post on the forum with FAQs

:roll:

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

1. what hardware requirements for ReactOS?

ReactOS need minium a i486 with 32MB and very lite harddisk space.
2. how easy the installation progress?
Equal easy as Win NT4/2000/XP to install it. the installer
are bit diffent when it comes to xp installer. it is more
like nt4 or win2k
3. how much software that tested and work in ReactOS?(exp : Software Compability List?)
I test the software I like see runing in reactos. I know the software compability list is not complete and alot more software are working and that. best way is to test see if u software is working.
4. does photoshop and other adobe products works in ReactOS?(i need it for college work and i'm fully dont understand about GIMP)
I do not know if photoshop is working or not. it maybe good idea to try it out.

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Photoshop 7 crashes at the end of the Install, i mangled my install and never got to test if what got installed worked. Tested it about 2 weeks ago, so it possibly could be working now.

Someone was asking wether GIMP works at the moment (im not sure if any GTK+ apps work at all though), i was thinking about testing that tonight sometime i might test Photoshop again and see.

dels

Post by dels »

now 4th, still confusing on download
1. what should i choose for download? iso or live-cd?
2. if i choose live-cd, is there a new requirements? (like in Linux Distro, live cd usually require faster computer)
3. can ReactOS install from pure DOS? (MS-DOS,FreeDOS,Dr DOS,etc)
4. ReactOS based on WinNT, so it use NTFS partition or still FAT16/32?

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

1. The iso image (as referred to on the download page, the real name for it is the bootable install CD) should be used to install ReactOS on virtual hardware, or on real hardware on a drive by itself. Use the live cd if those are not possible for you.
2. I'm sure that the live-cd memory requirements are a tad higher, but I'm pretty sure that 64 megs is enough.
3. I'm pretty sure the installer can not be run from dos, but there's no point in doing that if you can boot to the bootable install CD.
4. ReactOS is not based on Microsoft's Windows NT at all; it is written from scratch, but it aims to be like it in many technical ways. As such, we have only implemented FAT 16/32 at this point, not NTFS, because that would require alot more work and because free filesystems would be just as good with less work.

dels

Post by dels »

just testedup the preload Qemu in my WinXP PC and it works great (some speed issue but i think that from Qemu itself)

now i consider to download the installer version (hope it works too) for my old PC, and after take a look compability list in http://reactosde.re.funpic.de i think it should be enough for office PC (with open office/abi word and pixel "the photoshop alternate")

oh yeah and now for multimedia, any suggestion for player that can play mp3 and movie (avi,mpeg,vcd) program that can be use in ReactOS?

florian

Post by florian »

Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

dels wrote:just testedup the preload Qemu in my WinXP PC and it works great (some speed issue but i think that from Qemu itself)

now i consider to download the installer version (hope it works too) for my old PC, and after take a look compability list in http://reactosde.re.funpic.de i think it should be enough for office PC (with open office/abi word and pixel "the photoshop alternate")

oh yeah and now for multimedia, any suggestion for player that can play mp3 and movie (avi,mpeg,vcd) program that can be use in ReactOS?
It is definately not enough for an office pc! ROS can't for example print och do Windows share networking yet, you'll be better out with win95 or higher.

Davethewave

Post by Davethewave »

I get all excited when I think of ReactOS in the future, am I over-reacting or did I have too much coffee? :D

Jaix
Moderator Team

Excited form coffe or ROS

Post by Jaix »

Davethewave wrote:I get all excited when I think of ReactOS in the future, am I over-reacting or did I have too much coffee? :D
Well, we are too, and no you aren't overreacting, but keep it in the right level so we don't have to hear about someone formating their windows partition for ROS and can not use it for the stuff they planned to, and blame the ROS project for their lost data. Think first install later.