ReactOs graphic interface

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

neurone80

ReactOs graphic interface

Post by neurone80 »

Hi everyone,

First, congratulation for this fantastic project, i am still inpress.
I read lot on your forum and think about progression of the project.

Like a lot of people, am a fan of customizing my deskop (gnome lovely), but when i am looking the interface of ReactOs, i just see again some basic interfaces (does only apple is able to inovate).

Why have again some start menu, some icon and cubic windows ?
What else you will ask me ... we can try geting inspiration from talisman theme for exemple (http://www.customize.org/list/talisman) , a lot of easy and beatifull desktop with some new idea (and am sure a lot of artist who will be so happy for working notonly for a theme but for a free os).

Does a, high again or does i am right ?

In case, i am ready to take care about it, to organize some graphic contest and developping somes new interface project for Reactos.
forart

Re: ReactOs graphic interface

Post by forart »

neurone80 wrote:we can try geting inspiration from talisman theme for exemple (http://www.customize.org/list/talisman)
Uhm, closed source.

Check out the 'Shells' subsection at Untested (open source) software list - System on the wiki, instead.

I really like SharpE:

[ external image ]
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
neurone80

Post by neurone80 »

talisman is not open, but the theme is made by personnal people.
I am not making advertising for talismant and i am open to all idea :)
But your screen is stillto "windows" in my mind :)
Crappish

Post by Crappish »

What the hell?!
1600x1200 picture in forum? Scale it down. A lot. Or put just link to it...

phpBB misses option for picture maximum size?

Besides, you should try reading the goals ROS aims for. One of them is to imitate Microsoft Windows. To create free alternative for them.
Now, do you think that as Windows-like alternative?
Can't provoke anyone? Why bother posting?
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Patchworks: I don't like it, looks amateurish.
Well, the wallpaper is great (but you could use it in any shell, so...)

(BTW, you should't post pics that big, it's a forum...)
forart

Post by forart »

cmoibenlepro wrote:Patchworks: I don't like it, looks amateurish.
I don't think so: clear and simple (but complete) interface, very well balanced colors and great icons.
I'm an OS/2 & BeOS looks fan, this is probably the reason 'cause i like it.

Anyway just my opinion.
Crappish wrote:Besides, you should try reading the goals ROS aims for. One of them is to imitate Microsoft Windows. To create free alternative for them.
Imitate not means clone. And, wanna remember you, the the ROS goal is "to create a Free Software replacement for Microsoft Windows(TM) that is compatible with existing hardware and software!".
As you see, there are no looks-references in this, so build a windows clone is a not so high-level goal.

>> The open source windows alternative could be even better than the closed source platform itself. <<
»Forward Agency NPO
GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN »

I prefer having a Windows 98 looking for Reactos, than to have reactos looking like the picture above, it's awful.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Considering one of the project goals is for any Windows user to move onto ReactOS and feel comfortable in familiar suroundings, there will be no innovative default desktop. The aim is for a look and feel similar to Win2k.

Fancy desktops can be taken out as a seperate project.
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

Patchworks wrote:Imitate not means clone. And, wanna remember you, the the ROS goal is "to create a Free Software replacement for Microsoft Windows(TM) that is compatible with existing hardware and software!".
As you see, there are no looks-references in this, so build a windows clone is a not so high-level goal.

>> The open source windows alternative could be even better than the closed source platform itself. <<
Using a completely different shell for ReactOS will deter more people than it attracts, and it's not a good use of time for the ReactOS team.

Also, could you edit your post to take out the 1600x1200 screenshot, please? A link (preferably an abbreviated one) will do fine.
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Guys we are trying to make a windows-nt compilant OS, so we should use a Windows-like gui in any case!
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

I agree with dominik and Ged. Having a default graphical enivornment that is useful but familiar with windows users should be the number one goal. That said, support for other themes is definitely something that would be useful, although after a great many other things that need to be implemented.
forart

Post by forart »

Dominik wrote:Guys we are trying to make a windows-nt compilant OS, so we should use a Windows-like gui in any case!
Sorry, can't understand your point of view. Why should we "use a Windows-like gui in any case" ?
To attract users ? ROS is not a company ! And ROS _is NOT_ a clone !
And, anyway, MicroSoft changes UI anytime they thing is necessary, so why should we care of "frendlyness-like" ? I think that an alternative an more efficient gui implementation would be better, instead.
Not only. This can make a clear difference between ROS and Windows, so future legal 'problems' could be avoided.

Just my opinion.
»Forward Agency NPO
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

why should we make a completely different gui?
ROS is not a company and not a clone, I didn't say that. We are trying to make an Windows NT compilant OS, so why shouldn't we use an Windows NT like GUI? When version 1 comes out everyone can feel free to design themes. But I think till version 1 comes out we should develop an user-friendly NT-like gui. There will be a long time till version 1 comes out, maybe we will have a "vista style" but that's something to discuss later.
Right now we should talk about how to get the GUI running and building a basic design. For that I made the design suggestion in http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=985 and I think this makes sense at the moment.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Wise!

Post by Jaix »

Dominik, you are so right, and your thoughts are wise.
We will not use developer resources for creating something new when we havn't even got beta product yet. On the other hand everyone who is a developer and want to do something fun when they aren't coding the kernal and burns for creating a really nice GUI he is of course free to do so, but it will not be a active part of ROS for now if I understand it right.
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

Patchworks---

What exactly *IS* your definition of a 'clone'?

as far as I can tell, aiming to be 'exactly like windows' is exactly the same goals a clone has.

Reactos IS a windows clone. It aims to REPLACE windows. That means it will have a windows UI.

end of story.