An awesome feature has arrived: VS IDE support!!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cruonit

Re: An awesome feature has arrived: VS IDE support!!

Post by cruonit » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:50 am

I didn't know it, great feature. Does it work with the express version of VS :| ? , i think that's the biggest problem with VS.
But many reactos developers are CS/SE (engineering) students and have access to licenced visual studio trough MSDNAA/DreamSpark or trough a engineering community (ACM-18$, IEEE - 50$) so it can be done :)

But the best "intellisense" for C/C++ in visual studio is Visual Assistx i am using it for years and it's much much better than intellisense(VS2010 doesn't have intellisence for c++ and in vs2012 it's still not good enought)

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:49 pm

cruonit wrote:I didn't know it, great feature. Does it work with the express version of VS :| ? , i think that's the biggest problem with VS.
But many reactos developers are CS/SE (engineering) students and have access to licenced visual studio trough MSDNAA/DreamSpark or trough a engineering community (ACM-18$, IEEE - 50$) so it can be done :)

But the best "intellisense" for C/C++ in visual studio is Visual Assistx i am using it for years and it's much much better than intellisense(VS2010 doesn't have intellisence for c++ and in vs2012 it's still not good enought)
Yes.It works in Express too ;)

wildschwein

Post by wildschwein » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:26 pm

do i understand things right ?

Now, a dev can compile ROS completly in the Visual Studio IDE. Before he had to use some "tools" to do some extra custumizing work.

But now, you press the "compile button" and after a few seconds, a full compiled ROS is created in the output-folder, ready to be runned in VMARE.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:23 pm

wildschwein wrote:do i understand things right ?

Now, a dev can compile ROS completly in the Visual Studio IDE. Before he had to use some "tools" to do some extra custumizing work.

But now, you press the "compile button" and after a few seconds, a full compiled ROS is created in the output-folder, ready to be runned in VMARE.
Well..almost.
You have to download RosBe, install it ( as always), then invoke a command to create a place where MSVC will store the modules(apps,dlls,etc) compiled.
These steps have to be done just once.They are done to "set" everything.(In the same way we compile-configure the Tools with make) and to create a file called ReactOS.sln.

You have just to open MSVC, there go to "Open solution...", select the ReactOS.sln file. And hit the compile button.

Really really easy.
But I will write with Amine soon a Tutorial.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 pm

vicmarcal wrote:
wildschwein wrote:do i understand things right ?

Well..almost.
You have to download RosBe, install it ( as always), then invoke a command to create a place where MSVC will store the modules(apps,dlls,etc) compiled.

Nein !!!!!!! If you only want to use Visual Studio to program for ReactOS, you can only download CMake (for ReactOS) here: Installer version or here: Only files, put it somewhere (maybe set by hand the PATH environment variable to point to the CMake installation directory) and then invoke the same commands you would use with RosBE to create a special VS solution. (The remaining steps will be explained by Amine).

livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:39 am

They really have put lots of work into making this work correctly. Anything that make our current, and potencial dev community's lives easier is a major plus to me. This next release is going to be the biggest move forward in years. Now only if we could get a working memory manager
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:44 am

livestrong2109 wrote:They really have put lots of work into making this work correctly. Anything that make our current, and potencial dev community's lives easier is a major plus to me. This next release is going to be the biggest move forward in years. Now only if we could get a working memory manager
It somekind works... :p
And maybe someone is going to take care of the MM area...who knows..not me.

livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:55 am

by vicmarcal » 05 Feb 2013 03:44
Now your just playing with us..! :D
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:25 am

livestrong2109 wrote:
by vicmarcal » 05 Feb 2013 03:44
Now your just playing with us..! :D
Well, I just meant that MM is in bad shape but from my pov,as an "Ufficial" Tester, it's not much worse than 0.3.14. Bsods,Stalls, etc?Of course.Less stable?Maybe.Untestable?Not at all. As you have seen there are tons of new apps working, Sedwards reports nice stability using ReactOS in a VNC,Julcar has reported several servers running in ReactOS, and all the testers and contributors are boosting the EpicWin thread.
It's more corruptable,yes, but in the other side ReactOS has improved a lot. Sooner or later the big improvements should make us to move a finger towards 0.3.15, but it won't happen at least during this month.For sure.
And I know that there are some plans for our MM ;)...to begin with LordDoskias is preparing a lot of Memory test units(he is doing a great job) that, I wish, will motivate a Big-One enough to go towards MM fixing.
Maybe more details will be revealed through the ReactOS Meeting Minutes soon :)