Videolan - Standard in ReactOS???

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

just to clearify this a bit: VLC does NOT use DShow IIRC, since it supports codecs natively. this is quite nice as a feature, but, as already stated, could bring legal problems.
in addition i think VLC got some stability problems, it crashed sometimes on my side....

but having DShow implemented, which would make e.g. MPC working, is something important for multimedia support in general, since many multimedia applications and games rely on DShow as a playback engine for AVIs, MPEGs, WMV etc...
Jaix
Moderator Team

Package Manager

Post by Jaix »

All mediaplayers will probably be included in the Package Manager instead of being an actual part of ROS, in this way everyone can choose them self what media player they want to install.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

You still need to replace the windows media player control.
florian

Re: Package Manager

Post by florian »

Jaix wrote:All mediaplayers will probably be included in the Package Manager instead of being an actual part of ROS, in this way everyone can choose them self what media player they want to install.
That`s the perfect way!
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

"You still need to replace the windows media player control."
That is true... I think that is what is meant by developing a home brew replacement.
Lucractius

Post by Lucractius »

I fail to get this... Do you mean that we need to get a player that supports WMP formats... ( we have em in spades already, MPC for windows and VLC & MPlayer for everything, and Xine on linux and slowly getting ported to Win32)

or do you mean we need some kind of inbuilt plugin type thingie that means when we click on the files in the browser they open IN the browser... (VLC, MPlayer, Xine ALL have Mozilla controls for this im pretty sure)

or was there something else i missed?

And yes. Putting it in the package database and letting the user choose is the best way technicaly. but if you expect a luser to use a "tool" before he plays his "tunez" then your likely to get some complaining... yeah some people are that annyoing. and people tryng to avoid paying for windows have a large number of them for many different reasons.

Id say SOME choise has to be made, even just for the sake of what the "default" is but to avoid the Twisted mess of "which app opens what file" id like to say theres got to be a better way that that rediculously slow/hidden out of the way "file formats" dialog. If we have a simple Add/Remove Programs (XP version) Style tool that shows clearly what the files are, and makes it simple to change what opens them, then it wont be so bad having the default, since switching would be dead easy. (Major issue!!!! I dont know if windows is even capable of "Properly" handling file formats, useing the format headers for file association instead of extention. Which would be far more optimal for such an arangement since it can solve the confusion caused by the utter cesspool of media player file format etxtentions, many of which are also in use by other tools. worst example is how the heck winamp managed to get the .dat file extention on my machine automaticaly :shock: )