Firefox

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

nick_emblow

Firefox

Post by nick_emblow »

I have a question: Will firefox run on React OS? I'm a newbie so soz for the dumb question.

Is there like, a list of supported or applications in testing?

Also I seen that ros is going for driver compatability with NT, Is there a similar list for the supported drivers?

BTW: I particularly like the fact that although you are writing an NT based system, you aren't writing a Redmond style GUI. V.cool. Opens up heaps of doors too - like expansion of the desktop re-using existing desktop environments and still running windows apps seamlessly.... vcool indeed.... *drooling*

-nick.

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Hey Nick

Very soon Firefox will run pretty well on reactOS. We recently implemented the aplhablend function so that the menus will show up properly, and a huge winsock2 update is about to be committed that will enable firefox to actually accessing the web successfully, at least the vasy majority of the time. But of course, the entire networking stack is a work in progress on ReactOS, wait until 0.3.0 for decent web usage.

As for a list of app and driver compatibility, see the following thread, we're working on a system for that now.
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1050

As for the GUI comments, thank you. We want our GUI to be familiar to windows users, but still the best one possible. We plan at one point or another to get other desktop environments working too of course. I can't wait either.

-Mike

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

florian

Post by florian »

Well I would prefer to know what you have done instead of just showing us a picture. But still it is very nice.

GvG

Post by GvG »

florian wrote:Well I would prefer to know what you have done instead of just showing us a picture. But still it is very nice.
Just install Firefox in Windows and then copy the "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" directory and all its subdirectories over to ReactOS. Then start firefox.exe from that directory. There are still a lot of unresolved issues. For example, you need to constantly move the mouse around to actually get the page to render.

florian

Post by florian »

Oh, I thought that firefox wouldn`t work at all at 0.2.8 ros, so it already works but very buggy.