[IDEA] Integrate MPlayerGUI into ReactOS MP

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

forart

Re: [IDEA] Integrate MPlayerGUI into ReactOS MP

Post by forart »

Mplayer can be compiled even without patent-covered libraries (example here), so a "light" (read just with patent free codecs) version could be provided by default.

Then if the end-user substitute the provided mplayer.exe with a different build (for example Kovensky’s ones) it's an his own problem.

Anyway - as always - it would be great to *INVOLVE* MplayerGUI author insted of just "stealing" its software.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
manuel

Post by manuel »

Pharaoh_Atem wrote:MPlayer is in a legal gray area
but is gpl license right? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Player_Classic
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

MPlayer = MPlayer, Media Player Classic = MPC, these two are different.
manuel

Post by manuel »

Haos wrote:Unfortunately, its written in Delphi.
hi!

but is not possible include a classic media player all files in a zip file, in the installation of reactos run a setup rutine to uncompress and copy the media player files to hard disk and done?
manuel

Post by manuel »

Black_Fox wrote:MPlayer = MPlayer, Media Player Classic = MPC, these two are different.
exists two media player: microsoft and the write by Gabest, i say the this player, i like very much and hope exists some day this player or similar in reactos ;)
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/ - original Media Player Classic made by gabest
http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ - Media Player Classic - Home Cinema that is a contiunation of gabest's work
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html - MPlayer

None of these was made by Microsoft (that would be WMP) :geek: The original MPC is obviously too old, but I can't say which of the other two is better. None of them will be present in ReactOS in any foreseeable future, maybe just as a link in RosAPPS.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Haos wrote:VLC installer size is 50% of our bootcd size...
Z98 wrote:It's Qt.
There is an edition of VLC called cVLC designated for use without GUI.We may then provide a GUI to cVLC.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
forart

Post by forart »

manuel wrote:but is gpl license right? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Player_Classic
1st of all: follow web links !

Mplayer:
[ external image ]

MPC:
[ external image ]

Both are of course based on FFMPEG...

2nd: GPL don't resolve Patent issues.
In other words, h264 codecs are subjected to patents so any implementation (even free/open source ones) must pay fees.

The solution could be to have a stripped-down version of FFMPEG library without patented stuff (XviD too).

Check out FFMPEG's FAQs on Patents: http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
florian

Post by florian »

Haos wrote:Unfortunately, its written in Delphi.
AFAIK:

My favourite MPC-HC is written in C++. Check Wikipedia or Sourceforge.

And MPlayer should be written in C. Check Wikipedia.
zydon

Post by zydon »

One way or another, ReactOS has to implement it's own Media Player frameworks that using VfW codecs and DirectShow filters. Mplayer and MPC-HC only as good references as for writing an alternative media codecs and filters.

But the best reference to the creation of ROS Media Player is the VirtualDub. Managing those codecs and filters. Writing a movie files and many other Media Center component framework which is will then made it work with other compatible codecs and filters for Windows.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i think we should worry about getting reactos stable first and linux support those codex.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

On the patent stuff, you leave it out. If someone wants to install an unlicensed codec, that is on them, not us. You just give the ability to install codecs and leave what is installed beyond the default ones to the end user.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

zydon wrote:One way or another, ReactOS has to implement it's own Media Player frameworks that using VfW codecs and DirectShow filters. Mplayer and MPC-HC only as good references as for writing an alternative media codecs and filters.
We can follow a way like MS followed with N-editions of Windows, without shipping any media player. They did because legal enforcement, but we would do it as an implementation choice. APIs would still be available, so an user can install any multimedia software.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I like my operating systems to minimize their installation size and not include any crap that I didn't ask for. I don't use Windows Media Player or Internet Explorer (except for website testing) because I prefer the many superior alternatives that are freely available on the internet. Bundling software is a convenience for people who don't already know what they want, or don't know how to get it.

I think it's fair to say that most of the people who will initially use ReactOS will be relatively tech savvy. ROS only needs to have enough built-in support to get them onto the internet so that they can download their preferred browser/media player/office suite, etc. We can put links to all of those things in RAPPS. I guess I'm just not clear on why ROS needs to have a media player right out of the box. As long as it plays the logon sound when I turn it on for the first time, it comes with enough multimedia support for me.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

I do not agree the browser part. Help stuff is based on HTML too, at least HTML viewing functionality needed.Our browser is based on Gecko, which Firefox is also based on, does not have patent issues which prevents IE as default browser in some countries. Windows 8 has desktop just for that purpose. Help system is also dependent on HTML stuff. Embedding .chm stuff straightforward into browser and using help center as just wrapper to the browser will reduce size(which means implementing entire Mozilla Archive Format into Wine Gecko)