ReactOS Future cross-compatibility

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: ReactOS Future cross-compatibility

Post by Z98 »

Considering how much of Win2k3's API we already have implemented and how much of its architecture we've adopted, going back to 2k would produce considerably more work than what you think it would save.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

just a thought?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

The only reason to use any specs for 2000 would be if we cannot find any newer ones. For APIs, you might do better with obsolete ones than none at all. Still, that could cause a debugging nightmare, since we'd have to feel our way around to where the standards may have changed. So only use 2000 compatible APIs if you cannot figure out how to do it any different, but don't preferentially use that.
jerexgrz

Post by jerexgrz »

what are the main goals (remain) in order to have react os compatibled with win 2003 ?

After, it is a good idea to have some name of versions which aim some caracteristics of win vista & 7 ...
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Without actually answering the question, I think there's reason for optimism that ReactOS might be decently compatible with Windows 2003 within a few years. Real progress has been made in the last few years, and the pace of progress is improving. I mean this with absolute respect to both the asker and the development team: there are still a thousand things left to do before ReactOS can claim to be pretty compatible with Windows 2003. It's way, way, way, way too early to start talking about compatibility with Windows Vista and 7.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i agree with dosguy. as long it supports older hardware i really don't mind, linux already lost with legacy support ubuntu is a perfect example. and if by any chance in the near future reactos aims to be compatible with windows 7 please leave the bloat behind.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

The "bloat" won't go in unless it is necessary for compatibility. However, what you call bloat might not all be bloat.
jerexgrz

Post by jerexgrz »

Reactos has again some times. Because when i see Win 8, it seems to be a total disaster ! It is the new Vista, a windows which is completely useless. :lol:
Instead of improving the management of the multi-core (2,4,6,8, ...), 64 bits instructions, improving card-graphics system ... you have tactile system (&co). It is interesting but, there are no a great use with theses changes.
I don't see interest for PC-User by example and also, the microsoft store ! In this case, i will buy an apple Mac.
Here, it is a article (french) about it: http://www.clubic.com/windows-os/window ... asser.html

Yea ! ReactOs will crush Microsoft !! :lol:
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

And from what basis are you making the assertion that Windows 8 does not have architectural improvements?
jerexgrz

Post by jerexgrz »

Of course, there are some improvements (you can find informations on microsoft.com, websites, ...). But, in fact, when i wrote that, i thought Win 8 is rather an add-on (or service pack) instead of to be a real new OS.
List of modifications:
USB 3.0 : } Important !
Starting quicker + new bios UEFI : }
System of management of windows (copy file, multi copy files, ... ): }
New specifications (hard disk, webcam ...) : }
Arm processor }

New system of password : }
Windows Store : } Optional !
Windows Cloud : }
New interface : }
Simplification installation : }

After, new interface (using some component active X, if i don't make a mistake!) might be interesting for people who are buying some tablets (Archos, Samsung, Mpman ...) ! (marketing process, win 8 pc = win 8 tablets, ... ok)
Here, all modifications could be put in a service pack (except new bios system, and some others things).

So, my personnal view is :
what is the real orientation of OS ? What is the security for your personnal needs (Clouds, Store, ... everything for Microsoft ?) ?
OS must control computer (hardware, ...) and of course, to have some softwares in order that everybody can use it with ease.
But to paid this OS 300 euros ? Useless. There are not enough important modifications.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

jerexgrz wrote:Here, it is a article (french) about it: http://www.clubic.com/windows-os/window ... asser.html
To be fair, there seems to be a link below the article for the other way around http://www.clubic.com/windows-os/window ... isons.html :)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

That "list of modifications" barely even tries to capture the changes that went into Windows 8.
jerexgrz

Post by jerexgrz »

Apparently, I saw that it is possible to a have different trunks which can be used to be compatible with win xp, win vista, ...
Is it possible to merge them into one ?
jerexgrz

Post by jerexgrz »

Too, i thought about parallel executions (unifying functionality, optimized parallel functions, ... in order to improve the efficient). Windows use some specific api, dlls, or others to control them ?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

What are you even asking?