ReactOS Scripting Engines(e.g Python engine)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Which languages for scripting?

Perl
No votes
Python
54%
C-like another script
31%
Ruby
15%
Assembler-like script
No votes

Total votes: 13

erkinalp

ReactOS Scripting Engines(e.g Python engine)

Post by erkinalp »

Most people has known Windows has a scripting engine based on VisualBasic(VBScript) and one based on C and ECMAScript(JScript). ReactOS needs a scripting engine, doesn't it? First we should decide which scripting language(s) we incorporate into ReactOS. e.g:
Python, Perl, Ruby
By including these scripting we could also break the C hegemony of ReactOS.
Last edited by erkinalp on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
alfanak.net

Re: ReactOS Scripting Engines(e.g Python engine)

Post by alfanak.net »

what about VisualBasic like langauge?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The by-default scripting engine in ROS will support the same languages as those included by default on Microsoft's Windows variants. Any others that a user wants, they are free to install themselves.
milon

Post by milon »

I agree with Z98. It's better to maintain compatibility since that's the whole point of ROS. If we add additional scripting languages, then we break compatibility with Windows. It's better for users to add their own additional languages.
alexei

Post by alexei »

When ROS becomes compatible enough, end-users would be able to install WSH 5.6/5.7. So, it should be no problems with scripting.
milon

Post by milon »

I think MS would frown on WSH being installed on ROS. We ought to provide our own scripting host, really. I don't think it's right to expect every user or company with ROS to break Microsoft's EULA. (I'm making the assumption that the EULA prohibits WSH being installed on non-Windows systems. I could be wrong.)
alexei

Post by alexei »

There are WSH redistributables (5.6 and 5.7), wich are supposed to come to user as as supplement to some application.
If MS would try to disallow such applications to run on ROS it would be considered monopolistic and it would cost MS big $$.
In fact, suing MS in EU for prohibitive licensing may bring ROS a lot of money :)

Anyway, if you don't want to go this way, make WSH clone that would work with Sun (now Oracle) JVM.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

alexei wrote: In fact, suing MS in EU for prohibitive licensing may bring ROS a lot of money :).
Legal but how much ethical(I think a compensation like this help ReactOS economically,but it may cause disapproval)?
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
milon

Post by milon »

Suing another entity just because there's a chance of making money is highly unethical.

If that doesn't sway you, think pragmatically: Making an enemy out of MS would be a Very Bad Idea. We might (ha!) win the first battle, but we would lose the "war" that would follow. We would lose badly. MS knows how to use its money.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

milon wrote:Suing another entity just because there's a chance of making money is highly unethical.

If that doesn't sway you, think pragmatically: Making an enemy out of MS would be a Very Bad Idea. We might (ha!) win the first battle, but we would lose the "war" that would follow. We would lose badly. MS knows how to use its money.
I get your point. [Urinary skill competitions] are usually not a good approach to doing things. There have been things they have let slide so far. If you get on their bad side, they will likely throw as much mud as they can and see what sticks. Some companies when crossed have the policy of sue first and ask questions later. So we want to avoid all that drama. We just want a good open source OS that will run as much as what Windows will run as possible, not make trouble.

Yes, we need a good scripting host to be complete. There might even be open source projects already. But we have to get careful and not embed code that Microsoft is merely giving a free licensing grace period on. That is the problem with Mono and C#. They said it could be used free of royalties or licenses the first year, if I read and remember correctly. So you don't want to get stuck in a dependency on Microsoft code and then have them to change the license terms midstream.
Acamapichtli

Post by Acamapichtli »

¿not LUA?, ¿Is there a problem with the MIT license?
some information
¡I want ReactOS!

Im spanish speaker not english speaker, sorry for my bad english.
zydon

Post by zydon »

Why not a combination of AJAX. CSS and JaveScript?

The opensource structure already on the Net, just make it natively available to ROS with an easy to learn and use version. What is left to do is to make a ROS scripting IDE to speed up the scripting project.

My guesses, that is what Android and Windows 8 does with the Java/Dalvik and HTML5 metro application.
Acamapichtli

Post by Acamapichtli »

zydon wrote:Why not a combination of AJAX. CSS and JaveScript?

The opensource structure already on the Net, just make it natively available to ROS with an easy to learn and use version. What is left to do is to make a ROS scripting IDE to speed up the scripting project.

My guesses, that is what Android and Windows 8 does with the Java/Dalvik and HTML5 metro application.
Is true, we should see the new type mobile technologies.
probably try a combination of several scripting languages​​,
especially those that consume the least resources possible to not affect the battery life of mobile devices and prevent overheating.
¡I want ReactOS!

Im spanish speaker not english speaker, sorry for my bad english.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Reality check here, guys. The project's goals are to provide a compatible OS with NT5.2, not dump in something that not even Unix people use for scripting purposes.
zydon

Post by zydon »

ROS don't need a scripting engine. It need a visual app programming IDE and a compiler. Even a kid could write an application in ROS. A good example is App Inventor for Android. If something like that could be ported into ROS to take advantages of batch scripting and implemented Win32 libraries, a lots of times will be saved for ROS users to create productive applications. Probably, a ROS App market will follow later.