Fundraising campaign 2012

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

majm84

Fundraising campaign 2012

Post by majm84 »

Hi,
I just noticed your fundraising 2012 campaign and was wondering have you ever participated in crowd funding site http://www.kickstarter.com ? I think it would be a great way to fund your project and get the attention it deserves. ;)
Haos
Test Team

Re: Fundraising campaign 2012

Post by Haos »

Our project does not suit kickstarter too well, as the products displayed there have way much shorter production cycle, with clearly defined returns. It would not be possible with ReactOS.
DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

i would give kickstarter a chance
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Then clearly define a return. As with GSoC, say that we need x amount of money to hire a programmer to work on x.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

Definitely not a fit for ReactOS.

It requires rewards of some sort - what rewards, exactly, can ReactOS offer? It's not like they can give away free copies, which means the rewards would likely themselves cost money.

It would also require a lot of administration, which would cost more money (most of these projects have parties or special dinners and whatnot).
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

BrentNewland wrote:Definitely not a fit for ReactOS.

It requires rewards of some sort - what rewards, exactly, can ReactOS offer? It's not like they can give away free copies, which means the rewards would likely themselves cost money.

It would also require a lot of administration, which would cost more money (most of these projects have parties or special dinners and whatnot).
I concur. After reading up on it on the site, Ros doesn't seem very suited for it. There is indeed an implication of a possible reward (aka, it's focused on potentially economic beneficial returns). Which would that be, with Ros? It's excellent for things like (proprietary) progs or apps that might be economical viable or at least have the potential for a certain return, but for a core 'free as in speech and beer' open source project like Ros, there is no such thing.

At most, one could create a company or organisation which would aim to promote Ros (once it's finished) into the corporate world, and ask money for the support of it (just like with the big commercial linux-distro's); this seems like the only viable commercial application for Ros with a possible financial gain. But we're a long way off, and if that's enough for that kickstarter is far from sure.
DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

why not use indiegogo http://www.indiegogo.com/
DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

bump
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Acamapichtli

Post by Acamapichtli »

What is needed is increased promotion of the project. :!:
I'm already doing promotion in my own country and i'm using social networks, magazines and soon some posters
¡I want ReactOS!

Im spanish speaker not english speaker, sorry for my bad english.