Website Revamp: Your feedback is very needed !

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AmineKhaldi
Developer

Website Revamp: Your feedback is very needed !

Post by AmineKhaldi »

Hello folks,

We need your help w.r.t. providing feedback about the website revamp: It would be great if you could explore it thoroughly, to find issues and report them. You may browse the website just like you would naturally do (main website, the wiki, the forum...etc) and that should reveal as many issues as possible.

Here's the link to Typo3 based website: http://static.54.22.63.178.clients.your-server.de/
And to Drupal7 based website: http://new.reactos.org/

Please check http://goo.gl/fY8lj first to see if the issue is already reported, this way we won't end up with duplicate bugs. I set up a special component for it in "Online Services" called "WebsiteRevamp" ;)

I'm sure many of you guys are as patiently waiting for the website revamp as I am, so this is a good way to help accelerating things over there. Let's get the website revamp going !
andreas84

Re: Website Revamp: Your feedback is very needed !

Post by andreas84 »

Hello amine,
i did browse now 5 minutes and i found 3 differences.

1. the search on the left side in the forum is too big to the right.

2. the forum topics with the white background are harder to read.

3. klicking on general should list all topics in all sub forum of general (news, tutorial...).
AmineKhaldi
Developer

Post by AmineKhaldi »

Thank you, Andreas, for the prompt reply !

Can you please file bug reports for these, using the WebsiteRevamp component in Online Services ? If you don't know how to file bug reports, we have http://www.reactos.org/wiki/File_Bugs otherwise please consider joining irc (http://webchat.freenode.net/ then enter a username then put #reactos as channel) where I can guide you through the process in realtime.

Cheers ;)
andreas84

Post by andreas84 »

Sorry but my reading time in the forum is finished for today so i am leaving now. But if you still want me to do this some other day i will look when i can do it.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

It looks and works very nice, good job was done behind the curtains! I see that there are many pages missing/stubbed as of now so I will not create bug reports for them. I also didn't file a bug for search that doesn't work and for Download button that downloads the CMS instead of ROS (that is a nice easter egg).

Other than that, I created 16 bugs. Enjoy :mrgreen:
AmineKhaldi
Developer

Post by AmineKhaldi »

Thank you very much Black_Fox ! I'll check them out and assign them to Danny shortly.

Keep 'em coming ! ;)
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Wow, were to even start.

I guess, first of all, why is the thing constantly refreshing? There is no need to automatically refresh at all and it causes the page to jump which is really, really, really annoying.

That "news/commits" selection tab is huge. I would suggest making it smaller, but you really just need to get rid if that instead.

I don't think anyone would want to click on a button to see the current commits. It needs to be directly on the page right next to the news. It's OK to make the commits section small because the average viewer only needs to see that things are going on, not the details of each commit. (Anyone who really needs details on the commits will probably go directly to the mailing list or SVN anyway)

On the green buttons in the "get in touch section" there is some kind of extra blue selection shadow when mousing over that extends to the right that doesn't need to be there.

Also making the text bigger when mousing over those buttons doesn't seem needed.

Slow down the rotation of the random screenshot thumbnail! You don't want to give people seizures do you? Also some people might want to take a closer look at a screen shot before it rotates off.

I assume more screen shots can be added to the rotation? BTW, I can help make more screen shots if needed.

Are you even testing this in older browser? You know a lot of people will load up an older browser under ReactOS because it is more stable and then visit ReactOS.org. It needs to work well.

In SeaMonkey 1.1.x, Firefox 2, and Opera 10 the border around the links on the left does not display correctly. And there are numerous other formatting issues on various pages.

What he heck is MM_Forum? I though you were going to stick with PHBB? As a user I don't think I have seen any other forum that works as well as PHBB. But I can't log in to test the forum to really compare.

Are user accounts not migrated to this test version? I would assume not, but I can't log in to test things that need a login.

In the CompatDB there is a ton of blank space displayed at the top of each entry in my browsers. Also the screen shots are not appearing.

Other than that the CompatDB looks good as everything seem to be the same. You just brought the entire application over from the old system? If you did, you probably brought some known bugs with it, but I guess we can worry about those later. (I was under the impression it was somehow tied to RosCSM but I guess I was wrong)

At any rate, I can see that it took a lot of work to get this put together. I appreciate the work and effort it took to get this this far. Awesome job! And heres to hoping the last few bits here can get hammered in to shape so this can go live!
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

COOL! but it still has a small feeling of outdated (it is not, i know) ¿maybe round corners can fix that?
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Ug, I just noticed that in a stock Firefox 2.0.0.20 and SeaMonkey 1.1.19 all the sections are all jumbled up. I'm guessing there are "section" container tags or something similar?
jonaspm wrote:¿maybe round corners can fix that?
:lol:

Edit:
Also, for me the text on FAQ page displays as white text on a white background.

And there is a tiny bit of extra white space on the right side of the main page. This is due to the shrinkage of the random screenshot thumnbail and the removal of the checkin sidebar. If nothing else is going to go there in the future, might shrink it down.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

SomeGuy wrote:
jonaspm wrote:¿maybe round corners can fix that?
:lol:
¿What´s wrong?
milon

Post by milon »

SomeGuy wrote:Wow, were to even start.

I guess, first of all, why is the thing constantly refreshing? There is no need to automatically refresh at all and it causes the page to jump which is really, really, really annoying.

That "news/commits" selection tab is huge. I would suggest making it smaller, but you really just need to get rid if that instead.

I don't think anyone would want to click on a button to see the current commits. It needs to be directly on the page right next to the news. It's OK to make the commits section small because the average viewer only needs to see that things are going on, not the details of each commit. (Anyone who really needs details on the commits will probably go directly to the mailing list or SVN anyway)
I had this exact same reaction. I'd like to see both side-by-side somehow, or else just leave it at News and let the user click on Commits if they want to see it. The button is obvious so it won't get missed. I didn't explore it a whole lot, so I don't have much other feedback at this point.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Thanks to dangerground for swift response in fixing the bugs!
Here's current visual state of homepage as rendered by browsershots.org:
http://browsershots.org/http://static.5 ... server.de/
milon

Post by milon »

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a bug, but why is the page so wide? Check out the various browser renders linked by Black Fox - in all of them, there's either a lot of whitespace on the right or else a scroll bar indicating whitespace on the right. Is that intentional?

EDIT:
SomeGuy wrote:What he heck is MM_Forum? I though you were going to stick with PHBB? As a user I don't think I have seen any other forum that works as well as PHBB.
+1
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I love the new Latest Commits section, but I get this at the bottom:

Displaying results ###SPAN_BEGIN###%s to %s out of ###SPAN_BEGIN###%s

Edit: Which has been fixed by removing the page links entirely. I shouldn't have reported that bug, as I was about to use it to see all the commits since 57097 that you can't see on cia.vc at the moment!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Hmm, bug 7274 about Firefox 2 and Seamonkey 1.1 not displaying the new site correctly was closed as "wontfix".

Especially since these are ReactOS Goldenapps, does anyone else think the site should work correctly in them? Or am I truly alone in this? :cry:

This is what it looks like in Firefox 2.0.0.20