MinWin and Ros

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Planetary_Myth

MinWin and Ros

Post by Planetary_Myth »

http://apcmag.com/microsoft_agrees_wind ... system.htm

Will the devs be inplementing something similar to this?

I noticed its tailored to a microkernel instead of their traditional hybrid kernel is that something that the devs will be implementing as well?

This is one of the reasons I posted before about the Genode project as I thought if the 2 projects merged you would have one hell of an operating system. Just putting my 2 cents in.
Smiley
Developer

Re: MinWin and Ros

Post by Smiley »

Planetary_Myth wrote: I noticed its tailored to a microkernel instead of their traditional hybrid kernel is that something that the devs will be implementing as well?
minwin is not related to any kind of microkernel. it is mostly an effort to reorganize basic user mode dlls
milawynsrealm

Post by milawynsrealm »

At the moment, I do not see the need for ReactOS to be rewriting it's own kernel for something similar to MinWin. Right now, ReactOS already has a minimum memory requirement of 32 MB and seems to work fine even on older computers that cannot support Windows XP.
Planetary_Myth

Post by Planetary_Myth »

minwin is not related to any kind of microkernel. it is mostly an effort to reorganize basic user mode dlls
Wrong, It is to split the kernel and user mode so the kernel part becomes a building block for future system development.
Google Minwin and read the various articles as some go a little more in depth about why it is built that way.
At the moment, I do not see the need for ReactOS to be rewriting it's own kernel for something similar to MinWin.
I dont expect them to rewrite the kernel and I was asking if they plan on doing something similar to it eventually.
milon

Post by milon »

Off Topic: I noticed they did not link to any official sources - or any sources at all. Odd.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Planetary_Myth wrote:
Wrong, It is to split the kernel and user mode so the kernel part becomes a building block for future system development.
Google Minwin and read the various articles as some go a little more in depth about why it is built that way.
Before trying to contradict a ReactOS developer, it's best to make sure you have all your facts straight. While Giannis is not entirely correct that it's a reorganization of user mode DLLs, he is correct in saying that it's not related to any kind of microkernel. MinWin was basically an effort to reduce dependencies between various components of Windows and make the OS as a whole more compartmentalized and flexible. This does not make the current Windows kernel a microkernel in the classical sense, nor does MinWin by itself get even close to that.
milon

Post by milon »

Z98 wrote:MinWin was basically an effort to reduce dependencies between various components of Windows and make the OS as a whole more compartmentalized and flexible. This does not make the current Windows kernel a microkernel in the classical sense, nor does MinWin by itself get even close to that.
Also, I doubt if it would really have a noticeable effect on a desktop system since there are so many components that would still be linked in. My reading between the lines tells me that this isn't about desktop performance at all, but rather about making MS more competitive as a mobile phone / tablet OS. That's where they see the market going, and that's where they're leaning with Win8. This is just the next step in that direction. (It's also probably another reason why Microsoft doesn't care about ReactOS - we're aiming at desktops & laptops, and they're banking on the mobile phone market.)