When is Double Buffering in the GUI supported?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ma-games.de

When is Double Buffering in the GUI supported?

Post by ma-games.de »

When are you guys going to support dupple buffering in the gui? Is this a pretty hard thing to do? Personally for me, this is more important than the networking feature.
w3seek
Developer

Post by w3seek »

Double buffering has been supported for ages already...
ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de »

What I mean is that the control stuff on windows like labels, buttons and so on is paintet not at once. I meant this with double buffering.
Delfi

Post by Delfi »

w3seek wrote:Double buffering has been supported for ages already...

*boots qemu reactos 0.2.4*

not that i would believe in that, i can see how both
layers of shadowed text on desktop are drawn slowly.
nothin2g

Post by nothin2g »

double buffering would be nice, the gui would look more stable because of this ;)
w3seek
Developer

Post by w3seek »

1. windows doesn't use double buffering everywhere, ReactOS/WINE does/should only use them where windows uses them
2. Double-buffering does not increase stability nor "looks" more stable at all, but it for sure slows down the system even more
3. An example where ROS uses double buffering - where it shouldnt - is the caption bar - windows doesn't and we propably revert this - the reason ReactOS double-buffers it was that back about a year when there was barely a GUI everything was so slow that it looked ugly when the font and everything was rendered so slowly ;)
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

Actually I agree with nothing2g, it sure does look more stable with double buffering :P
nothin2g

Post by nothin2g »

does winnt does more doublebuffering than win9x?
at least i imagine it
Wir sind die Borg. Widerstand ist Spannung durch Stromstärke.
www.wakka.de
ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de »

What ever the reason for this is. The surface needs to be improved. As I already said: For me, this is more important than the networking stuff.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Right now most of ReactOS is being designed to just get things working, so there is a lot of unoptimal code. Just for laughs I loaded up Windows 95 in QEMU and its start menu, drop down menus, and dialogs appear almost instantly whereas with ReactOS it takes several seconds to draw out.

There are various reasons for the slow speed. The video driver doesn't support acceleration, ReactOS uses antialiased fonts, and there is a problem with the USER code that was supposed to be rewritten but has been delayed.
Linuxhippy

Hmm...

Post by Linuxhippy »

What ever the reason for this is. The surface needs to be improved. As I already said: For me, this is more important than the networking stuff.
@ma-games.de:
It would be great if you could help the reactos team with enhancing win32k-code or donate to developers working on this!
This would really help...

lg