Arwinss : Alternative names + logo request

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cruonit

Re: Arwinss : Alternative names + logo request

Post by cruonit »

ReactOS Catalyst (Ratalyst) :) would be great if HomeWorld Catalyst would run on it :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeworld:_Cataclysm

there is also:
Flash Catalyst
Adobe Business Catalyst
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

A frustrating name for Arwinss:
Ekpyrosis (Ancient Greek ἐκπύρωσις ekpurōsis, conflagration) is a Stoic belief in the periodic destruction of the cosmos by a great conflagration every Great Year. The cosmos is then recreated (palingenesis) only to be destroyed again at the end of the new cycle.

ps. EkpyROS-is orrrr EK-Pyros (pyros short for Pyromania) also an assotiation with the maker.. FireBall .. pyrOS / ekpyROS

i see the reactos logo burning logo... http://www.likecool.com/Home/Outdoor/Pl ... re-Pit.jpg
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

I would like to point out that, because Arwinss is looking to distinguish itself from ReactOS, it's on a different release schedule, it's not intended to have all of its changes merged with ReactOS (if I understand correctly, making it not a regular branch), and it uses lots of ReactOS code but is moderately different from ReactOS, it is technically the first u=http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Distributions]distribution[/url].

How about Blowfish?

EROS (Experimental ReactOS)

WAR (Wine And ReactOS)
fred02

Post by fred02 »

BrentNewland wrote:I would like to point out that, because Arwinss is looking to distinguish itself from ReactOS, it's on a different release schedule, it's not intended to have all of its changes merged with ReactOS (if I understand correctly, making it not a regular branch), and it uses lots of ReactOS code but is moderately different from ReactOS, it is technically the first distribution.
No it is not, here what "da man" himself said earlier in this thread:
fireball wrote: It's not a name for a new OS, or a fork of ReactOS, it's just a name for Arwinss subsystem. Also, WineReactOS, ReactOSWine, RosWine, WineRos and similar simplest acronyms don't worth consideration. At the very least, any of the ROS devs could think that up by himself.
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

fred02 wrote:
BrentNewland wrote:I would like to point out that, because Arwinss is looking to distinguish itself from ReactOS, it's on a different release schedule, it's not intended to have all of its changes merged with ReactOS (if I understand correctly, making it not a regular branch), and it uses lots of ReactOS code but is moderately different from ReactOS, it is technically the first distribution.
No it is not, here what "da man" himself said earlier in this thread:
fireball wrote: It's not a name for a new OS, or a fork of ReactOS, it's just a name for Arwinss subsystem. Also, WineReactOS, ReactOSWine, RosWine, WineRos and similar simplest acronyms don't worth consideration. At the very least, any of the ROS devs could think that up by himself.
Well... are the changes being introduced back to ReactOS? If not, then I would consider it a separate distribution.

*Edit* Sorry, I misunderstood what Arwinss actually was. I would agree that it is just a branch.

How about Roswell.
ironek69

Post by ironek69 »

BrentNewland wrote:
EROS (Experimental ReactOS)
I had to:
[ external image ]
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

BrentNewland wrote:Well... are the changes being introduced back to ReactOS? If not, then I would consider it a separate distribution.

*Edit* Sorry, I misunderstood what Arwinss actually was. I would agree that it is just a branch.

How about Roswell.
I am not sure, but I think WoOs (Spanish Reactos fork) uses ARWINSS. That is really only way they can claim more compatibility to Windows than Reactos and still have mostly Reactos under the hood. They would have more of the same compatibility that WINE has with Windows.

I love the EROS name and the cute cupid logo someone made. While I don't think we can use that, I am glad to see that humor is alive and well.

To stay on topic, I will mention what just popped into my head - AIR. Alternative Implementation of ReactOS. It could give Reactos a breath of fresh AIR. This could even fit in with earlier discussion using names of distilled spirits. Air -> spirit -> spirits ->alcohol -> WINE. Air is a simple, and easy to say word, and won't offend the sensibilities of those who are not computer literate. IMHO, I think a lot of people are turned off by open source projects which have overly complex or stupid names, stupid logos, kludgy installers and interfaces, and are covered with "legalese." AIR would imply a lightweight implementation, and would work well as a version name. We could have ReactOS Classic, ReactOS AIR, etc.

RACE is another possibility. ReactOS Alternative Compatibility Enhancement. I guess connotations could be an issue. We don't want to evoke images of racial conflict, race conditions, or that we are in a hurry. RICE could be similar - ReactOS Implementation for Compatibility Enhancement. Maybe the long name is not as clean, but it would be free of connotation issues. Rice may be small and simple, but it is a food staple in many parts of the world. Plus it can fit in with the earlier discussions too. If you ferment rice, what do you have? Wine or other spirits.
9rockky

Post by 9rockky »

"Aphro OS" from Aphrodite (goddess of love;because everyone will love this after used.) :D
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

9rockky wrote:"Aphro OS" from Aphrodite (goddess of love;because everyone will love this after used.) :D
And then someone can make a ReactOS+Linux hybrid and call it Hermaphro OS.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

DOSGuy wrote:And then someone can make a ReactOS+Linux hybrid and call it Hermaphro OS.
It's got both? ;-) That would be kinda cool. Thank you for the smile.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

DOSGuy wrote: And then someone can make a ReactOS+Linux hybrid and call it Hermaphro OS.
I wonder if LUK guys are interested in a new name. :lol:
Dove

Post by Dove »

I would like to suggest the name-

WindOS

-simple, clear, co-sound with compatibility you know what with ;) , doesn't take any MS rights for its proprietary OS name )))
Alexey, you would like it !!! Because it sounds great not only in english but in russian too !

And of course - logo must be in a style of symbol of a Wind ! (Wind of change ;) )
fLuXx

Post by fLuXx »

Dude, I proposed that name somewhere in the beginning of the thread. Unfortunately, I didn't get much positive feedback. I still think the idea is awesome, however, others don't. They say it reminds people too much of windows(tm). I don't, but I'm not in charge.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

If Microsoft can sue because "Lindows" is too similar to Windows, what are the odds that they don't have a problem with "WindOS"?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
fLuXx

Post by fLuXx »

Well, Lindows lawsuit finished with MS paying 20mil to Lindows, so not exactly a bad end. Besides, we could call it Wind OS (or just Wind). So many options for a great name. Anyway, it is just an idea.
Dove

Post by Dove »

ok, my next try ...

WyndOS

This word cosounds more to wine ;), but doesn't touch MS rights at all now ..
The meaning of this word metaphorically corresponds to the project idea !!!

And a logo in style of a road/street/alley would be not bad!

(Anyway WineOS and WindOS were a good propositions either...)
Last edited by Dove on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.