VMware Player

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cuppm

VMware Player

Post by cuppm » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:28 pm

I know ReactOS is distributed by ISO, but this might be a good way to get people to try it as well. I know QEMU is free, but isn't VMware faster and much more compatable?
VMWare released today the VMWare Player, a freely downloadable tool that 'plays' virtual machines (it just doesn't let you create any). This can prove a very important tool for OS makers who would like to demo their OS to new users, users who don't want to burn live CDs and also keep the OS makers safe from any hardware incompatibilities in the user's machine (as the OS would run inside VMWare Player, the compatibility is always guaranteed). VMWare already posted a demo for their VMWare Player, a 200 MB 'Browser Appliance' based on Ubuntu.
Wubble Blog - http://intr.overt.org/blog/?p=10
VMware Player - http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Jaix
Moderator Team

I agree

Post by Jaix » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:29 pm

Yes!
I agree, I would like the wmware nightly images back, preferably in the svn, perhaps in norton ghost format so it's possible to use it on real hardware.

A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:11 pm

Doesn;t VMWARE use RAW images ?
So it should be able to be written to a hd with a tool like dd ?
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre

TwoTailedFox

Post by TwoTailedFox » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:14 am

The core file used is 57MB (Via SVN).

Assuming the free player is based on 5.x, I can do weekly ones, uploaded to Sourceforge.

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:53 am

VMWare ReactOS for everyone!
This is my copy of the VMWare files for a ReactOS Virtual Machine to be installed as well as a description of what the player can and cannot do for ROS.

Here is the current set of VMWare files to install and run ROS. Tested with ReactOS .2.8 RC1 on VMware player 1.0.0 for Windows and created with VMWare Workstation 5.0.0 in windows. I do not know of this will work with VMware player in linux.
http://depaulo.org/ROS/ReactOS_VMare_fi ... rd_500.zip
It's settings are:
192 megs of ram (the player can adjust this)
An IDE hard drive of 4 gigs (the size of the disk image is expanded as it is used)
CD-ROM drive set to use your physical CD-ROM drive (auto-detect)
Floppy drive using your A: drive (will be disabled if you have none)
Ethernet: NAT (adjustable in player)
USB controller present
Audio enabled

Once you have VMWare player installed (in windows at least), download the latest version of the ReactOS boot cd (.2.8 RC1 works.) Burn the ReactOS boot cd, and leave it in your drive. When the player is started and you select the files in my archive, it will boot to the cd and begin the cd phase of the install. Select all the default options here. After it restarts, it will boot to the hard drive phase of the install. This will go normally until it asks for the vmware tools to install the VGA driver. We can't help you with this now, just hit cancel. It will then pause. Go to player, troubleshooting, reset. After the reset, ReactOS will be working fine!

Here is the version to use c:\reactos.iso as the CD instead.
http://www.depaulo.org/ROS/ReactOS_VMar ... so_500.zip

Here's what you can do with the VMware player as far as ReactOS is concerned:
-boot to the vmware CD/DVD drive (either your physical drive or an ISO) and install reactOS to the vmware hard drive (a vmdk file included with the vmx config file, and possibly other formats) (using the ROS boot cd).
-I'm sure it will also let you run the live cd
-Boot to the hard drive and Run ReactOS once it is installed to the drive.
-Change settings in the VMware bios
-use sound from ReactOS (if/when there is support for the VMWare sound card)
-use networking (.2.8 RC1 and .3 SVN automatically have it setup upon boot cd install)
-Switch the networking model around between bridged, NAT, and host-only
-adjust the amount of memory given to the VM
-enable or disable the optical drives, networking, and audio while it is running
-put it in standby when you quit the app (or just power off when you quit)

It will not let you:
-adjust all the other hardware settings like what and how many drives to use, including what ISO image to use for the optical drive
-adjust what OS profile for VMware to use. Right now ReactOS seems to like the windows 2000 one.
-Install the VMware tools (although they should work if the VMware Workstation machine already had them installed). Currently the ROS installer lets you use this feature to install the video driver.

In the end, this is surely a great way to test out ReactOS. As you all may know, ReactOS is alot faster than qemu because it does virtualization not emulation.
Last edited by mikedep333 on Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:13 pm

Using your files, well, it tells me no operating systems have been founds and just stops :?
What's I doing wrong ? I've burned 0.2.8RC1...

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:00 pm

It probably is having trouble using your cd-rom drive or cd one way or another.

Do you have only one cd-rom drive? You might want to unmount all the other ones if you have more.

Hopefully the option to enable legacy emulation wasn't necesssary.

Update: I've posted a set of files set to use c:\reactos.iso as the cd image instead. Just try using that.

GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:02 pm

Ok, it's working that way, thx !
But... The mouse/keyboard are not working, I mean, the install goes well, but then, I can't have them working :oops:

GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:17 pm

Ah, it's because I've selected french layout for keyboard and mouse, it seems it's not supported :? ?

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 am

Glad to be of help.

Perhaps support for the french layout is supposed to be working since they include the option for it. You should find out on IRC if that's a bug or an unimplemented feature. If it is the former, then post it on bugzilla.

Jaix
Moderator Team

Testimony

Post by Jaix » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:25 pm

Well, I have tried the VMWare Player and your image, I must admit, this is a VERY big improvement compared to the qemu, it's fast stable and nice looking, though the driver iso is needed to get the VMWare graphics driver up'n running. It's a bit frustrating not to be able to configure everything, but most things is working good. I must say, this is one of the absolutely best ways to try ReactOS for a new user.

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:50 am

ReactOS .2.8 now preinstalled and with the mozilla activex control!

Here is a VMware image for ReactOS .2.8 with the mozilla activex control 1.6 installed. Probably only working in windows VMware 5.0.0 and later and windows VMware player.
http://depaulo.case.edu/ROS/0.2.8/React ... ard_500.7z
The VMware settings are:
192 megs of ram (the player can adjust this)
An IDE hard drive of 4 gigs (the size of the disk image is expanded as it is used)
CD-ROM drive set to use your physical CD-ROM drive (auto-detect)
Floppy drive using your A: drive (will be disabled if you have none)
Ethernet: NAT (adjustable in player)
USB controller present
Audio enabled

Installed Software/drivers:
VMware display driver
VMware NIC driver
Mozilla ActiveX Control 1.6 (working very slowly when it does work. If it stops working, reboot)

And here it is in a 7z self extractor, and a 3x as large zip file.
http://depaulo.case.edu/ROS/0.2.8/React ... 500_7z.exe
http://depaulo.case.edu/ROS/0.2.8/React ... rd_500.zip

And a version without the ActiveX control installed.
http://depaulo.case.edu/ROS/0.2.8/React ... ard_500.7z

Let me know how this works.
If the devs want to host this officially or want it modified for that, I'd be happy to help.

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:02 am

That's cool! Thanks :D

Jaix
Moderator Team

This works good, congrats!

Post by Jaix » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:32 am

I would like to recommend everyone who hasn't tried reactos network to try this one out, it works good and is an easy way to try the advanced features of ReactOS out. I have tried the Tiny webserver and it works again, congratulations everyone who wants to try ROS.