Greek translation pending for ages

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

crackez

Greek translation pending for ages

Post by crackez »

Hi there,

I'm a Greek translator for the ReactOS Website, althought I'm many years a translator I never deal with much of the translating stuff. Recently I had some time and translated a few webpages but they are still on pending, I tried to send a couple of e-mails but I found a dead end

I'm sending a message here to whoever is responsible to the "pending" thing. Who validates these things and why there is a process like this. I mean would it come the time that I won't need a "pending" thing?

Hopefully someone would reply to this, so there would be at least the main page(index) with Greek too.

Best Regards,
CrAcKeZ
Last edited by crackez on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Greek Translation Pending ..many days now

Post by EmuandCo »

Hi, OK, I try to find out who is able to publish greek translations. I cant help you because I am only enabled for German
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
crackez

Post by crackez »

EmuandCo thanks for the reply

its just pity to have many webpages translated but not used :}
crackez

Post by crackez »

So I won't bother translating the other webpages as its useless, if they can't be online whats the point spending hours and hours of translating/transforming the English language to Greek language that is meanful without changing the meaning or the words much..

If I see the Greek webpages up, I'll continue..until that I'll wait for a miracle? :evil:
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Of course someone could just activate it, but we need someone to check read your work. Someone who is known to understand Greek and who is in our team for a while. We had bad experiences with just making someone the maintainer of a language. Just hold your horses.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

EmuandCo wrote:Of course someone could just activate it, but we need someone to check read your work. Someone who is known to understand Greek and who is in our team for a while. We had bad experiences with just making someone the maintainer of a language. Just hold your horses.
maybe giannis could do?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Maybe, if he wants to. We still have the problem that the switch to the new Website will cause to be manually transferred texts, but that way we would know that these texts are fine...

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Just out of curiosity, is the double check to make sure that the translation is perfect, or just to be sure that new translators aren't writing anything naughty or offensive? I've used user-contributed translations in some of my software and website projects, and I just run the translated text through Google Translate (or Babelfish in the old days) to make sure that there are no swear words or propaganda in them. I figure typos are forgiveable and the user community will point them out, at which time I'll fix them.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Both i guess.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Who gave you translator access originally?
Apal

Post by Apal »

Soeey guys but I really don't have the time to check the translation. I, along with Giannis, made changes to the rc files for ReactOS but i don't know if Giannis was responsible for the website too.
I must find time though to change and commit the latest Greek translations for rc files.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Z98 wrote:Who gave you translator access originally?
Me? Dangerground

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

No, the Greek translator.
crackez

Post by crackez »

Z98 it was LOOOOOOOOONG LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago,

I went to the irc and I was talking with some guys(maybe one was you).. so someone told me to translate a webpage and we should see if I'm suitable..
then another guy got involved when he saw what was happening and he was like "we don't have people for translation and you want to check if this guy is right?" and made me translator at once - Don't ask me his nickname its been quite a few years

after that I didn't manage to translate anything due to studies(I finished at the University of Sunderland[U.K.]), I'm Greek and I live in Greece now(finished at September 2009)

P.S. I spoke to Giannis(John in english if you prefer :P, a while back too.. we talked about translations and I was happy to do the website, although he told me that I could do the os itself but I don't want to bother much, I'm a bit lazy to find out how that works, althought I finished Computing and here in Greece I work as Computer Repair Technician my time is limited but I have some spare time and doing a translation of some pages is a piece of cake). Ask Giannis if he can see just one page, feel free to "sack" me if I'm not legit

You can check my work, for example at the open-source program "ultradefrag"(the Greek language is done by me), also "DriverBackup!" another open-source program.. although the last one I'm not sure if he put my Greek translation, he told me he will put it with the new version
Last edited by crackez on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
crackez

Post by crackez »

is there an edit on the post or what?

anyway, Apal.. in the past I spoke with you too, don't know if you remember its been more than a couple of years we exchange e-mails, probably from my hotmail account

If I remember well, either you or giannis was trying to translate the website at that time but I might be wrong about it, its 4-6 years back heheheh