0.3.14 LiveCD issue with Acer Aspire One

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

FrogDemon

0.3.14 LiveCD issue with Acer Aspire One

Post by FrogDemon »

When using the newest LiveCD I get an initialization error stop code 0x00000069 blue screen. I have tested ReactOS in the past and never even seen a BSOD on it.

Hardware:
WD 160gig HDD
Mobile Intel 945 graphics
Atheros ARB95 wifi
Intel Atom Dual core 3.2

After pressing any key to continue, I get the choices menu. LiveCD (Debug) is highlighted. I let it go to that and after loading 3 drivers it hangs

The LiveCD choice BSODs. The LiveCD (Debug Log) choice hangs after 3 drivers are loaded. If y'all need any more info on this I will try and get it.
SomeGuy

Re: 0.3.14 LiveCD issue with Acer Aspire One

Post by SomeGuy »

That error suggests that ReactOS can not find your CD drive after loading the kernel. Is this an SATA CD drive? If so, try enabling IDE emulation in the bios.

If you are sure ReactOS has worked before in an identical configuration, can you pinpoint when it worked last? Personally, I would check around r51738, when UNIATA was last updated. You might also try replacing the UNIATA.SYS on the CD with one of the (technically older) ones from http://alter.org.ua/soft/win/uni_ata/
FrogDemon

Post by FrogDemon »

All the other times I used a flash drive to load the OS. I have since lost that flash drive and am using an external DVD drive. Might just be the reason?
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

ReactOS does not recognize USB CD-drives yet. So yes, that would cause the error.

You must run the live CD from an IDE or SATA CD drive (or possibly external eSATA) that is recognized by UNIATA.
FrogDemon

Post by FrogDemon »

I will have to wait till I get a new flash drive to try it on this lappy then. If it worked with one before, I am sure it will work again.
**M**

Post by **M** »

I have an Aspire One (AOA150/ZG5), so let me know how it goes.
FrogDemon

Post by FrogDemon »

If you have a flash drive it should be fine. I don't remember if it recognizes the wireless or not. But give it a shot.
~metallica~

Post by ~metallica~ »

I have AOA110 and I've tried a few things :) First, there is now easy way to make ReactOS run on those netbooks. First I tried 0.3.14 using a flash drive with CDFS partition (some flash drives allow you to have a partition which the BIOS and OS sees as CD), but that failed. Then I tried chaining GRUB with Freeloader, but that failed too. In the end I was able to install ReactOS (56595) by first installing it in a virtual machine and then copying all files to the netbook's SSD and again using GRUB. After loading ReactOS it asked me for a lot of drivers, but I had them prepared and copied to the SSD :) The bad new is only WiFi driver installed, but I didn't found any way to scan for WiFi networks :( When tried to install video driver (GMA 950) using it's setup program, everything went fine, till next boot - blank screen after ReactOS boot screen :( Also installing LAN (Realtek) driver through ReactOS' wizard ended in BSOD :(

Drivers tested:
Video - only setup install possible, which crashes the system after reboot
Audio - wizard can't find the driver (XP version)
LAN - wizard finds the driver, but ends in BSOD (both 2000 and XP versions)
WiFi - wizard finds and installs successfully the driver
Web Cam - wizard can't find the driver (XP version)

There ware also some other drivers (ACPI, System device, USB something), but I don't know that they are and where to get drivers for them. ReactOS doesn't have them :(
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Wifi has a small configuration tool, which name I forget. Try WL.exe.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

I have an older Acer Aspire One and a newer Acer Aspire One; neither have an optical drive. It would be neat to try installing ReactOS using the Isostick; assuming that ROS sees it as an non-USB optical drive. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, we have USB support now, but afaik it does not support boot from usb disk drives yet.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Once ROS does boot from an USB optical drive, it would be neat to try it on at least one of my Acer Aspire One netbooks. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

http://shop.elegantinvention.com/
From the reviews, it seems to work the way they indicate that it is suppose to. Here is the site where one can buy one. It would be neat to try it and see if it one can install ROS from it and have the computer see it as an optical disk instead of a flash drive. :ugeek:

It was also available on Amazon but it indicates they are out. :|
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy