Keyboard and Mouse support.

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

wolfeking

Keyboard and Mouse support.

Post by wolfeking »

Okay, I am going to admit that I have been eyeing React for a while, and I finely got a HDD that I can use to play around with so I downloaded the latest (0.3.14 I think) and tried installing it. I am fine up to the screen after reboot where it starts the ReactOS setup wizard, but I can't go any farther. The Mouse (both trackpoint and touchpad) and keyboard do not work at all at this point. I can not get a cap lock light or anything from it. I tested it in Ubuntu and everything works, so its not a hardware failure.

Okay, You probably need a little more info.
I tried it on a Dell Latitude D630 (Core 2 Duo T7100, Nvidia NVS135m, 2GB DDR2 667, 80GB SATA 1.5gb/s HDD, intel 965PM chipset, ICH8 I think SATA controller) and a Precision M90 (XPS M1710) (core 2 duo t7200, Nvidia FX2500m, 4GB DDR2 667, 500GB SATA 3gb/s HDD, 965PM/ICH7) and both had the issue.

Is there anyway to get past this? I would love to get at least one of these lappys running it, but its impossible without a mouse or keyboard.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Bobj_1960

Re: Keyboard and Mouse support.

Post by Bobj_1960 »

Do you get the options to start using DEBUG and or SCREEN?
I found that by booting with these 2 options I can see where it is hanging up or failing and the screen will show the log for detailed messages.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Are you using a USB or PS/2 keyboard and mouse? 0.3.14 doesn't support USB, but the latest daily builds do to some extent.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
wolfeking

Post by wolfeking »

I do not know if they are PS2 or USB. They are the included keyboards. They run on a ribbon cable to the motherboard. Currently I have Ubuntu 12.04 on the D630 , so is there a way to tell what interface the keyboard is through it?
milon

Post by milon »

I think it's likely the SATA harddrive, actually. ReactOS doesn't play nice with SATA right now. You wouldn't have an IDE drive or motherboard IDE emulation, would you? I still can't boot ROS on my PC because I only have SATA. But it works great in a virtual machine like VirtualBox or something. It's a nice way to be able to test it out if the hardware approach doesn't work.

EDIT - Welcome to the forum!
wolfeking

Post by wolfeking »

Both the M90 and the D630 run naively in IDE mode. I have never seen a reason to run them in Sata mode. really there is little performance loss going to IDE mode, so I don't use it. Not even on the desktop.

Besides, isn't this supposed to be built off the 2k/XP core which would bluescreen in ACHI mode?

How bout this. I can try it on my desktop, but that is USB too. I found a PS2 PCI controller card at newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 815124061R). If I got it and a PS2 mouse and keyboard, would I be good with it?
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

wolfeking wrote:How bout this. I can try it on my desktop, but that is USB too. I found a PS2 PCI controller card at newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 815124061R). If I got it and a PS2 mouse and keyboard, would I be good with it?
I think that is just a USB card with built in PS/2 to USB port converter.

I've seen a couple of cards like this and they don't provide a the AT-PS/2 keyboard controller hardware interface needed for DOS and other OSes. In other words, functionally it is exactly identical to plugging a PS/2 device in to regular USB port with a converter adapter.

Newegg also lists an SIIG model that doesn't say anything about being USB, but I would be surprised if it isn't the exact same thing. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815150153

Does your BIOS have anything in it regarding "legacy" or PS/2 emulation? Or any other settings regarding the mouse or keyboard?

Usually most motherboards that lack PS/2 ports have a BIOS option to emulate PS/2 compatibility.
wolfeking

Post by wolfeking »

I know for sure the BIOSes of the lappys do not. The BIOS on the desktop does not specifically list PS2 compatability I do not think. I will look deeper in a bit though to be sure.
wolfeking

Post by wolfeking »

okay, I checked the BIOS and UEFI and have found nothing. I do have a single PS2 port on the Z77 extreme 4 motherboard though. But it does my little good as you can not work it with just a keyboard or mouse, right? Unless there is a splitter of some sort that can be gotten?
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

wolfeking wrote:Unless there is a splitter of some sort that can be gotten?
In theory it should be possible to use a y-splitter on those kind of motherboards. Newegg lists a couple of PS/2 Y-Splitter Cables, but if you read the reviews neither of them work :(

They take our COM ports, our PS/2 ports, our FDD controllers... if this keeps up we won't even have anything left we can call "IBM PC compatible" :evil:
wolfeking

Post by wolfeking »

yea, I noticed the reviews. :(. Maybe there is a header to add one on. I do not think there are. The only ones that I am seeing that are not USB or fan headers are IR1, PLED1, and CIR1. I know IR is infrared and LED is a light of some sort. CIR I have no idea what it does though.