ReactOS Fundraising 2012

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DOSGuy

Re: ReactOS Fundraising 2012

Post by DOSGuy »

cmoibenlepro wrote:
DOSGuy wrote:No. ReactOS would have to be a charity registered with the Canada Revenue Agency.
Would it be difficult to register?
You'd have to find someone who knows about registering charities in Canada. That's not my field at all, but I can tell you that it's never been more difficult to be a registered charity in Canada. A few years ago there was a big news story after it was discovered that many charities were spending almost 100% of their donations on themselves, in the form of salaries and advertising, and little to none of the money was being used for the charity's stated goals. Dozens of charities have lost their charitable status. There's more scrutiny now, so it's harder to become a charity and harder to stay a charity.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Well, there's the question of whether Canada has a distinction between non-profit and charity, and what that means with respect to donations. This project is most definitely not a charity. At this point in time, I'd say we do not have a base from which to register in Canada.
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

With worldwide financial crises going on and thus people losing their job, I can see these donations helping to employ a developer hopefully for about a year. Or ofcourse if someone's got his own consulting firm, to keep them busy for a while with funding from these donations. With lots of employees getting their holiday money (or is that a typical dutch-only thing?) end of this month, others and myself should be able to contribute towards this goal.

How long does the fundraising last? indefinitive, a fixed period or till goal met (or calendar year expired) ? Even if not meeting the goal I hope you're able to hire a couple of people for some time frame. Might be for the best if donators do NOT get input on what a hired dev would work on, hehe.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

I guess I should mention it here too, seems like it's appropriate: on the site, above, there is a bar with "ReactOS Fundraising Campaign 2012" on it. I've donated some money to Ros more than a day ago (with paypal), yet I still don't see any change in the numbers (it's exactly the same as before my donation more than a day ago). Is this normal? What is the delay in it showing the correct cipher for the donations received?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Fundraiser updates are not in realtime. It requires the person who manages the account to update it manually. Depending on how busy he is, there can be a delay of a couple of days before he can get updated numbers out.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

'kay, thanks for the info. Guess he's been busy then, for the last 2-3 days.
jorge1987

Post by jorge1987 »

I Have donate for first time in my life to a project.

Not a lot of money, but is my grain of sand to the people who work for this amazing Project.

Best Regards to all of you.
Jorge Abreu. Buenos Aires/Argentina.-
"No te des por vencido ni aun vencido"
jorgeabreu.blogspot.com
desarolloylinux.blogspot.com
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

jorge1987 wrote:I Have donate for first time in my life to a project.

Not a lot of money, but is my grain of sand to the people who work for this amazing Project.

Best Regards to all of you.
Jorge Abreu. Buenos Aires/Argentina.-
So I see.
DukeNukemCZ

Post by DukeNukemCZ »

isnt 30 000 EUR too ambitious at this stage of project? ( community is not large enough to pay so much in reasonable time ), its hard claim 5000 EUR :?
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

It's not about being ambitious. It's about pushing ROS development towards at least beta. As you probably know, ROS is really complex, so it's development isn't cheap.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, its a whole operating system. There are so many thing still tbd, before we can call it ready for everyday use. Many devs already work hard and spend much of their spare time for ROS, but this way it wont be beta in the next two years. Thus we need full time devs. Haiku did it that way and we can do so, too. Look how much money we already got after three weeks. Some PR and it will increase quickly. 30000€ is not much if you wanna pay devs. They get quite some money every month and that with a good reason.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
DukeNukemCZ

Post by DukeNukemCZ »

EmuandCo wrote:Well, its a whole operating system. There are so many thing still tbd, before we can call it ready for everyday use. Many devs already work hard and spend much of their spare time for ROS, but this way it wont be beta in the next two years. Thus we need full time devs. Haiku did it that way and we can do so, too. Look how much money we already got after three weeks. Some PR and it will increase quickly. 30000€ is not much if you wanna pay devs. They get quite some money every month and that with a good reason.
i know margins in "industry" (working my self) but my issue is not if 30 000 is adequate from point of moral but if its possible to reach with such small community if now rising slowing around 4000 EUR. (if there is simply enough people willing to pay)

Maybe PR makes miracles but im little bit skeptical about reaching 20 000 or even 30 000 in reasonable time...

on other hand in my country no major magazine/webzine informed about react OS long ago so maybe PR can do something.

of course its all connected with stage of reactOS now, if ROS can do more, then probably fundraising would be easier ( theoretically), practically ros will maybe need gamers for this (i know its far away).

?vicious circle?
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I think it's both pointless and self-defeating to set a goal that is smaller than the amount of money that you need. If you base your goal on what's "reasonable", such as 5000, and then achieve it, maybe people stop donating. If 30,000 is what we need, 30,000 should be the goal. If anything, looking like we're a long way from achieving our goal will encourage people to donate more than if we had set a lower goal and were close to achieving it.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

DOSGuy wrote:I think it's both pointless and self-defeating to set a goal that is smaller than the amount of money that you need. If you base your goal on what's "reasonable", such as 5000, and then achieve it, maybe people stop donating. If 30,000 is what we need, 30,000 should be the goal. If anything, looking like we're a long way from achieving our goal will encourage people to donate more than if we had set a lower goal and were close to achieving it.
I agree. I believe it may be better to go for overkill and fail than to succeed at an overly small goal.
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

Just an information in my country you can employ 4-5 fulltime developers(with the degree: master of compuer science) for 30.000€ (without taxes so maybe 4) a year.

For 5.000€ or less you can employ an fulltime Master student in CS over the student service (you don't have to pay for taxes and health assurence - they are granted because he is a student) but only with flexible working hours

In india/china reactos could get even more developers for the same money.