3D drivers (OpenGL) for Reactos

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Geri

Re: 3D drivers (OpenGL) for Reactos

Post by Geri »

new version released.
-faster memory access
-some potentional double-free corruption bugs fixed
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Im will be here too!!

Go on Geri! I like your project
Geri_lgfx

Post by Geri_lgfx »

thankyou ^^
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i really don't see what's the issue here as long it's free open source then there's no issue, we need all the help we can get. and ros is way behind ball right now
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

It's not.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Maybe Geri and ROS Foundation can talk so they could try your project but in charge of sponsoring it... Bad idea?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

jonaspm wrote:Maybe Geri and ROS Foundation can talk so they could try your project but in charge of sponsoring it... Bad idea?
I figured he could just do dual-licensing.

Now, I am curious what it does that the Wine stuff don't do? If it was open source, it might could be used to help any missing functionality in the Wine drivers.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 384#p82384

Since Geri explicitly stated against opening his sources, this discussion is a moot point.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Haos wrote:http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 384#p82384

Since Geri explicitly stated against opening his sources, this discussion is a moot point.
I had the right to make that comment without you treating me like I lack the intelligence to have read that. I said what I did BECAUSE he said that. He may change his mind. I have the right to make the suggestion, and it doesn't contradict what was said earlier. That post was just his feelings at the time, and he has the right to change them at any time. He could still dual license his source without harming his bottom line. As such, we cannot use his drivers.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

It might be me, but if someone says "no", i understand this as "no", not as "well, maybe later", or "perhaps in a year i will give this another thought" as you seem to suggest. If that wasn't enough, he openly stated that his license was chosed to protect his (financial) interest . You could disagree, of course, and discuss about it (if there would be anything to discuss, but still) yet you prefered to tag my post with stupid "offtopic" warning, as if it had anything to do with your intelligence being offended.

Statement removed by mod.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Haos wrote:It might be me, but if someone says "no", i understand this as "no", not as "well, maybe later", or "perhaps in a year i will give this another thought" as you seem to suggest. If that wasn't enough, he openly stated that his license was chosed to protect his (financial) interest . You could disagree, of course, and discuss about it (if there would be anything to discuss, but still) yet you prefered to tag my post with stupid "offtopic" warning, as if it had anything to do with your intelligence being offended.

Statement removed by mod.
Again, he has a right to change his mind. He might change his answer later once he becomes more informed. He might be willing to go for dual-licensing as opposed to typical open source. One proposed memory allocator uses that strategy - open source for open source projects and commercial for all others. There has to be a license that will allow someone to make ONE copy/version open source but forever maintain the right to build from the original (not FOSS derivatives). It is probably possible to have a dual license, not open source as it is usually understood. Like he could give us old source or a skeleton and let us build from it without him profiting from our changes, nor us from his.

My intelligence was insulted no matter what you think. If you want to discuss this further, lets take it to PMs.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Yes, please do so. Geri posted his opinion here more than once. Any discussion about this is useless and should continue as PM...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

if doesn't want his software in this project then that's fine. but if he's not willing to open his source code then that fine too. if you know someone else who is wok on a project like yours then point us in the right direction ros is all about open source and freedom. from what am seeing if this guy says yes, we could use the software but if he says no in the future then this can only cause trouble. :(
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

EmuandCo wrote:Yes, please do so. Geri posted his opinion here more than once. Any discussion about this is useless and should continue as PM...
Which could simply mean he is not aware of ALL his options or that was he mere feelings at those times. Nobody else explained things as I did. There was no harm in my innocent comment, and a mature person would have ignored my post and moved on. And I agree with you.
iPick12

Post by iPick12 »

I agree with Geri and I think that he should first port it to ReactOS, give the binary to the community to try it out, and then,
if it's good, he and the ROS community could come in an agreement about the sources.
Probably, he could give the sources to the community, but in a custom license that would restrict anyone from redistributing it. (Bad idea?)