Real people dealing with Windows 8

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

fulea.stefan

Real people dealing with Windows 8

Post by fulea.stefan »

SomeGuy

Re: Real people dealing with Windows 8

Post by SomeGuy »

Just a thought, the ReactOS PR team (or any PR people for that matter) should watch carefully how Microsoft manages to market Windows 8. This should be interesting.

Windows 8 is so far away from what their customers appear to want from an OS, it should be like selling ice to Eskimos. Most companies that try this sort of thing quickly go out of business, but Microsoft has the money to blow on PR. Not to mention they did similar back with Windows 98 and the IE desktop.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

SomeGuy wrote:it should be like selling ice to Eskimos
I would think you were looking for a different analogy?

FlyingIsFun1217
milon

Post by milon »

It's only stupid if they don't have consumers with touch devices.

MS made a new touch device

MS is getting into the Touch-Screen-King-of-the-Hill game, it seems.
fulea.stefan

Post by fulea.stefan »

After the rant, the man takes action:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Micros ... 15007.html
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
i tried windows 8 customer preview i tested it may be about 1 hour then i removed i am going continue using windows xp up to the end of support then switch to windows 7 hopefully the software to make windows 7 better will have gotten a lot better http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

edit
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Micros ... 15007.html
Has Microsoft completely taken the wrong direction with Windows 8?
YES
Is Microsoft so intent on taking on Apple in the tablet sector that it's completely lost track of the desktop consumer
YES
Alahndro

Post by Alahndro »

Very big ouch in Win8:

Windows 8 will drop support for xpdm drivers completely.

That means all the PCs, that are not state-of-the-art, but who still worked quite good with xpdm drivers in win7 will become unusable for Win8!

Time to move on to reactos...
Alahndro

Post by Alahndro »

Only top show you what is approaching us:

Video playback of mpeg4s (xvid, divx, mepg2) video in SD resolution (720x576) takes about 700Mhz of decoding power, as long as the graphiccard accepts pure yv12 colorspace.

After I managed to get Win8 running in VBox i tried to play some video as above, but managed to get only about 10 fps on a 2.5Ghz core (i used only one of my two cores)

So u need 8 Ghz for video playback on the "Windows Basic Display Adapter" for full 25fps... ?! And this "performance" also accounts for any gui or cad display!

And:
This software rastarized DWM can no longer be disabled!

Where will we stand in another 10 years?

It's sad when u remember times when tools where made that lasted for 50 years...

nowadays we have to throw away generations of electronics just because it is labeled "too old", and nobody asks where all this garbage ends...

Someone said once:
smart people make complex tasks simple
dumb people makes simple tasks complex
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

i like the way Microsoft changed the known UI for another newer one... but i hate it for desktops!!!!

the interface is for touch devices, since is difficult to use in desktop...

i installed windows 8 and in less than an hour i was deleting it from my PC
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You're running Win8 in a virtual machine and you blame the OS for being slow?
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Windows 8 is actually a paradox. It's an OS that runs quite smooth and boots up quickly, so from a technical point of view - epic. But they've ruined it all with Metro UI. I actually like some of it's elements but most of the changes make no sense on anything different than tablet.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

There are always things like this (autoskip Metro) or this (Win7 start menu) that can remedy some of the pains if you're only after kernel/performance improvement.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
i wonder how many windows users are going to run out to get windows 8 when it goes gold then install it then they realise that it is a big pile of censored

there are tools to modify a windows vista / 7 install http://www.vlite.net/ & http://www.rt7lite.com/ but windows has got so bloated that it is hard to tell what can be remove and what will break the install so i am sticking with windows xp and i wunder how many of the improvements can get backported to windows 7 ?
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

it's not just microsoft it's linux and mac too. i use lubuntu 12.04 and lubuntu pretty what windows 98 is like other spin off's like kubuntu and ubuntu involves with too much eyecandy which i really hate :( i like to have a basic ui a.k.a dsktop interface. pretty much everyone is going for the metro interface, well not me i don't have a tablet, smartphone and smart tv and really don't want one.
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Ok. I know, that lots of you here would kill me because I wrote this post, but...

I hate people with closed minds. Yes, I mean all of you, who installs all those "Classic Shell" crap to remove all the new features from only one reason - You're too lazy to adapt to the changes. I hate people who use USB mice instead of built in touchpad out of pure laziness.

I hate people, who are installing Windows XP on brand new computers. "WINDOWS 7 IZ A CRAP COZ ITZ NOT XP!1111". "WINDOWS 7 HAZ A SUPERBAR ITZ A CRAP". "WINDOWS 7 DOZNT HAZ LUNA THEME ITZ A CRAP". "WINDOWZ 7 HAZ DIFFERENT WALLPAPER ITZ A CRAP" etc. People, that are installing lots of crap that is consuming their PC's resources, just to make it look more like XP. But after that, they realize how sluggish the OS became, so "WINDOWZ 7 IZ A CRAP COZ ITZ SLOW", even though it would run much faster if they only could adapt to the changes.

Yes, closed minds. Hating everything, that it's different from anything they already know, cause it's different. Just don't give it a try, hate it! Just stay in the 2001, while world is going further and is constantly changing.