81%
it's not much better than the old one
15%
NO, I don't like it at all
4%

Total votes: 81

Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

Thanks to Dominik for making the wallpaper available!
Dankeschön :D

About the Start Menu Panel, I like the 'traditional' start menu (like in Win2000) better than the start menu panel in WinXP, too. Like the one Dominik has in his modified gui, or the one in rosexplorer at this time, I somehow find it more clean then such a panel with way too many entries.
Alkali

Start menu

Post by Alkali »

I think Bond007's start menu would look better if the left column was removed, as with the lower "my documents", "my pictures", and "my music". In the place of the lower "my ..." internet and all programs should be placed. Also "printers and faxes" should be removed because they are covered by the control panel.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

You must mean start menues that contain the normal stuff.

I think we should cram a bunch of stuff into it and allow labels to be turned off so they display like one of the following:

[ external image ]

My personal favourite is the first one. The more I see KDE the more I see how it has the three choices (LOG OUT - LOCK SCREEN - SHUTDOWN) rather than just a shutdown option. I leave my workstation locked when not at it and its just habit anymore on my Windows machine to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to activate the LOCK SCREEN thats apart of the Novell Client.
Last edited by MadRat on Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Go Huskers!
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Dominik wrote:
Floyd wrote:i hate the start panel.
You hate my startpanel or you hate one of the panels some other users posted in this thread?
i hate the start panel idea.
not necessarily your submission.
Last edited by Floyd on Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

MadRat wrote:You must mean start menues that contain the normal stuff.

I think we should cram a bunch of stuff into it and allow labels to be turned off so they display like one of the following:
to me, those designs are cluttered.
the start menu is simple, easy to read and staright forward.
i would agree tho the start menu should list the options in the "log off" area by default (logoff, shutdown and lock).
i would also like to add an exploding "my computer" menu to the start menu (along with the "properties" option).
some people really like it i suppose and could compromise to include both.
Crappish

Post by Crappish »

Quick post about the start menu, before I have to run to a meeting.

First of all, Dominik's design: You really don't want to waste highly valued real-estate for reactos titlebar. Sure, it could look nice but as, by Fitt's law, screen border is infinite target I really don't see why name bar such be one...

Secondly, MadRat's design. That's too cluttered to be fast to use. Stacked method works better and user doesn't have to guess what icon is which; no labels is suicide. Just look at OS X's Dock...
Can't provoke anyone? Why bother posting?
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

I was just wondering if any of this would get in the svn trunk? Dominik has made some great suggestions (and I even like the taskbar made by Bond007). Its just that even with these suggestions I have not seen much change in the design to date (although this is just from 0.25-0.27).
As I said at the beginning of this thread this is how I could imagine stable version 1 to look like. This is just a design suggestion, there are no icons and stuff made yet. Also my design suggestion has to be improoved a lot.
Could you post a link to the modified explorer.exe version.
There is a edited version of my design suggestion #1 available edited by stefan, the improved explorer will be part of suggestion #2:
http://reactosde.re.funpic.de/mediadeta ... p&mdnr=121
About the Start Menu Panel, I like the 'traditional' start menu (like in Win2000) better than the start menu panel in WinXP, too. Like the one Dominik has in his modified gui, or the one in rosexplorer at this time, I somehow find it more clean then such a panel with way too many entries.
the start menu is simple, easy to read and staright forward.
i would agree tho the start menu should list the options in the "log off" area by default (logoff, shutdown and lock).
These two guys say exactly what I think.
i hate the start panel idea.
not necessarily your submission.
Well I had no new idea, i was just editing the icons and the bar on the left of the stock start menu. All the graphics of the other posters aren't made by me.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

I like crappish's start menu which he posted on the mailing list a while back
There is basic layout I designed a while ago, displaying the search menu & view:
http://www.tpu.fi/~a5mtikka/varasto/gui ... search.jpg

As the two column start menu seem to create quarrel I created kind of
a hybrid of those two. From top down (- {item name}: {things in the
submenu}):
- Username, Help button
- The list of recent applications used
- My Documents: Recent files, Browse my files
- My Computer: Browse my computer, Printers, Control panel
- Network: Recent, Browse network, My shares, Network settings
- Search: Search, Recent, Advanced
- Run: Run, Recent, Advanced...
- All programs
- Lock and Power off

-mikko
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

MadRat Ouch. Might be useful and colours and stuff just are ouch on the eyes.

Menu Clutter is the biggest problem with windows. Linux fixed this by added more menu start points ie Games ....

The problem that windows really needs a solve for. Hiding entrys is not the fix.
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

I honestly don't think the windows start menus are cluttered.. I have no problems with them, but I prefer classic.

Those posted by MadRat are horrible..
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

so does anybody have furhter ideas what to improve for suggestion #2?
(expect changing the startmenu to a startpannel)
sfinx

Post by sfinx »

I think suggestion 2 is just fine!

I personally would NOT make the start-button a "start panel". Keep it simple. You first design, was very nice: small, clean and uncluttered. That's the way it should be!

The first thing I do after installing windows, is disabeling all those "fancy" effects and bringing the XP-menu back to the standard windows-menu. If people want a start menu with lots of icons and fancy colors, let them have it, but I believe that "the standard" should be "simple for everyone".

Just promise me, you will get this UI work uploaded in the standard ROS-package. Their has been sooo much talk about UI lately, somebody should finally make the choice and integrate this thing....

great work!

sfinx.
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

I wouldnt make it a start panel either. I dont like the fancy effekts too but when time comes developers will shurely integrate a startpanel that a user can select if he wants to. But I really don't think that this is important at the moment. I also don't think that my suggestions have to be included immediately but I am already talking with some developers how to implement my ideas.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

ged wrote:I like crappish's start menu which he posted on the mailing list a while back
There is basic layout I designed a while ago, displaying the search menu & view:

submenu}):
- Username, Help button
- All programs
- Lock and Power off

-mikko
that is pretty sweet. maybe i should subscribe to the mailing list.
maybe we should have a "don't panic" option
:D
Quvack

Post by Quvack »

ged wrote:I like crappish's start menu which he posted on the mailing list a while back

submenu}):
- Username, Help button
- All programs
- Lock and Power off

-mikko
Out of all the designs in this thread, this one is by far the best. At least in my opinion :) The others are way too cluttered for my liking, regardless theres still plenty of time before this stuff is that much of an issue.