mingX under development

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oiaohm

mingX under development

Post by oiaohm »

X11 based on x.org for windows.

Expand Reactos from windows to a windows/Unix hybred? More apps sooner.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

To port over x11 to windows/reactos native are big work.
and it will take long time. if any one have that idea.

reactos for monet only support windows nt
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

When it comes to GNU environments that I would like to see, I would like to see a windows(actually, ReactOS) native port of KDE, and GNOME. If those two were compiled for win32, with some added support structures, it would sadly strike a hard blow at the Linux Desktop--- but it WOULD give ReactOS users the opportunity to keep the current desktop, or switch to an established GNU one.

I really could see where there would be a demand for it.
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

KDE already runs on Windows in CygWin (they are working on making it not dependant on X11), and I belive there was a GNOME port, but it was very out of date.
oiaohm

The Point Xming has is.

Post by oiaohm »

X11 server is provided without requiring any out side libs ie cygwin.

Unix software has a subsystem ie most is all ready emulated ie the psx section.

So programs on linux/unix most likely can be build without need for emulation section. Of course programs interfacing with drivers will still need work due to no linux/unix driver emulation ie Cdrecord would have to be a windows version but gcombust might be able to be build from the source in linux/unix mode.

Home directory marker would have to be defined and pointed into the users personal space.

More fast running apps. Colinux could even take advantage of the X11 provided.

Basicly this the developer of Xmings goal to use microsofts sfu sub system to let linux/Unix apps to be built for windows. So Reactos takes advantage and provides a willing set of better testers and maybe some more developers for a great project.

KDE already runs on Windows in CygWin (they are working on making it not dependant on X11), and I belive there was a GNOME port, but it was very out of date.

Cygwin also provided problems with the dll problems between different versions of Cygwin. Lets clean this up. Note Kde is less than half of the linux/Unix apps gnome is stable on X11 gnome requires GTK gtk is not stable yet on windows ie once stable Gnome port will start.

Providing the lay now opens up doors.