EPIC FAIL!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SomeGuy

Re: EPIC FAIL!

Post by SomeGuy »

BTW, there is indeed a Worms World Party Demo downloadable from here:
http://wwp.team17.com/main.html?page=co ... _down_demo

This version has a 32-bit setup loader and installs fine under ReactOS. However, running it only shows a black screen. From what I have read, Worms is problematic even under Wine.

But really, it seems like not that long ago I watched as ReactOS 0.1.x - with no desktop shell at all - slowly displayed Windows Solitaire. An Epic Win for ReactOS at the time as it could hardly run much else.
Tenebra

Post by Tenebra »

I've tried to install:

1)Google Chrome: the installation program hasn't started
2)Adobe Flash Player: the program was installed correctly, but when I enter a Flash site with Firefox, the program freezes!
3)The audio card driver: BSOD! :)

P.S: sorry if my English is a bit horrible, I'm learning it :D
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Tenebra wrote:I've tried to install:

1)Google Chrome: the installation program hasn't started
2)Adobe Flash Player: the program was installed correctly, but when I enter a Flash site with Firefox, the program freezes!
3)The audio card driver: BSOD! :)

P.S: sorry if my English is a bit horrible, I'm learning it :D
Tried to install Chrome also, didn't work for me either! :D

Also, I want to install MS entertainment pack, but can't find any demos or whatnot. I'll try to find something.

EDIT:

Tried to install the MS pack, not a valid 32 application! EPIC FAIL! :lol:
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

ArmyMan007 wrote:
Tenebra wrote:Tried to install the MS pack, not a valid 32 application! EPIC FAIL! :lol:
This also happens when the software requires Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages, where I could only install the version as of 2003. None newer is installable.
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Radhad wrote:
ArmyMan007 wrote:
Tenebra wrote:Tried to install the MS pack, not a valid 32 application! EPIC FAIL! :lol:
This also happens when the software requires Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages, where I could only install the version as of 2003. None newer is installable.
Since when do I need Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages to play games from Windows 3.11 or Windows 95? :o The MS entertainment pack was meant to be played on such OS's. For some reason it doesn't work on ROS.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

ArmyMan007 wrote: Since when do I need Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages to play games from Windows 3.11 or Windows 95? :o The MS entertainment pack was meant to be played on such OS's. For some reason it doesn't work on ROS.
AFAIK the Entertainment Pack are 16bit apps. so they don't work.
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

ArmyMan007 wrote:The MS entertainment pack was meant to be played on such OS's.
I didn't know that it was build for Windows 3.11. Maybe ReactOS should tell the user, that 16bit Apps don't work instead of using the same message for completely different errors (from user point of view).
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

There were a number of programs that remained 16-bit well in to the late 1990s and beyond.

I have a copy of a program called "Print Artist 6" that appears to have been released in 1999. The OS requirements are "Windows 98/95/NT" and has a 32-bit setup... but the entire application is a huge 16-bit WINDOWS 3.1 program!!

While I think the thread title is a bit overkill, you could say there is an epic failure here.. ON THE PART OF SIERRA HOME!!! (The company that published it) for not updating it to a 32-bit version earlier.

On the brighter side, Print Artist 8 is 32-bit. (Doesn't start up under ReactOS, I'll look closer in to that sometime)
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

SomeGuy wrote:There were a number of programs that remained 16-bit well in to the late 1990s and beyond.

I have a copy of a program called "Print Artist 6" that appears to have been released in 1999. The OS requirements are "Windows 98/95/NT" and has a 32-bit setup... but the entire application is a huge 16-bit WINDOWS 3.1 program!!

While I think the thread title is a bit overkill, you could say there is an epic failure here.. ON THE PART OF SIERRA HOME!!! (The company that published it) for not updating it to a 32-bit version earlier.

On the brighter side, Print Artist 8 is 32-bit. (Doesn't start up under ReactOS, I'll look closer in to that sometime)
Please accept my round of applause for this line: "While I think the thread title is a bit overkill, you could say there is an epic failure here.. ON THE PART OF SIERRA HOME!!!"... Laughed myself to death! :lol:
milon

Post by milon »

The other day I was playing an old 16-bit game on ROS - Exile 2: Crystal Souls. Of course, I was using DosBox and Windows 3.11 in between. Is it sad that the Win 3.1 file manager works much better than ReactOS' own file manager? Epic fail! haha!
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Tried to install Google Earth just now, install never even bothered to load up...
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

milon wrote:The other day I was playing an old 16-bit game on ROS - Exile 2: Crystal Souls. Of course, I was using DosBox and Windows 3.11 in between. Is it sad that the Win 3.1 file manager works much better than ReactOS' own file manager? Epic fail! haha!
Hey, that's not a fail. Win 3.1 was a great OS ;)
Although, if you mean it's more featureful, then it is a fail :P
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

ArmyMan007 wrote:Tried to install Google Earth just now, install never even bothered to load up...
Challenge Accepted - Partial success

[ external image ]

This is with 5.2.1 and sadly it doesn't get any further before ReactOS BSODs.

Protip: Always use the full installer, not the Internet downloader (Yo, dawg, I hear you like downloading, so we made you download a downloader so you can download your download!)
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

SomeGuy,
Please accept my congratulations. You are officially AWESOME!!! :D :D :D

But I don't understand: I downloaded the install file from their website... or was it an internet installer?
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

ArmyMan007 wrote: But I don't understand: I downloaded the install file from their website... or was it an internet installer?
By default they make you download a tiny downloader that, when you run it, goes off and downloads the rest of the needed files. You have to change a couple of advanced options on the download page to get the full thing, and it is not obvious. Dunno why they do that as the full download is not all that large. In all fairness, that SHOULD still work under ReactOS.

Those things are annoying because you get people who save those off thinking they have downloaded the entire thing and then wonder why it is so slow or fails to install when they take it somewhere else to install later.

Microsoft popularized the use of internet downloaders back when they used one on IE 4 because A: dial up users really did need more control over which components to download and B: there was a nasty bug in IE 3 where it couldn't download files larger than 12 megs. IE? Now THERE is an EPIC FAILURE for you :twisted: :twisted:

Oh, and this is why I think discussing installation problems on the forum is a good thing, it might inspire someone else to find a workaround or get to the bottom of a problem. I never would have even tried Google Earth if you hadn't mentioned it.