My idea list:

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ls

My idea list:

Post by ls »

Sadly I cant program in C. Luckily I can program in VB so I can get that running on reactos!

This is my idea list for future versions:

Move ReactOS Package Manager to where ReactOS Setup would be
Give Add/Remove Programs that XP look
Add the wine version of msiexec.
Fix the mouse (it has gone strange on 0.3 SVN unlike the Windows one)
Shutdown system (Priority 55 for this. Log Off isnt that handy)
Replace Terminate ROS with Hibernate or something.
Recycle Bin
Change icons to style of Vista (I guess thats what ROS is trying to achive)
Make common drivers (nVidia, ATI, Belkin Wireless etc) drivers support straight off the CD.
Make web browsing clearer (I cant seem to find Reactos Internet Browser in 0.3 SVN as of yesterday. And ROS Web reports no inet control)
Upgrade Reactos from previous build (EXTREMILY IMPORTANT! You dont really want to get rid of ReactOS every time you get a new release)
Fix bootsplash (you could put a progress bar in that block at the bottom)
Application DB like wine?
Report tool. If a program crashes then there should be a tool that can send it to bugzilla or something.
Move GPL to text mode setup.

Please feel free to add anything or change.

If you need any VB6 programming done let me know. Ill do everything completly free of charge and all source will be supplied
ScoTTie

Re: My idea list:

Post by ScoTTie »

Move ReactOS Package Manager to where ReactOS Setup would be
Ill assume you mean move it into the ./reactos branch, the reason (i guess) its not there is because its still _very_ alpha. I actually havnt seen that many commits for it lately at all.

There has been talk about how it should look, as i understand that control uses IE's API.

I assume the version of msiexec in the SVN is Wines

Not really that important at the moment, just power off your computer or VM.

Make common drivers (nVidia, ATI, Belkin Wireless etc) drivers support straight off the CD.
This has been a target for a _long_ time, and its getting closer ever day.

Make web browsing clearer (I cant seem to find Reactos Internet Browser in 0.3 SVN as of yesterday. And ROS Web reports no inet control)
You need the Mozilla Gecko ActiveX (?) control. (Google brought up this as the first link).

Upgrade Reactos from previous build (EXTREMILY IMPORTANT! You dont really want to get rid of ReactOS every time you get a new release)
ReactOS isnt at a stage where this is of much importance, most times my install lasts an hour before something i install totally frys it.

One should be coming sometime early next year (dont quote me).

Report tool. If a program crashes then there should be a tool that can send it to bugzilla or something.
Its called cut and paste, there are so many bugs at the moment that it would probably crash bugzilla if all the reports were to get sent ;)

Most of the other ideas you had are way to premature for ReactOS's current state, Id rather see a stable OS sooner than one that has all the bells and whistles but crash's all the time.
ls

Post by ls »

ScoTTie wrote:Move ReactOS Package Manager to where ReactOS Setup would be
Ill assume you mean move it into the ./reactos branch, the reason (i guess) its not there is because its still _very_ alpha. I actually havnt seen that many commits for it lately at all.

There has been talk about how it should look, as i understand that control uses IE's API.

I assume the version of msiexec in the SVN is Wines

Not really that important at the moment, just power off your computer or VM.

This has been a target for a _long_ time, and its getting closer ever day.

You need the Mozilla Gecko ActiveX (?) control. (Google brought up this as the first link).

ReactOS isnt at a stage where this is of much importance, most times my install lasts an hour before something i install totally frys it.

One should be coming sometime early next year (dont quote me).

Its called cut and paste, there are so many bugs at the moment that it would probably crash bugzilla if all the reports were to get sent ;)

Most of the other ideas you had are way to premature for ReactOS's current state, Id rather see a stable OS sooner than one that has all the bells and whistles but crash's all the time.
How do I set up ReactOS internet browser then. I have seen it in the pictures but I cant seem to find a way to start it in yesterdays svn iso. And I cant download the Mozilla ActiveX control without a web browser.

Some day Reactos will be so good it will be challenging linux! :roll:
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Its called cut and paste, there are so many bugs at the moment that it would probably crash bugzilla if all the reports were to get sent
We got a report tools for bugs if a program crach, but it need network
stefan

Post by stefan »

Create an image with the Mozilla Control installer and install it in reactos.
the ibrowser.exe is placed somewhere in \reactos.
#reactos - nothin2g
Get your shit at http://www.wakka.de
mr.x1

Post by mr.x1 »

Some new sugggestions:

#Integrate an On-Off switch for network support (is this possible?)
#Swith-User function
#Execute as... function
Davethewave

Post by Davethewave »

In the future ReactOS should also have a update manager that pops up in the task-bar (Optional) or can be run manually. That way when there's an update here it will be able to download automatically and install :)
twelvegates

Post by twelvegates »

ls wrote: How do I set up ReactOS internet browser then. I have seen it in the pictures but I cant seem to find a way to start it in yesterdays svn iso. And I cant download the Mozilla ActiveX control without a web browser.
You can run the ftp tool inside the Command Prompt window.
ls wrote: Some day Reactos will be so good it will be challenging linux! :roll:
Linux with or without Wine?
kaczor

Post by kaczor »

of coz with ...
kokodin

Post by kokodin »

i have good idea if it is posible

implemented some hotkeys like

ctrl+alt+delete ==> task menager
tab ==> to moving in os without mouse (if doesn't work or is break)
ctrl+esc or windows key ==> start menu
ctrl+:z,x,c,v,a ==> undo, cut, copy ...
alt+f4 ==> to close everything that is active or close system
*+* ==> some more sugestion

:D
Lucractius

Post by Lucractius »

"Upgrade Reactos from previous build (EXTREMILY IMPORTANT! You dont really want to get rid of ReactOS every time you get a new release)"

Yes ill agree with that :) ive got plans for something i just have to learn C/C++ :oops: unless someone else feels like verifying that the Java -> Native Binary (run without a VM like regular exe style) Mingw compiler works Or wants help get code going before i learn / while i learn. 8)