set screen resolution during set up

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dark

set screen resolution during set up

Post by dark »

I'd like to be able to set the screen resoultion during the set up wizard, the default is always set to low for most monitors.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

I think it should be set like WinXP, where on startup if the res is lower than it could be, it asks if it can increase it.
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

Things like this don't have priority. Why can't you just right-click on desktop and click properties, then setup the resolution and bitdepth like in windows? It's not like ReactOS has to be that user-friendly yet, and besides, look at win98 for example, it's default resolution if it doesn't find a matching driver is 640x480 at 16colors! :shock:
Quvack

Post by Quvack »

If you compile ReactOS yourself, you could change it yourself by editing hivesys.inf (under /bootdata) its under the "; VBE SVGA driver section"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VBE\Device0","DefaultSettings.BitsPerPel",0x00010001,8
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VBE\Device0","DefaultSettings.XResolution",0x00010001,640
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VBE\Device0","DefaultSettings.YResolution",0x00010001,480
changing those keys will do what you want, at least it works with the VBE SVGA driver anyway. :)
oiaohm

Please don't ask for res change all the time.

Post by oiaohm »

Phalanx you have just asked for a feature of XP that drives me nuts untill I turn it off.

My 17 inch monitor has a max res of 1280X1024 my running res is 1024x768 under windows. Due to icons and stuff under linux is higher.

See the problem when I am at my running res I am not where near my Max res.

Yes the installer should be able to set the screen res but thats it.
Phalanx

Re: Please don't ask for res change all the time.

Post by Phalanx »

oiaohm wrote:Phalanx you have just asked for a feature of XP that drives me nuts untill I turn it off.

My 17 inch monitor has a max res of 1280X1024 my running res is 1024x768 under windows. Due to icons and stuff under linux is higher.

See the problem when I am at my running res I am not where near my Max res.

Yes the installer should be able to set the screen res but thats it.
It should only do it on first boot/new drivers...
oiaohm

I should be a little clearer

Post by oiaohm »

The problem is I update or downgrade my video card drivers. Yes with the work I do from time to time I have to. New drivers less bugs normally but some new ones have bugs that stop stuff from working right when doing partical things on them.

Its the new driver bit that drives me mad. My screen is X res why do you have to ask be to change it. It should really only be on change of card not change of drivers.

Basicly Yes its a nice feature but its really annoying when you have seen it 5 times in one week.(yes a bad run of video card drivers code pushing it into each defect)

I might be in ths small number here but it is annoying.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Well in your case there is a reason for a different setting. But in the case of the general public (which would not know how to change settings), it is a different story.
oiaohm

Phalanx Been thinking

Post by oiaohm »

If Drivers in question come from the same maker ie NVIDIA current past NVIDIA don't ask.

Direct Upgrade detection ie NVIDIA or ATI swaped with a newer or older version does not flip the screen adjust. Anything bar core Micrsoft or Reactos driver swaping really should not throw the window up.(This would not annoy me at all) And would effect home users. Most cases when you have your screen set right not a problem.

Or don't ask if the Max Res has not changed and Current Res exists. Most times when swaping backwards and forwards my drivers don't change the res of screen options.

General Public yes but lets try to do it a little better and annoy less. Systems can always be improved.
Phalanx

Re: Phalanx Been thinking

Post by Phalanx »

oiaohm wrote:If Drivers in question come from the same maker ie NVIDIA current past NVIDIA don't ask.

Direct Upgrade detection ie NVIDIA or ATI swaped with a newer or older version does not flip the screen adjust. Anything bar core Micrsoft or Reactos driver swaping really should not throw the window up.(This would not annoy me at all) And would effect home users. Most cases when you have your screen set right not a problem.

Or don't ask if the Max Res has not changed and Current Res exists. Most times when swaping backwards and forwards my drivers don't change the res of screen options.

General Public yes but lets try to do it a little better and annoy less. Systems can always be improved.
That is a good suggestion. I think that moving forward a driver version is ok, but backwards is dangerous, as the resolution could not be supported, or the person is trying to reset defaults. You also need a way of defaulting the graphics resolution back, in a driver fault.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

I agree on second look it really should just check 2 things if the Max res is the same and the current res exists in the new driver don't ask user to change.

Have you even noticed the safe mode effect. If Res is not supported by a driver it drop to its lowest res. Most video card drivers do this.(I guess a person like me is most likely to have it happen to) It would be worth testing with reactos to see if its the Windows core or a driver feature. The driver is most likely returning some kind of error code so the system picks default and this could be used to flag the set res.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

But that is if it belives it is working. It makes it hard if the person can not see it (eg. failure with monitor/res, or in the driver etc).
Jaix
Moderator Team

Keyboard sequence!

Post by Jaix »

I think it should be a keyboard combination like ctrl-alt-prtscr to toggle resolutions and another to change frequence ctrl-alt-scroll lock and finally a panic combination ctrl-alt-Pause for VGA res+freq.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Jaix just a idea if we are going to have res short cuts copy X11. Ctrl Alt + for higher and Ctrl Alt - for lower. Just to make it simpler for people from linux and freebsd and the like because this is the keys they would expect. As far as I know Windows does not use these short cuts for anything.

Freq changing on keyboard could be bad news.

Phalanx.
The res change window should have a explianion due to the current monitor/Video card driver depending on what has caused the state. Ie if its going to work with no new options and works there is no reason to bug the user to change anything since the user most likely has it set the way the like.

I work on the methrod the system should not fail out right to should keep on running and infom the user when need.

Reseting to defauts. The normal ways of doing this is in safe mode due to video drivers not working correctly ie you cannot see a thing any how. This is not a hard rule to make if installed a video driver in safe mode set to lowest supported res and ask user to return to normal mode to set there res.

Gamers and people like me all update or downgrade there video card drivers so no reason to question user for these operations unless something has gone wrong or more/different options are provided.

Mind you a video card driver roll back would be good. You know the click this button in 10 sec or you will return to previous res. Ie if you don't click this button in 10 sec you will return to previous video card driver. Would reduce the number of safe modes. Default guess no but as a option.