Promoting 0.3.14

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Promoting 0.3.14

Post by vicmarcal »

Hi guyz!
As you may know ReactOS has just released 0.3.14.
This release has incredible new features:
-Theme support
-New Networking stack(more stable and reliable)
-WiFi support(not through USB devices..yet)
-And big rewrites(do you remember the MSHTML bug?)..

I have has a personal idea, what about spreading the word?why not attracting(or at least trying) new Devs,Testers or Freedom lovers?Thanks to social networking we can reach people that we've never thought.
So my idea is:
Why dont we Twitt or write a small message in ReactOS Facebook Wall?
ReactOS Twitter is again alive so we can just retwitt or write a Twit mentioning the project( @reactos)
Do you imagine the day ReactOS becomes Trending Topic?
For now let's try to make ReactOS project known around our relatives and friends! :)

Retwitting is just 5 seconds, and I'm sure it can help more than a donation ;)
Jedi-to-be

Re: Promoting 0.3.14

Post by Jedi-to-be »

ReactOS ROCKS!
Last edited by Jedi-to-be on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alfanak.net

Post by alfanak.net »

i think it is a good idea

i do not like twiter or facebook and i do not use theme, but I play "warsow" online and i use "Reactos" as my nick, whene people ask me what my name means i tell theme about this project

this may help a little :D
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

alfanak.net wrote:i think it is a good idea

i do not like twiter or facebook and i do not use theme, but I play "warsow" online and i use "Reactos" as my nick, whene people ask me what my name means i tell theme about this project

this may help a little :D
Haha!Nice thing!So ReactOS is killing Pigs and CyberPunks? :)
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

GREAT ! I am on a ski trip at the moment, but when i return the first thing is to test new release, if mshtml bug is gone....

ReactOS slowly but straight goes its way to the summit !
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

wildschwein wrote:GREAT ! I am on a ski trip at the moment, but when i return the first thing is to test new release, if mshtml bug is gone....

ReactOS slowly but straight goes its way to the summit !
mshtml was hacked away. It should be fixed :)
phy_lbc

Post by phy_lbc »

I remember reading that there was a plan to dedicate this release to Ge van Geldorp (GvG) in some way (maybe in the boot logo). How did you guys do it, because I don't know where to find it in 0.3.14
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

That plan was deferred.
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

The project coordinator's email announcement makes a reference to this late developer in a respecting way :)

Goodluck promoting ReactOS meanwhile. Any chance of a 'feedback/experiences' thread here on the forums?
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Cool! :D
I am currently posting this from Firefox 10 running on Reactos and it works very well! ;)
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

vicmarcal wrote: write a small message in ReactOS Facebook Wall?
We have a facebook page? :P
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

ArmyMan007 wrote:
vicmarcal wrote: write a small message in ReactOS Facebook Wall?
We have a facebook page? :P
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ReactOS/19143619259
fulea.stefan

Post by fulea.stefan »

About promoting ReactOS, or something very closely related...
Three days after the v0.3.14 release, and among the good comments it can also be found some like

on Hacker News comments:
"LOTS of things are missing"
"Still a long way to go!"

or OS news comments:
"Windows 95 level of experience"
"they were always far behind Windows. Windows is a moving target and even if they'll come up with a fully functional Windows XP alternative"
"Getting the level of functionality that Windows has is just an unreachable utopia"

Well... It's alpha stage, alright, but I wonder if there could be drawn a clearer set of expectations about ReactOS that the public can be fed with. I'm not sure if it's good to let their imagination go wild and come later with disappointing comments. Other than being stable and Windows-compatible, may the rest of it be more or less dismissed? I mean like "the explorer shell might be necessary for some compatibility reasons, but don't expect a Windows (version) N «feel»", or "other than some basic applications and some generic drivers, don't expect on feature X, Y, Z that can be achieved with some third party software"? I didn't so far react much on those comments, but maybe I should have. Wouldn't be good for us trying to "educate" the market out there?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

This is a problem we should face, but it's tricky.
Let's see how are they:
1)Trolls. Yes, among them there are always trolls.In any Forum, in any Newspage you will find trolls. Trolls can't be educated,as they love to troll.
2)Advanced users. There are also advanced users trying to push ReactOS to its limits without reading ReactOS is Alpha. We are bored of remembering that ReactOS is just in alpha stage if you want to play with it as an user, maybe it is mature enough for some specific tasks but not as a general purpose OS.
3)Linux Fanboys. ReactOS is a nightmare for them.It rises love and hate in the same proportion. Implementing Windows(it sucks!) in a GPL way(oh, it's lovely!).Sucks!Lovely!Sucks!Lovely!Sucks!...Kabooom!
4)Windows Fanboys. This is not made my MS. It sucks.
5)One-sight user. (Vbox turned on)Ey!it looks as Windows95. It should be Windows95.(Vbox turned off)
6)Normal users. Ey!It has a repository!Let's test this app...WTF?The installer crashes!Why do they link to apps in ReactOS Apps Manager which aren't supported?
7)Objective users. This sucks..so much.But ey!good luck!.You've reached a nice compatibility.

There are 3 ways of conquering the Mass:
1)Releasing with a Theme. Let's do it more eyecandy.
2)Revamping all the icons. There are icon suites out there.Just pick one, from any Linux Distro. And bump them into.
3)Revamping the ReactOS website.Not a real need, but it looks old. Website and Designers are needed.

Changing just these 3) we will have x10 users more. A pity we have a total lack of developers and designers willing to help in a serious way. A real pity.
milon

Post by milon »

vicmarcal wrote:There are 3 ways of conquering the Mass:
1)Releasing with a Theme. Let's do it more eyecandy.
2)Revamping all the icons. There are icon suites out there.Just pick one, from any Linux Distro. And bump them into.
3)Revamping the ReactOS website.Not a real need, but it looks old. Website and Designers are needed.
All 3 of those sound like eye candy to me. :?

So, we need more eye candy devs. What skills exactly are needed? Would it be the PR team's job to try to recruit theme/icon/website devs? If not, who? Once we've got a clearer idea of what we need and how to get there then it's way more likely that someone will say "Hey, they need someone with the very skills that I have. I can help!"