USB now works

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pesho

Re: USB now works

Post by Pesho »

EmuandCo wrote:But log to file does not save kernel debugger output in the log. If ros fails it stops on the epic fail / assert
Yeah, that's what i meant since you can already log to a file if i'm not mistaking. To be honest, i haven't seen many USB-to-USB cables in stores, but they're probably going to be easier to find than the obsolete serial cables. There may be other, weirder ways to get debug info like through the Ethernet or Parallel ports... The idea here is to make real-hardware testing more accessible, so that ROS testing can stop being "Mostly through VM" as it is now. I have an old laptop that runs ROS perfectly most of the time, except that i can't get any proper debug because it lacks a serial port.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Yeah, I didn't really think that one through. I read "USB now works" and assumed that it referred to the trunk build. But as soon as it becomes part of the normal builds, I'll install ReactOS on a flash drive!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

Finally only been dreaming of this for seven years..! :D
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

with this commit it seems that USB booting is supported.(not in trunk yet)
I know it is mostly for linux based systems, but did you think about collaborating with UNetbootin? This could be an easy way for newbies to learn about ReactOS.
Just a suggestion.
igorko

Post by igorko »

Please test the build. Pay particular attention to the HID-composite devices and usb flash drives(and USB-HDD). They still have some problems. Simple mouse and keyboard work (on the keyboard not all buttons work but the main panel is ok). Hot removal can crash the system (guys are working on this now)

bootcd-usb-55401.7z

You can put the logs here or at some pastebin (without time resctiction)

P.S. In this build is included hack for VBox 4x (though not that one that will be included in 0.3.14 ). Works for me. In VBox first try OHCI and than EHCI (if EHCI is not checked than you are using OHCI) And of course try on real hardware. (e.g. because VBox can not boot from usb-flash)

P.S.S. Yep boot from usb is supported now, but not yet works ;) So provide your logs please to make it work.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

igorko wrote: P.S. In this build is included hack for VBox 4x (though not that one that will be included in 0.3.14 ).
Curious which hackfix it is.

Also, I believe the branch is now at 55412, for everyone's info. But keeping track with updating builds as fast as there are revisions would be nearly impossible :P

FlyingIsFun1217
igorko

Post by igorko »

FlyingIsFun1217 wrote: Also, I believe the branch is now at 55412,
Thanks you, Cap ;)
Sof_T

Post by Sof_T »

Thanks igorko, strangely this build doesn't trigger the mshtml bug on my virtual box which is the first time in months I've gotten past the install stage.
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Could someone reupload the file? Cause I'm unable to download it.
Sof_T

Post by Sof_T »

@Pisarz there is a copy here http://www.mediafire.com/?txpvfk9fhbu7sbt
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

I've meant reuploading it somewhere else (not MediaFire), cause I'm stuck in infinte loop of restarting download.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Pisarz wrote:I've meant reuploading it somewhere else (not MediaFire), cause I'm stuck in infinte loop of restarting download.
Try Jdownloader meanwhile :)
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Well, I guess USB flash isn't quite ready for real hardware. Gave the posted ISO a quick test in several configurations with the following results:

Biostar A770E3 - ReactOS freezes during boot if a flash drive is plugged in. Freezes instantly when a drive is inserted after it is booted.
KT7A on-board USB - completely unrecognized as far as I can tell.
KT7A with a PCI USB card - ReactOS BSODs at boot.

Since there is still a lot of work going on, is it too early for bug reports/debug logs to be useful?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Debug logs are always welcome very warmly.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Haos wrote:Debug logs are always welcome very warmly.
But where? Bugzilla doesn't seem to have a method for submitting bugs for different branches.

FlyingIsFun1217