more stable

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

johnny.l.kid

more stable

Post by johnny.l.kid »

hello!

I've used react for a few days and it's... in development!...

i think you should slow down the innovations and start to make the system more stable, and faster.

someone said in the forum that react is better than 98. i don't like 98 but that ain't true.

I also don't like the windows/react operating system but make a windows gpl'd it's a good think, so keep it real.
Ged
Developer

Re: more stable

Post by Ged »

johnny.l.kid wrote: i think you should slow down the innovations and start to make the system more stable, and faster.

someone said in the forum that react is better than 98. i don't like 98 but that ain't true.
The developers are working on stability more than new features, but you must understand that in order to make the system more stable, new features (like upnp) need to be implemented.

With each new feature comes new functionailty that the core system and many apps rely on. Thus new features = mroe stability.

As for the general stability of the system, the current SVN is the most stable state we have ever had it. I don't know if you read the news on the front page, but myself and Ge van Geldorp exhibited ReactOS at LWE UK last week, and we didn't experience one kernel crash throughout the 2 days. More info can be gleaned by reading the report.

In light of this, a new interim release may be on it's way very soon.
johnny.l.kid

how?

Post by johnny.l.kid »

i can't believe in that!

i can't even make a copy paste!!! it doesn't work...
i've installed powerdesk the kernel turns buggy...
ie6 asks about administrator permission.
directx8 (2k) doesnt install.
many icons in applications don't exist.
the reactexplorer it's to slow...

svn!? i''l search that...

tell me, i can't speak (wrong email) with the portuguese translating team what will i do?
GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN »

As you said it, it's in development, not finished.
How could DX and all these stuff install, there still a lot of stuffs to do, did you noticed the version number was 0.27 ? Until it reaches 1.0, you cannot complain something won't install...
Ged
Developer

Re: how?

Post by Ged »

johnny.l.kid wrote:i can't believe in that!
Can't believe what? That all devs are working on functionality and stability?

Try and name something that a dev is working on that doesn't effect the overall stability of the system!!

Maybe you should either pay the devs, who are all working on this for free, or come and start coding.
tell me, i can't speak (wrong email) with the portuguese translating team what will i do?
Maybe you should stick with windows until ReactOS passes your standards. You'll be waiting a while though, writing an operating system doesn't happen overnight ...... it's been under development for about 8 years already.
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Ged is absolutely right.

I really am getting tired of people complaining about stuff not working or not being implemented yet. If you're not happy with the state of ReactOS, either contribute to the project, or wait until it's near 1.0. In the meantime, the devs will be spending their time creating a free operating system for everyone including you, so you should definitely appreciate what they do.

And a note to the devs, you're doing great job. I fully intend to contribute myself when I can.
uriox

Post by uriox »

mikedep333 wrote:And a note to the devs, you're doing great job. I fully intend to contribute myself when I can.
I agree. I'd contribute if I could too...
Too many people don't realize how hard this is...
johnny.l.kid

Post by johnny.l.kid »

i didn't mean that.

i think react it's a good thing but just 'cause it's gpl.

And i know that it's in it's development stage but there are some basic things that need to be done; i'm not a developer, but i know when i can work or not with a piece of software.

how can i translate a file if can't even copy the source file to the react file system?

come on, don't just start to blame 'cause i'm criticizing. i just want to help.
if You don't want just tell me!!!
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

johnny.l.kid wrote:how can i translate a file if can't even copy the source file to the react file system?
You edit it in windows or linux.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
johnny.l.kid

Post by johnny.l.kid »

whatever....
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

johnny.l.kid wrote: And i know that it's in it's development stage but there are some basic things that need to be done; i'm not a developer, but i know when i can work or not with a piece of software.
Your contridicting yourself. You say you know it's in development (pre alpha at the moment) then you complain that some things need to be done so you can work with it, however it's not in a position where you can work with it.

IT'S UNDER DEVELOPMENT !!
If you have a problem, or a bug, file it in bugzilla and it will be looked at at some stage.
how can i translate a file if can't even copy the source file to the react file system?
Why can you not copy a source file to the ReactOS file system?
There are numerous ways to do this
whatever....
There is no need to be rude.
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Actually I have exprienced trouble with the copy command in recent versions, at least when attempting to copy from a cd to the hard drive.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi
directx8 (2k) doesnt install.
Windows 2k DirectX will never work in ReactOS
on many reason. One is that DIrectX is bound to win32k.sys in Windows 2000. And that is one reason of many. Another is we
do not support DirectX in win32k.sys. I will not go into detail how it works.
mikedep333
Actually I have exprienced trouble with the copy command in recent versions, at least when attempting to copy from a cd to the hard drive.
If you got problem with ReactOS cmd copy please fill in a bugreport to bugzila. the SVN rxxxxx and what param do u use, and so.
johnny.l.kid

Post by johnny.l.kid »

i've made a sugestion you accept it or not.

i have worked with some good projects in development stage and they all accepted my sugestions, you only care about defend yourself.

react is a piece of software useful for people who write the code for anyone else [DOT]

thanks! i'm going to help somebody else
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

johnny.l.kid wrote:i've made a sugestion you accept it or not.

i have worked with some good projects in development stage and they all accepted my sugestions, you only care about defend yourself.

react is a piece of software useful for people who write the code for anyone else [DOT]

thanks! i'm going to help somebody else
I think you don't understand and can't accept you don't understand. Your telling a person who knows what he is doing wrong, when he told you that the are aiming for the same thing. Just it does not work how you think.

I also wonder what the projects were, and if they turned out any better in the long term. CEOs of airlines let their experts recommend, they don't do that job. They would not be able to say a B787 or A380 would be better for their aim without them.