USB now works

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

USB now works

Post by vicmarcal »

Cameron Gutman and Johannes Anderwald, with the help of Pierre Schweitzer's mount manager, have successfully gotten USB drives to work in ReactOS. This includes not only the ability to read from USB drives but also install ReactOS to USB drives. Go to the ReactOS twitter account: https://twitter.com/reactos to check out pictures.

Note: Edited by PR Team coordinator.
DOSGuy

Re: USB now works

Post by DOSGuy »

I'm installing ReactOS on a USB drive when I get home. Woohoo!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

My apologies to Victor for editing his post. There was some confusion due to the wording of the topic title that we have now settled.
aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

DOSGuy wrote:I'm installing ReactOS on a USB drive when I get home. Woohoo!
I can't verify that this works because VirtualBox doesn't support booting from USB but I'd like to hear your results.
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

So that's installing from IDE/SATA CD-ROM onto USB flash drive, and bootable? awesome.

Some hardware solutions like Isostick and that Zalman VE-200 drive might do the trick also (both emulating USB CD/DVD drive).
Also an opportunity to test if ReactOS sets USB speeds upon driver init, or keeps to BIOS speeds
(my BIOS inits USB2.0 ports to 1.1-speed, only getting 2.0-speed in Windows or through commercial DOS USB driver)
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Happy compiling! (it isn't in a trunk yet iirc)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Pisarz wrote:
Happy compiling! (it isn't in a trunk yet iirc)
You can test the USB branch(if you're willing to test asap).Or wait until it is merged to trunk.
Cgutman and Janderwald are doing a great job and maybe more fixes are expected. :)
Anyway, feedback is always motivating and useful!
:)
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

The latest developments are surely one of the great milestones. People have been moaning about USB support for such a long time that it seemed like this moment will never arrive :) Congratulations to all the devs involved!

Now, what i'd like to know if it will be possible to debug via a USB cable. More recent hardware doesn't have serial ports, so this may be what's needed to get some better real-hardware debug going.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Pesho wrote:The latest developments are surely one of the great milestones. People have been moaning about USB support for such a long time that it seemed like this moment will never arrive :) Congratulations to all the devs involved!

Now, what i'd like to know if it will be possible to debug via a USB cable. More recent hardware doesn't have serial ports, so this may be what's needed to get some better real-hardware debug going.
I'd be happy if we can just debug to a file in the USB..to begin with :)
USB to USB would be cool..
aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

Pesho wrote:Now, what i'd like to know if it will be possible to debug via a USB cable. More recent hardware doesn't have serial ports, so this may be what's needed to get some better real-hardware debug going.
That would be very cool, but it's not that easy. But once we finish/fix support for installing and booting a full installation from a USB drive, it will be much easier to debug on real hardware using the log to file option since you can just reboot and read the log from your primary OS.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

But log to file does not save kernel debugger output in the log. If ros fails it stops on the epic fail / assert
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
igorko

Post by igorko »

If someone is still not aware, we have USB Todo wiki page here . Please add your issues to the list if you want to help and test USB. Looks like you will need to build ISO by yourself because branch is updated very often and there will be little problematic to provide fresh iso.
(But if you want to get it anyway, you can ping me in IRC and i will provide it asap)
igorko

Post by igorko »

vicmarcal wrote:Cameron Gutman and Johannes Anderwald, with the help of Pierre Schweitzer's mount manager, have successfully gotten USB drives to work in ReactOS.
Mount manager is still not used at all (not included in bootcd)
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

Does USB drivers / Controllers support hot plugging?
aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

Radhad wrote:Does USB drivers / Controllers support hot plugging?
Yes, we support hot-plugging in the USB stack.