Random ideas for downloadable apps for 0.3.14

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SomeGuy

Random ideas for downloadable apps for 0.3.14

Post by SomeGuy »

Since there was a call to test apps listed in the Application Manager download utility, it got me thinking about what could be listed to help make a good or interesting first impression of ReactOS.

Specifically for 0.3.14 (what some are calling the "pi" release) I nominate "SuperPI": http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/36 ... _v1.5.html

A little Win32 utility that calculates PI! :D Not fancy but seems to work well anyway.

Personally I also nominate Disasteroids 3D: http://www.lmnopc.com/disasteroids3d/

It's an OpenGL game but it runs decently on a fast CPU even though ReactOS uses software emulation. The sound also works well and isn't choppy.

Any other ideas? There have got to be some other small, simple, win32 games or things out there that aren't bundled with crapware (I was going to recommend Winzip but then I noticed how much crapware is bundled with the current one now - ill just stick with my old tiny 7.0, couldn't get 16.0 to run under ReactOS anyway)

BTW, since I am thinking about it, the downloaded URL for PuTTY needs to be updated, the current one is gone 404. There is a new version just released anyway.
milon

Re: Random ideas for downloadable apps for 0.3.14

Post by milon »

Keep in the mind the guidelines for software that can go with ROS.

Also, WinZip? People still use that? ;) Check out 7-Zip - it's actually FREE and has no "crapware" with it.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

milon wrote:Keep in the mind the guidelines for software that can go with ROS.
Those guidelines are for direct inclusion in the OS itself. Anything can go in the downloader. They already include a number Microsoft runtime redistributable libraries and STEAM of all things, so that's obviously not important there. It's basically just supposed to be a quick list of ReactOS compatible stuff you can download from the internet without having to download a browser first.
milon

Post by milon »

Oh, my bad! Thanks for correcting me. =)
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

I use winRAR but sadly its not free so 7-zip is an alternative, I have no idea why anyone would still use winzip.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Winzip used to be very popular around here. For a long time it was *the* zip utility to use on Microsoft Windows. The last time I had checked (version 12) it was still a decent program. Obviously you are quite right, like so many once good software products it has "jumped the shark" and deteriorated in to a mess :cry: .

My thought was to list some downloadable application with a name that many people would recognize. I just can't think of any good ones off hand.

I still think some more simple Win32 based games (GDI graphics, waveout sound, no crazy runtimes) would nice to list, but again I can't think of any good ones.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I stopped using WinZip whenever it stopped being free. Paying for a compression utility is just ridiculous.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
steveh

Post by steveh »

no need for winzip.
7-zip, which is already in the Reactos application download catalog, works perfect and has all features.
7-zip is the most, or one of the most complete, free compression tool, and can also open "rar" compressed archives, i think.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Yes, it supports pretty much everything.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Ok, ok, enough about Winzip. I'm sorry I even mentioned it. :roll:

So really, nobody has come across any other simple small Win32 games or utilities that might be good candidates?
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I can think of lots of great Win32 games. Check my website at http://www.classicdosgames.com/win9x.html. Games that require DirectX list that requirement.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Hmm, some of those games I didn't know they had demo versions of.

Looking around I also found some old winsite archives that have games developed for earlier "NT". I tried some of them and a couple actually run and look rather decent under ReactOS. http://ftp.funet.fi/index/win-nt/Winsite/games/
GlennLChugg

Post by GlennLChugg »

If your after games, feel free to re-package any of the ones I include, or just include the pack

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9881

Of cause the 2 remaining bugs will need to be ironed out if you wanted to include the whole Games pack, but the Bitmap bug fix has made many of the games fully functional without the Launcher, so all the games I included are freeware, open sourced or have been collected by me legally for redistribution (limited licensing agreements, but it's only 3 or 4 games in this pack).

ReactOS need more bugs fixed before including ANY extra apps, those who are smart enough to fix things, already have their own test .iso to place in ReactOS VM's etc, so they don't need incentive, and the rate of ReactOS's bug repairs I doubt adding more apps to the release will make any meaningful bug reports or attract new developers to help.

The downloader needs more work, with the software stores available in all other OS's, it's just sad using this now :P but I understand the need to walk before we run, so no rush on fixing it up, just get to work clearing out those crippling bugs team, it hurts me to see such hard work sitting around on a few unstable API's still :(

I tried to catch up but man there is a lot to this OS and not being fluent in C sure slowed me down.
rosfanatic

Post by rosfanatic »

I just tried that disasteroids, it's actually not shabby ;)

Steam is included in the supported apps? Didn't realize that. I wonder if any steam-enabled games will run yet ;)
.NET MVC web project- subdomain custom mapping, ie: bank of america and chase bank locations and now an ASP.Net Core based pokemon app at pokefind
Sof_T

Post by Sof_T »

rosfanatic wrote:I just tried that disasteroids, it's actually not shabby ;)

Steam is included in the supported apps? Didn't realize that. I wonder if any steam-enabled games will run yet ;)
I seem to remember a video of half-life running with a few issues.