Preloaded?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Twarrior

Post by Twarrior »

Also to add to this topic, instead of trying to "Be Like Mike (ro-shaft)" we should give more choice, options, power, flexability and do our own thing and allow others to do theirs. The hell with being exactly like MS. Who needs that?!

With all of these open source projects and ReactOS planning on using Ext2, anything and everything can over time easily be supportive.

(http://www.aros.org) Amiga GUI and DOS, (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net) Legacy DOS Support, Commodore, Legacy Apple, Linux and alot more.

This ability, with any luck, in the future make ReactOS a powerful standard allowing any and all standards to be supported within it by default of being open source.

Dave
Bobus

Post by Bobus »

Twarrior wrote: Being a FREE alternative to Windows, Reactos is by DEFAULT a compeditor and once we meet and beat Windows, MS will see ReactOS as a serious threat.
:lol: Really nice. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but beating Windows seems to be a too far plan for now. UNIX was there before Windows, it definitely is far more powerful, but it was never to beat MS.
Twarrior wrote:The hell with being exactly like MS. Who needs that?!
Assuming the first paragraph, I will need it. As long as 85% of people use IE to look at the websites I create, I will use IE-based browsers to develop the sites. It's a DE FACTO standard.

Otherwise, before ROS 1.0 will be offered, there will be other de facto standards created (guess by whom) and the OS will be out of date. MS will not wait for ROS and others.

The possibility is cooperation. That's why I mentioned IE, that's why there is win32 compatibility, etc.
Twarrior

Post by Twarrior »

Bobus wrote:
Twarrior wrote: Being a FREE alternative to Windows, Reactos is by DEFAULT a compeditor and once we meet and beat Windows, MS will see ReactOS as a serious threat.
:lol: Really nice. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but beating Windows seems to be a too far plan for now. UNIX was there before Windows, it definitely is far more powerful, but it was never to beat MS.
Twarrior wrote:The hell with being exactly like MS. Who needs that?!
Assuming the first paragraph, I will need it. As long as 85% of people use IE to look at the websites I create, I will use IE-based browsers to develop the sites. It's a DE FACTO standard.

Otherwise, before ROS 1.0 will be offered, there will be other de facto standards created (guess by whom) and the OS will be out of date. MS will not wait for ROS and others.

The possibility is cooperation. That's why I mentioned IE, that's why there is win32 compatibility, etc.
Microsoft has made too many mistakes. Linux awareness is spreading like wildfire so in all honesty, your wrong. Not to mention -- you have the browswer issue backwards. All browsers support standard WC3 Code. MS also supports it. However, MS has *its own code* that goes away from standards that OTHER browsers will not support.

I'm not saying don't included an MSIE Clone. In fact, what i said was, don't make it THE ONLY browser. Give people A CHOICE.

Dave
Bobus

Post by Bobus »

I have nothing against the choice. I just don't want people to forget about MS - whatever is said, it defines the rules today, and it looks like it will do so tomorrow, too...
But I definitely do not agree with the statement about the browsers. IE nor Mozilla do not support W3C HTML4 standard at 100%. Mozilla has a buggy CSS rendering and IE... well, it really has *it's own code* :lol:
Twarrior

Post by Twarrior »

Bobus wrote:I have nothing against the choice. I just don't want people to forget about MS - whatever is said, it defines the rules today, and it looks like it will do so tomorrow, too...
But I definitely do not agree with the statement about the browsers. IE nor Mozilla do not support W3C HTML4 standard at 100%. Mozilla has a buggy CSS rendering and IE... well, it really has *it's own code* :lol:
Standards come and standards go. But the true standard would be the "standard non-standard" meaning, OS's like reactos natively supporting everything. I think OS's should be no different than applications. Theres 10,000 different apps for graphics, music, etc... and people choose a favorite because its the interface they enjoy the most. Why should an OS be different? Graphics programs support all of the "standard formats" so why should OS's differ? Why not support all of the formats and allow anyone else to add support for new formats?

OS's are really a glorified application anyways.

Dave
Ratteler

Post by Ratteler »

The only way 85% of your traffic would be IE is if you used some MS specific code that's not supported in other browsers.

IE is the Typhod Mary of browsers. Every Exploit, every hijack, every vunlerabilty is aimed at IE.

If I could... I would remove it from my genuine Windows perminatly.

This point is moot. IE is proprietery anyway. If ReactOS included it the distro the site would be shut down before the torrents could be seeded.

Firefox has about 40% market penetration. It is the TRUE standards based browser, and open source which mean it can legally be included in any distrobution.

I personally would like to see a Control Panel option to change "Explorer" and "IExplorer" as the defaults in ReactOS.

In fact. They are not part of the OS per se, but simply programs that are run under the OS.

Explorer is a Desktop Environment and could be replaced with anything the user pleases. There have been a few hacks that replace Explorer in the past. They never gained popularity because they failed to do anything better that Exploere, used too many resources, or were slightly glitchy when loading other programs.

IE is simply a Browser it SHOULD be able to be replaced by any Browser the user chooses. MS attempted to prevent other browsers by tangling the IE code in with the OS.

If YOU choose to download IE and get it working under ReactOS good for you. But as far as assembling a distro with it... that is impossible.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ratteler wrote:If I could... I would remove it from my genuine Windows perminatly.
hehe: http://nliteos.com/

Or for a manual aproach dealing with Windows 2000: http://vorck.com/remove-ie.html
Bobus

Post by Bobus »

Ratteler wrote:The only way 85% of your traffic would be IE is if you used some MS specific code that's not supported in other browsers.
It probably depends on where you live. In the Czech Republic (that's where I work) Firefox has 12% of traffic, 85% is for IE and the resting 3% are Conqueror, Safari, NN, pocket and text browsers...
IE is preloaded in every PC you can buy, so for many people there is no point in changing to something better.
Concerning the code, I always check the backward compatibility with Gecko.
Twarrior

Post by Twarrior »

Bobus wrote:
Ratteler wrote:The only way 85% of your traffic would be IE is if you used some MS specific code that's not supported in other browsers.
It probably depends on where you live. In the Czech Republic (that's where I work) Firefox has 12% of traffic, 85% is for IE and the resting 3% are Conqueror, Safari, NN, pocket and text browsers...
IE is preloaded in every PC you can buy, so for many people there is no point in changing to something better.
Concerning the code, I always check the backward compatibility with Gecko.
There is always a point in changing to something better, especially when it is a free download. For people who insist on using IE, thats why you use code that all browsers support and not "IE Specific" code.

Dave
oiaohm

Ok 85% use my personal web site crasher Cool.

Post by oiaohm »

IE + wine partical versions equals stuffed packets + IIS equal no more site if appache might be a DOS.

I really would recommend that no site builder build for IE alown because a linux user forcing IE to work with the wrong version of wine. You will have big trouble.