List of 300+ Windows 8 features that Microsoft didn't show

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: List of 300+ Windows 8 features that Microsoft didn't sh

Post by EmuandCo »

SomeGuy wrote:it is also a problem for people who need to go from computer to computer. Move a single icon on a users desktop and get an angry call later that their computer is "all different" now. Forget about switching to the classic mode or turning off other garbage.
I fully second this as System Administrator trainee ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

@SomeGuy & EmuandCo: Hehe, I kind of agree with your definition of average Joe and also share similar experience with them :) But still, some remarks:
SomeGuy wrote:Some average Joe who gets a machine with Windows 8
We are talking about developer preview here, so 1) there are ideally only power users trying it out and 2) many things will change, including the behaviour and the options of UI presented to user in RTM.
SomeGuy wrote:Forget about switching to the classic mode or turning off other garbage.
Start menu has a long history of being a bit modifiable and (in XP and Vista) having a possibility to turn on the "classic mode", I think that this will be in some way kept also for the new version regarding the Metro.

I hope so, otherwise I will either stay at Win7 or the new Metro overlay will kill me.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
so i wonder how many tons of extra censored thay are going to add to windows 8 that most users do not need want or know how to use the imho the ribbon interfase is rubbish

edit
better question
how many of the new features of windows 8 can be added to windows xp without having to do any major modification to the os by using third party software and can you really trust microsoft software for example BitLocker going by microsoft past the answer is NO
Ruby-DOS

Post by Ruby-DOS »

Microsoft is doing what they can to drop Windows XP as it is over a decade old. You'd be lucky to find third-party support for Windows 8 apps.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
I have had a look at windows 8 developer preview and I do not like !! the metro desktop or the Ribbon Interface so if reactos can run the windows 8 software it is pointless because software developers are not going to stop supporting windows xp untill 2014 that may get increased to 2015/16 then I am going to use RT 7 Lite to remove the crap i do not need or want or will use from windows 7 but if Reactos is ready for everyday use then i will use Reactos
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Metro is useless and ineffective for mouse control. Thus it's a bad step backwards to force everyone into it
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
milon

Post by milon »

If, as Black_Fox suggested, we have the ability to turn Metro on and off then we're not forcing anyone to use it. Isn't the goal of ROS to be Windows compatible - to the point that an average end-user wouldn't notice the change? I myself wouldn't use Metro, but there are many users who will.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

milon wrote:If, as Black_Fox suggested, we have the ability to turn Metro on and off then we're not forcing anyone to use it. Isn't the goal of ROS to be Windows compatible - to the point that an average end-user wouldn't notice the change? I myself wouldn't use Metro, but there are many users who will.
But Metro is not in 2003, which is our standard for now. Plus I am not sure how many kernels changes would be necessary to implement it.
lcvcray

Post by lcvcray »

So is ReactOS a logical replacement for Windows 8 at this point, or should we wait for the "beta" stage?
I love Wool Rugs, especially Sheepskin Rugs!
milon

Post by milon »

http://www.reactos.org/
ReactOS Home Page wrote:Please bear in mind that ReactOS 0.3.13 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is not recommended for everyday use.
And we're not attempting to be Windows 8. We're not even stable yet. ;)
I encourage you to read the forums to learn more, or even get a copy of VirtualBox and the most recent dev release (bottom of downloads page) and check it out!
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

lcvcray wrote:So is ReactOS a logical replacement for Windows 8 at this point, or should we wait for the "beta" stage?
ReactOS is currently aimed as Windows 2003 replacement.
wt4bm

Post by wt4bm »

I think it's time for me to get a copy of VirtualBox and give ReactOS a try. It is always better to try new things, rather than ignore.