wonder why they targert windows server 2003

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zed260

wonder why they targert windows server 2003

Post by zed260 »

kernal and not windows 7 kernel
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

I believe it goes back to Alex_Ionescu's work on the kernel. See also this article.
Yaraslau

Re: wonder why they targert windows server 2003

Post by Yaraslau »

I have a question. A bit off-topic, but about kernel.

Many programs require at least Windows Vista or Windows Seven, and definitely no support for Windows XP. Reactos is going to be compatible with Win2003 kernel. Are there any possibilities, that ROS will work with that software, that doesn't support XP?
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Yes.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Yaraslau wrote:Many programs require at least Windows Vista or Windows Seven, and definitely no support for Windows XP.
Since when? Half of the computers in the world are still running XP! Windows Vista/7 are still NT-based. The only reason to require Vista/7 is if you're going to require DirectX 10/11, or if you're only going to make a 64-bit version of your program. Most software will continue to run on Windows XP for years to come.

As for ReactOS, it should, in theory, run software for any NT-based OS. Again, 64-bit support and support for DX10+ would be the main things it would need in order to maintain compatibility with Windows software into the future.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
ironek69

Post by ironek69 »

DOSGuy wrote:
Yaraslau wrote:Many programs require at least Windows Vista or Windows Seven, and definitely no support for Windows XP.
Since when? Half of the computers in the world are still running XP! Windows Vista/7 are still NT-based. The only reason to require Vista/7 is if you're going to require DirectX 10/11, or if you're only going to make a 64-bit version of your program. Most software will continue to run on Windows XP for years to come.

As for ReactOS, it should, in theory, run software for any NT-based OS. Again, 64-bit support and support for DX10+ would be the main things it would need in order to maintain compatibility with Windows software into the future.
There is 64bit version of WinXP, so only DirectX remains as a main blocker.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

64bit XP is in reality a rebranded 64bit Windows 2003. And few developers actually explicitly work to support either of those two. I know the group I work with doesn't, and when we finally do provide a native 64bit Windows binary, we'll mark minimum requirements as Vista.
zed260

Post by zed260 »

the xp 64 bit edition never relly gained traction

theirs more windows 98 users out there then there are xp 64 bit users

as far as 64 bit os support goes the first true consumer 64 bit os was vista and the first one to catch on is windows 7
Yaraslau

Post by Yaraslau »

DOSGuy wrote:Since when? Half of the computers in the world are still running XP! Windows Vista/7 are still NT-based. The only reason to require Vista/7 is if you're going to require DirectX 10/11, or if you're only going to make a 64-bit version of your program. Most software will continue to run on Windows XP for years to come.
Sony Vegas Pro requires at least Win Vista. Paint.NET and Sibelius the same.
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Paint.NET? Since when? I've used it on Server 2k3 few months ago.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Yaraslau wrote:Sony Vegas Pro requires at least Win Vista. Paint.NET and Sibelius the same.
Actually the next Pain(t).NET will require Seven or later, because of some 2D hardware acceleration features (see its blog for details). But since it require .NET anyway, and AFAIR neither .NET nor Mono work on ROS, it is not an issue anyway.
Otherwise I confirm what Pisarz says: the current version 3.5.10 runs fine on XP 32bits/.NET 2.0 client profile.

There are indeed some new features (functions) in Vista and later kernels, but as long as the developers does not purposely use them, their software will work on XP. Of course this is before the marketing moves in. :evil:
Yaraslau

Post by Yaraslau »

Pisarz wrote:Paint.NET? Since when? I've used it on Server 2k3 few months ago.
The author said that no XP support would be available. I use Corel Photo-PAINT and GIMP, so it doesn't matter in fact. :) But Sony Vegas requires Vista and Seven. That's bad news. Only Sony Movie Studio HD (some kind of cutted version of Vegas Pro) works in Windows XP and later.

I suppose, that someday Reactos will support the newest kernel. :roll:
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

This might be true, cause I had no font anti-aliasing on 2k3.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Pisarz wrote:This might be true,
I lost you here. What are you referring to?
Pisarz wrote:cause I had no font anti-aliasing on 2k3.
That's odd. I don't have w2k3 handy, but have you tried the ClearType PowerToy? Oh, and you may need to start the theming service for it to work.
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Actually, I was refering to lack of some features in Paint.NET on Server 2k3 (which I don't use anymore, cause I've moved back to my Linux PC which I've brought back to life month ago).