ODBC

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

msheehan

ODBC

Post by msheehan »

We are a small company working on using ReactOS in our office in order to break free of closed source code. We are currently running an SQL server and we need to how to setup a ODBC connection?
Thanks
DOSGuy

Re: ODBC

Post by DOSGuy »

Sorry to answer your question with a question, but are you running ReactOS on virtual machines or real hardware?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
inf_loop

Post by inf_loop »

As far as I know, ODBC support in ReactOS is non existant. It depends on wine ODBC implementation, which depends on Linux ODBC implementation. A developer with more knowledge than myself could elaborate more on the subject.
Techno Mage

Post by Techno Mage »

ReactOS is currently in beta. Not stable enough to trust your database stuff with yet.

Microsoft has just released an ODBC driver for MSSQL on Linux.
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

Techno Mage wrote:ReactOS is currently in beta. Not stable enough to trust your database stuff with yet.

Microsoft has just released an ODBC driver for MSSQL on Linux.
Alpha actually
Techno Mage

Post by Techno Mage »

Yer a little er ah typo, ReatOS is in Alpha, and the 0.4 phase will be Alpha too, unless that changes, it depends on how stable ReactOS becomes.
Yaraslau

Post by Yaraslau »

msheehan wrote:...in order to break free of closed source code...
What does it mean?
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Yaraslau wrote:
msheehan wrote:...in order to break free of closed source code...
What does it mean?
Open source rules, closed source drools?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
rosfanatic

Post by rosfanatic »

ODBC would be nice, especially now that I read that oledb is being phased out in favor of odbc... never woulda expected that...
.NET MVC web project- subdomain custom mapping, ie: bank of america and chase bank locations and now an ASP.Net Core based pokemon app at pokefind
inf_loop

Post by inf_loop »

Maybe they can sponsor a port of unixODBC... the problem would be, who can do this? Anyway, I think its better that they use a mature alternative such as a Linux based solution...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

inf_loop wrote:Maybe they can sponsor a port of unixODBC... the problem would be, who can do this? Anyway, I think its better that they use a mature alternative such as a Linux based solution...
We would have to do it the Microsoft way. Reactos is a Windows clone, not a Linux clone. Yes, it uses Wine code, but only the parts that would theoretically work under Windows, and none of what is specific to Linux. Porting things from Linux to Windows is often harder than writing stuff from scratch.
inf_loop

Post by inf_loop »

Yes PurpleGurl, I agree. The implementation should be as close to the MS one as possible. But if there is code to be reused, why not reuse it?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

inf_loop wrote:Yes PurpleGurl, I agree. The implementation should be as close to the MS one as possible. But if there is code to be reused, why not reuse it?
You pretty much summed up the difficulty..."if there is code to be reused." That is a big if. The thing is, if it is written for Linux, it may not be possible for us to reuse it. Reactos/Windows are that different from Linux. The only good a lot of Linux code would do us would be for study purposes. Being that incompatible under the hood is what complicates things. Plus to complicate things more, few others see reason to make most Windows components open source, since they already exist in Windows. So we cannot legally use Windows stuff and we are not compatible with Linux stuff. Of course, there are exceptions and tidbits.

So I agree, if we can avoid reinventing the wheel, we should do so.
visualprog

Post by visualprog »

Hello
ReactOS and MySQL ODBC Driver, see my video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwrnajbTFf4

Descript.
VisualProg running under ReactOS, communicates with the Arduino Mini Pro microcontroller and data is stored in the MySQL database via the MySQL ODBC driver.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Useful post.

However, please check forum posting rules especially with regard to necro-posting. This will protect you from abrasive comments regarding rules, that might spring from your posts.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.