reactos foundation should

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zed260

reactos foundation should

Post by zed260 »

burn and sell reactos on cds

that way can raise money while getting the word out about reactos

http://www.mepis.org/value-cd

many other not so well known linux distros do this and it helps them raise money
livestrong2109

Re: reactos foundation should

Post by livestrong2109 »

If ROS was in beta I'd support it but the project is far from stable enough to start distributing CD releases. It would likely damage our reputation with those that receive the CDs and don't fully understand the state of the project or the insane level of progress it has made this year.
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer
zed260

Post by zed260 »

livestrong2109 wrote:If ROS was in beta I'd support it but the project is far from stable enough to start distributing CD releases. It would likely damage our reputation with those that receive the CDs and don't fully understand the state of the project or the insane level of progress it has made this year.
well during the early days of linux when it was even less stable then reactos they shared cds/floopys it was only quick way to send the needed files to build/compile/install linux

some people have dialup and stuff so they cant easily download reactos
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

I would disagree with this. I think a better way to go would be to sell merchandise.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-appare ... ment/59ce/
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Overheard in 1991

Guy 1: "What's this?"
Guy 2: "It's a new operating system called Linux."
Guy 1: "Does it work?"
Guy 2: "No, but it's okay because it's a new operating system that's not trying to be compatible with any existing operating system."
Guy 1: "That's cool. If it was supposed to be a replacement for Windows, but it didn't work, obviously I'd just stick with Windows."

If you're going to release an operating system that is a clone of an existing operating (that 90% of the world is using), it should work.

It's 2011. Most people have decent internet connections, and if someone on dialup believes in this project enough to try ReactOS in alpha stage, they'll invest the time to download the mere 20-50 MB package that they need. It's not like downloading a Windows 7 DVD.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
zed260

Post by zed260 »

Murmur wrote:I would disagree with this. I think a better way to go would be to sell merchandise.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-appare ... ment/59ce/
good idea i like that idea a lot to atleast untill reactos beta
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

I'm just going to toss in here that distributing physical CDs really is a great way to distribute software. Back in the day I was able to get some folks to try Firefox 2 because I gave them a nice shiny factory pressed official Firefox CD. Nice Shiny = Not yet another scary crappy "free download". They didn't even care that it would basically re-download the entire thing to update from 2.0.0.1 (or whatever it was) to 2.0.0.12 (or whatever current revision was up at the time). Sadly, Mozilla totally %#cked themselves out of being able to make CDs with that rapid version number BS. (Who would want a month old Firefox "5" CD when "7" is already out?)

Of course ReactOS isn't quite ready for CDs yet. Perhaps on the magic far off day when ReactOS reaches 1.0.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Yeah, I remember those days when I was a prognosticator for Firefox. Firefox was awesome and IE sucked big green donkey dicks by comparison. I agree that handing out CDs is great publicity, but you have to be handing out a mature product that is going to work for most of the people who use it. Someday.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.