WinRT new api for WIN8 and ROS?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

oswetto

WinRT new api for WIN8 and ROS?

Post by oswetto »

WinRT is a new set of APIs that have the following properties:
It implements the new Metro look.
Has a simple UI programming model for Windows developers (You do not need to learn Win32, what an HDC, WndProc or LPARAM is).
It exposes the WPF/Silverlight XAML UI model to developers.
The APIs are all designed to be asynchronous.
It is a sandboxed API, designed for creating self-contained, AppStore-ready applications. You wont get everything you want to create for example Backup Software or Hard Disk Partitioning software.
The API definitions is exposed in the ECMA 335 metadata format (the same one that .NET uses, you can find those as ".winmd" files).

WinRT wraps both the new UI system as well as old Win32 APIs and it happens that this implementation is based on top of COM.
Murmur

Re: WinRT new api for WIN8 and ROS?

Post by Murmur »

http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/supers ... n32-140605

[ external image ]

==

This is obviously posted in "we are not even thinking about it" but it could be good for discussion on opinions and usefulness of it.
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

Metro... oh jeez. :|
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
have you tride the windows 8 Developer Preview http://windows8beta.com/2011/09/downloa ... er-preview the metro desktop [ external image ] [ external image ]
maybe good for tablet computers but not for a desktop pc or netbook /laptops
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

We are aware of that, but it's all about compatibility with whatever relevant Windows feature implemented anyway. And I think that Metro is important, even when it's useless. But... If you could implement it in better way... Make it more usable.
ch_123

Post by ch_123 »

An open source Win RT layer would be an interesting thing to work on for a WINE-like project. I think though that ReactOS should concentrate on making a usable Win32 OS first. It's going to be a long, long time before WinRT is more relevant than Win32.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
i guess a better question will windows 8 be another windows vista a complete failure !! and if it is a complete failure then Win RT layer will not be needed until windows 9 or 10
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

MadWolf wrote:hi
i guess a better question will windows 8 be another windows vista a complete failure !! and if it is a complete failure then Win RT layer will not be needed until windows 9 or 10
If Vista was a complete failure, why has wine and ReactOS implimented API's from it? Just because it's a "failure" doesn't mean it shouldn't be supported.

FlyingIsFun1217
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

MadWolf wrote:i guess a better question will windows 8 be another windows vista a complete failure !! and if it is a complete failure then Win RT layer will not be needed until windows 9 or 10
Did you ever try using it? I do, 2 years on my previous lappy, and over 1.5 year on a desktop workstation. Windows 7 is less stable than it, i`m getting months on 24/7 uptime easily,
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, ever thought about the fact that the apis you call vista apis are inside win7, too?!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Sof_T

Post by Sof_T »

Vista's fine, many teething troubles, but I'm far more comfortable with it at home than the Win7 machines at work. Compatibility is much better now than when it was first released, but then XP wasn't all plain sailing either.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

not everyone likes the metro ui.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

Haos wrote:
MadWolf wrote:i guess a better question will windows 8 be another windows vista a complete failure !! and if it is a complete failure then Win RT layer will not be needed until windows 9 or 10
Did you ever try using it? I do, 2 years on my previous lappy, and over 1.5 year on a desktop workstation. Windows 7 is less stable than it, i`m getting months on 24/7 uptime easily,
yes on a laptop that was probably too slow to run it and the public beta on my main computer at the time
Last edited by MadWolf on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The123king

Post by The123king »

Dave3434 wrote:not everyone likes the metro ui.
I genuinely don't know of anyone who does.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

The123king wrote:
Dave3434 wrote:not everyone likes the metro ui.
I genuinely don't know of anyone who does.
They will MAKE you like it. :twisted: