Congratulations.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aeneas

Congratulations.

Post by Aeneas »

http://www.reactos.org/en/news_page_67.html

Congratulations where such are due!

Given that Medvedev is "not a noob", he might indeed forward the matter to appropriate people - like those other potential investors who have seen it before that, too, and who might be willing to support things a bit. This, esteemed fellows, is just the type of "marketing experiment" I was hinting at... though never having imagined such a remarkable step.

Who knows? Maybe you will get your own "Red Hat equivalent" from Russia (offering you a job, too...). I certainly wish you all the best.
Murmur

Re: Congratulations.

Post by Murmur »

I would also like to give you congrats and hope that everything starts to fall into place.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

;)
MazeMage

Post by MazeMage »

I'd also like to give my congratulations. Maybe this project will some interest from people with money now.

Still I was a surprise to read:
...Marat [Karatov] said that the OS was ready approximately for 80% of real world usage..."
Really? That doesn't sound at all like what I've been hearing from this site.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Fantastic news!
:arrow: And BIG THANKS to all the people involved that made this happen.
MazeMage wrote: Still I was a surprise to read:
...Marat [Karatov] said that the OS was ready approximately for 80% of real world usage..."
I think that the key words here are "real world usage" and according to the Compatability Database Office, Quake, Doom and Solitaire works, so what else one may desire? :lol:
woutervh

Post by woutervh »

Also on bbc-technology site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14899507

Nice publicity :-)
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

fred02 wrote:I think that the key words here are "real world usage" and according to the Compatability Database Office, Quake, Doom and Solitaire works, so what else one may desire? :lol:
Sims 3, WoW and perhaps some Crisis, Call of Duty, Battlefield, no idea. But in all seriousness, 80% might indeed be true. The trick is implementing missing details and some missing technologies.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

The 80% number can be true depending on what part of the "real world" you are looking at. For an x86 PDA/Tablet/Kiosk that is only designed to run a single Win32 application shell ReactOS could work RIGHT NOW! :D On the other hand big missing parts like integrated SMB/CIFS client or print spooler would be a show stopper for business desktop use.
woutervh wrote:Also on bbc-technology site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14899507

Nice publicity :-)
Nice screen shot 8-)

Somebody should submit this story to Slashdot.
Witch

Post by Witch »

Aeneas wrote:http://www.reactos.org/en/news_page_67.html
Who knows? Maybe you will get your own "Red Hat equivalent" from Russia (offering you a job, too...). I certainly wish you all the best.
1. The sparking factor
If Russia would start supporting this project in a more public manner. Then USA and China will have to jump on the wagon as well if they don't want to be left behind in the dust. The Russian government is the sparking factor to that outcome.

2. Delta Δ
When the triangle has been connected (Russia-USA-China) most private companies around the world will follow suit.

3. CURE
Then bureaucratic EU joins in and the CURE (China-USA-Russia-EU) for ReactOS is invented.

Easy as "3.14"!

woutervh

Post by woutervh »

MazeMage wrote: Still I was a surprise to read:
Who cares? Tons of products get sold before they're even started. Even Microsoft started this way (windows 1.0 was even thought to be vaporware).
With bluffing, one can earn some attention to go further...

grtz
jcalvarez

Post by jcalvarez »

"The system's developers say it runs all Windows programs, but is much faster than its Microsoft equivalent."

That's a scary statement...

JC
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Wine used to make the claim of being faster than Windows all of the time.

There were some instances where it was true, especially when comparing against inefficiencies in Windows 9x. However more often than not things worked faster because it was not doing things that needed to be done underneath the hood.

I think the article was mainly talking about ReactOS boot time, which is currently true. However ReactOS currently does not load a hojillion services at startup like Windows does.
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

This is indeed great news, i only hope that it doesn't turn out to be the type of short-lasting news where there is a lot of PR and bold statements, but nothing actually happens... :? This needs to be slashdotted while it's still fresh.
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

During conversation with the president, Marat said that the OS was ready approximately for 80% of real world usage and that roughly one million euros would be needed to complete its development within a year.
Did I just read that ReactOS only needs a million dollars to be "complete" within one year? I'll gladly promote that fundraising campaign!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.