3D drivers (OpenGL) for Reactos

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Geri_lgfx

3D drivers (OpenGL) for Reactos

Post by Geri_lgfx »

dear reactors :P

at the moment, i searching for alternative platforms for my driver architecture.

i heard, 3d in reactos is unusable, becouse the official 3d drivers does not work, etc.

MAYBEE i can give a temporary solution for this problem, IF the community is interested.

-I have an own ogl 1.4 driver architecture ( http://gerigeri.uw.hu/TitaniumGL/gamerdown.html ), jt has a multithreaded software renderer module (can split the graphics rendering into multiple CPU cores, and compute the graphics parallely on multiple cores)
-This driver is 2x-20x faster than mesa (depends on game, and the number of cpu cores)
-This driver can run very lot of 3d games playable on a modern core2duo cpu, including popular opensource games such tuxkart, tuxracer, xmoto, and other classicals like quake2, quake3, stepmania, warcraft3, jedi academy, and most games those built on these engines.
-The driver is binary, and its FREE FOR HOME USE

so now i thinking to make a reactos compatible version. this depends on the community.

Should i make a ReactOS compatible version?

If i see enough interest from the community, i will port the driver.
Last edited by Geri_lgfx on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haos
Test Team

Re: 3D drivers (OpenGL) for Reactos

Post by Haos »

I`ll point Kamil to this thread, he is way more into the topic than me. Just wondering if this software renderer speedup is mostly due to using mutiple CPU/cores? In any way, a faster alternative to mesa would always be welcome warmly.
Geri_lgfx

Post by Geri_lgfx »

thx for your reply

tgl is faster than mesa on 1 cpu also (except some old rare opensource stuffs wich is highly optimised to mesa)
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Binary / "Free for home use" is not an option for anything to be packaged with reactos.
It has to be free open source software with a GNU GPL compatible license.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

If you`d need a branch for your porting work, i think there would be no problem arranging one. As Timo said, we have strict rules against importing binary modules, so you would need to pass properly licensed source.
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

ThePhysicist wrote:Binary / "Free for home use" is not an option for anything to be packaged with reactos.
It has to be free open source software with a GNU GPL compatible license.
This.

Next, DX support in reactos works via a DX->OGL wrapper so you'd have to modify your driver to work as a software renderer in reactos. Also to maintain the highest possible level of compatibility it would require you to provide an ICD interface for your driver.
Geri_lgfx

Post by Geri_lgfx »

it has ICD interface implemented, but i mostly sharing this renderer as an opengl32.dll, it just can copyed directly to the game directory, where the .exe is, or can the dll in system32 overwritten with it (after backuping the original).
ToM..MaS

Post by ToM..MaS »

Hi Geri_lgfx,

you are free to make it compatible with ReactOS and ship it from your website, but you can't expect us to include your binary driver.
Just imagine Microsoft would ship foreign closed source binary OS components form foreign companies. They won't.

1. Why is opening the source not an option for you?
2. Why is changing the license not an option for you?
3. Are there any licensing problems in your code?

Kind regards

Thomas
Geri_lgfx

Post by Geri_lgfx »

hey i not asked reactos creators to include my binary driver into reactos :P

i asked the community, to say something, if they need a port from my software :D

-Why is opening the source not an option for you?
-money

-Why is changing the license not an option for you?
-changing? to what? i cant make it to be more freeware :P

-Are there any licensing problems in your code?
-no
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, we talk about GPLv2, LGPL, GPLv3, BSD License. Anything opening the source to us and being compatible to these.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Geri_lgfx

Post by Geri_lgfx »

Well, depends on, with what things would be i honored, if i would create an opensource fork from the software?
Angelus

Post by Angelus »

If it can't be open source, the compatible driver can be pointed from the Download! application to your download web address. A GPL and so on licenses implies to free up the sources. And ReactOS is under almost GPL license. Take a look at the intellectual property policy wiki page.
ToM..MaS

Post by ToM..MaS »

What kind of honor - that we could give - can you imagine?

Kind regards

Thomas
forart

Post by forart »

Geri_lgfx wrote:-Why is opening the source not an option for you?
-money

-Why is changing the license not an option for you?
-changing? to what? i cant make it to be more freeware :P

-Are there any licensing problems in your code?
-no
You have to study better what open source means (free as in freedom, not free as free beer):
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_libre

To understand even better what you can do check out FairUse Wizard approach: http://www.fairusewizard.com/

You can also make (mutch) money with donations too. Here's a couple of examples:

http://www.ardour.org/
http://www.haiku-os.org/

Last but not least, closed source - expecially for such kind of software - means certain failure.

note: keep also in consideration that you're probably *already* infringing some existing licenses...
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Geri_lgfx

Post by Geri_lgfx »

My softwares does NOT infringing any licenses. This software does NOT infringing any licenses, becouse that would be impossible: every line is coded by myself. Please, in the future, do not slander me.

I have put this topic up, to know if this community needs this software, and not to argue on licenses.

After reading the commens, the peoples in this community not really would accept my software.
This means i will probably not spend time and energy on it to create a reactos compatible version, becouse probably there would be too few users, and the porting would not worth it.

I will make the final decide about this after a few days, after i have read the existing and upcoming oppinions about it.